Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Retailer cashback reward programs
Earn money and gift cards at your fave retailers — with minimal effort.
- This article covers cashback rewards programs, not cashback credit cards.
Cashback apps help you earn moolah at big-box retailers like Amazon, Target, Walmart, Kroger, Best Buy and more, along with niche retailers that sell specialized goods. Shop through an app to earn cash and perks.
- Ibotta. Launched in 2011, this cashback app takes couponing digital. It has deals from more than 1,500 retailers.
- Mr. Rebates. One of the oldest platforms in the biz, Mr. Rebates takes a simplistic approach to cash back — and it won’t sell your browsing history to others.
- MyPoints. You’ll like MyPoints if you take pride in your opinions and are willing to trade them for points redeemable for gift cards at hundreds of retailers.
- Swagbucks. Watch videos, take surveys, shop online and play games to earn “bucks” you can cash out with a gift card or through PayPal.
Retailer rewards programs
If you frequently shop at one of these retailers, it’s worth signing up for a rewards program. It’s free to join, and unlike a credit card, you don’t need to worry about approval.
- Ace Hardware. Earn $5 simply by downloading its app, plus 10 points for every dollar.
- Best Buy. Get free shipping, points for every dollar, early access and exclusive deals when you sign up for My Best Buy.
- Kohl’s. This department store doles out 5% Kohl’s Cash on every purchase, which you can spend on future purchases down the line.
- Office Depot and OfficeMax. Rack up 2% in rewards every time you shop and get $2 when you recycle ink and toner cartridges.
- Petco. Get a point for every $1 spent through PalsRewards — and after reaching 100 points, get a $5 reward.
- Staples. Get up to 5% off when you stock up on office products from this nationwide retailer.
- Ulta. Earn one point for every dollar spent at this superstore’s Ultamate Rewards, whether you shop online or in person.
- Walgreens. Try Balance Rewards for perks on prescriptions, toilet paper, shampoo and other everyday essentials.
Cashback apps vs. retailer rewards
With a retailer loyalty program, you earn points by shopping with that specific retailer only. On the other hand, cashback apps let you shop and earn points at hundreds of retailers, restaurants, airlines, hotels, movie theaters and more.
Cashback apps and retailer rewards aren’t mutually exclusive. For instance, you could use a Mr. Rebate coupon at Ulta and still rack up Ultamate Rewards for every dollar you spend.
That said, you can earn cash or rewards quickly by being thoughtful about the platforms you sign up for. Ulta may reward you with 1 point for every $1, but Walgreens also doles out 100 points for every $1 on beauty purchases. Targeting one retailer for all your skincare and makeup needs — rather than splitting purchases between the two — can help you earn rewards faster.
More guides on Finder
Bellwether Smart Cash Card review
Earn flat 1.5% cashback on all purchases or save money with balance transfers.
What to expect from Walmart’s Big Save Event
Get ready to shop Walmart’s upcoming Big Save Event to rival Amazon Prime Day, offering discounts on everything from cute winter dresses to Roku products.
How to maximize your savings for Black Friday 2020
Black Friday deals will look different this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, but there are still plenty of ways to save. See our top tips for holiday savings.
Best credit cards for young professionals
Earn rewards on travel, dining, public transportation and other categories you spend the most in.
Small Business Saturday: How, where and why to shop
See how to support local businesses on Small Business Saturday this year, even if you prefer to shop online. Yes — even on Amazon.
Credit Karma to launch free checking account with rewards
The Credit Karma Money Checking account will have cashback rewards and zero fees for overdrafts, monthly maintenance and ATMs.
How does Mr. Rebates work?
Earn cashback at stores you likely already purchase from.
How do Walgreens rewards work?
Learn what Balance Rewards points are worth, plus how to earn them.
How do Ulta rewards work?
Calling all beauty lovers! Earn points on purchases online or in stores to spell savings and exclusive discounts throughout the year.
Bank of America® Cash Rewards Secured review
Earn cash back on your purchases and build your credit.
Ask an Expert