Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best reusable sandwich bags
Pack your lunch in style while protecting the environment.
Single-use disposable items like plastic sandwich bags are rapidly littering our oceans and landfills, contributing to the world’s massive plastic pollution problem — not to mention weighing you down with needless personal expense. The good news is that there’s a wide variety of reusable alternatives to plastic baggies, helping you cut costs while lending Mother Earth a helping hand.
Compare some of the best reusable sandwich bags
|Name||Average price||Material||Size (inches)||Dishwasher-safe?||What’s included?||Purchase|
|Lunchskins||$11||Fabric with food-safe polyurethane liner||6.5 x 6.5, 3.5 x 6.5||Yes||1 sandwich bag, 1 snack bag||Buy now|
|Rezip Lay-Flat||$20||FDA-grade, PVC-free PEVA||8.5 x 7.75||No||5 reusable bags||Buy now|
|Stasher||$12||Silicone||7.5 x 7.5||Yes||1 reusable bag||Buy now|
|QuaLeap Stand-Up||$15||FDA-grade, PVC-free PEVA||7.5 x 10, 5.7 x 8, 4.3 x 6||No||2 large, 2 medium, 3 small bags||Buy now|
|Bumkins||$7||Machine-washable cloth||7 x 7||Yes – top rack||1 sandwich bag||Buy now|
Types of reusable sandwich bags
Reusable sandwich bags come in a variety of materials, sizes and designs. The best material for you ultimately comes down to personal preference and what you’ll be using the bags for. The most popular options include:
- Silicone. Many popular brands of reusable bags are made of BPA-free silicone. This easy-to-clean material is flexible and transparent, so you can easily see what’s inside.
- PEVA. Polyethylene vinyl acetate — or PEVA — is a non-chlorinated vinyl material. Look for FDA-grade, PVC-free PEVA in food products like reusable bags.
- Waterproof fabric. Some bags are made of water-resistant fabrics like polyester or nylon and are usually lined with an easy-to-clean material. Certain models have Velcro or zipper closures.
- Machine-washable cloth. Toss these cloth bags in the washing machine when done to ensure they’re clean and ready to reuse.
- Lined burlap. Natural, unprocessed burlap is another popular choice. These cost-effective bags are usually lined with a waterproof material like nylon and are sealed with Velcro.
How to compare reusable sandwich bags
Consider these important features when shopping for reusable bags:
- Price. Reusable bags usually come in sets of at least two, but some come with upwards of 10 bags in a bundle. When comparing prices, make sure you’re looking at the price per bag, rather than the total price of the bundle. You’ll find a variety of options, starting as low as $5 and ranging up to $55 or more for a set.
- Material. Use the information in the above section to help figure out which type of bag might best suit your needs and personal preferences. Just make sure all materials are nontoxic and BPA-free.
- Size. Reusable bags come in all shapes and sizes. Pick one — or a set — that’ll work for sandwiches, snacks or other goodies you have in mind.
- Ease of cleaning. Make sure the bag’s material and design make it easy to clean, since bacteria can grow in nooks and crannies if not properly washed and dried.
- Intended use. If you’re looking for a bag to send with your young child to school, you might consider its durability over other factors. But if you’re shopping for yourself, other features like the design or appearance might carry more weight.
How to clean reusable sandwich bags
Cleaning instructions will vary based on the type of reusable bag you have. Be sure to follow specific instructions for your bags, as some are safe to put in the dishwasher — and even the washing machine — while others need to be hand-washed.
In general, use these tips to get your reusable bags squeaky-clean:
- Keep your bag turned right-side in, unless otherwise directed. Turning it inside out can cause the edges to break down faster, leading to rips.
- Disinfect your bag using a baking soda and white vinegar mixture, which can help remove sticky or caked-on messes.
- Consider placing silicone bags in boiling water to help sanitize and get rid of any lingering mold.
- Air-dry bags fully before putting them away, or thoroughly towel-dry them.
- Store bags open to avoid trapping moisture inside.
Packing reusable sandwich and snack bags can help save you money — and the planet. These bags come in a range of shapes, sizes and styles, so you’re bound to find the perfect fit for your snacking needs.
Don’t miss our guide to buying reusable grocery bags to help save the planet while you’re out and about.
How did we choose these products?
To compile our list of the best reusable sandwich bags, we compared the price, number of bags included, material, ease of cleaning and third-party online reviews of popular brands.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Where to buy sustainable face masks online
Shop organic cotton face masks and masks made of upcycled materials right here in the USA. Reduce your carbon footprint while covering up during COVID-19.
Top fanny packs for men
Stylish fanny packs for men — including designer styles.
Best weighted blankets in 2020
Snuggle up under these top-rated weighted blankets, designed to address a myriad of sleep concerns, from insomnia to night sweats.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
The 10 best face masks for every need
Looking for the best face mask for kids? How about people with beards or those who wear glasses? See our top 10 lineup of the best masks available right now.
Where to buy washable, reusable face masks
If you’re looking to invest in a protective face mask, save yourself some cash by purchasing a reusable option from one of these retailers.
Fashionable face masks
Check out the retailers turning face masks and face coverings into a fashion statement so that you can stay safe without compromising on style.
Where to buy clear face masks online
Order transparent, accessible face masks with a clear panel online from these top stores — and see where you can get fast and sometimes free shipping.
Ask an Expert