Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

How to refinance your house after a divorce

If you’re recently divorced or separated and own your home, it may be time to think about refinancing.

This article was reviewed by Marguerita Cheng, a member of the Finder Editorial Review Board and award-winning advocate for ethical financial planning for over 20 years.

Divorce is never easy, but refinancing the home you once shared with someone can help you move on with a fresh start. Refinancing allows you to take your ex-spouse’s name off the loan, protect your credit and potentially lock in a lower interest rate.

Here are five steps to refinancing a house after a divorce.

1. Determine who gets the house

Unless you’ve reached an agreement with your ex-partner about who will get the house, the matter will be referred to a court of law. Depending on the state you live in, any joint property will be divided using either the community property or equitable distribution (“common law”) approach. You can’t refinance until this is settled.

2. Find out if you qualify for a mortgage refinance

If you’re ready to refinance, the first step is to find out if you qualify. Apply online from a lender’s website or call a loan officer directly to get prequalified. Depending on the lender, provide estimates of your numbers or actual documentation to help speed up the process.

3. Compare multiple lenders to find the best rates

When refinancing, get at least three or four quotes to see the rates you qualify for and to compare lender costs and fees. Every lender is different, and you may be surprised to discover how much you can save on rates and closing costs simply by shopping around.

Also, while you’re not obligated to refinance with your current lender, they may be willing to give you a lower rate or closing cost discounts to keep your business — so it’s worth checking with them too.

4. Get your documentation together

To get final approval for your mortgage refinance, you’ll need to provide copies of your financial documentation to your lender. Depending on the lender, you can upload copies or link to your bank and tax accounts.

Here’s a typical list of what you’ll need:

  • Pay stubs for the past 30 days
  • Last two years’ tax returns and W-2s, or 1099s for self-employed persons
  • Recent bank statements, including for checking and savings accounts
  • A list of your debts and liabilities, including child support
  • Proof of an excellent history of repayment on your existing home loan
  • Records showing you have funds to pay out your ex-partner if you don’t have enough equity in the home
  • A recent property appraisal

Note that depending on how long ago you originally purchased the home, you could face more strict — and lengthier approval times — given changes to lending conditions since the start of the pandemic.

5. Remove your ex-partner’s name from the title

When refinancing a house after divorce, you want to make sure that your ex-partner’s name is no longer on the title — by filing a quit claim deed. Although, if you’re refinancing the mortgage into your name, the title company should do this for you.

How can I take possession of an existing mortgage?

If you don’t want to go through the process of refinancing, some lenders will consider allowing you to assume the existing mortgage outright in what is known as a loan assumption. A loan assumption is when you take over the mortgage and its payments and your ex-partner’s name is removed from the mortgage.

Not all lenders offer loan assumption, but if yours does, you may need to prove you can financially cover the monthly mortgage. Keep in mind that loan assumptions aren’t free and can cost $500 or more. Seek the help of a lending professional before deciding on this option.

There’s also the potential option of loan modification to remove your ex-spouse’s name from the mortgage. A loan modification is when a lender changes your loan’s terms to lower your monthly payment.

Typically, this option is only available if you’re experiencing financial hardship, but this may be the case after a divorce. While it may not be granted, it’s worth asking, especially if your finances have taken a hit.

How important is my home’s current value when refinancing?

If your lender estimates your property value at a lower figure than anticipated, they could decline the loan. In that case, you may be prevented from dividing the property successfully.

Unfortunately, there is no way to control how a lender will estimate your property value. Before you submit your refinancing application, ask an experienced mortgage broker if they can obtain different estimates from various lenders. With this information, you can apply with the lender that has the most satisfactory estimation for your property. But be aware that requesting too many credit inquiries could possibly damage your credit score, making it more difficult to qualify for a loan.

How much am I able to borrow?

If your history of repayment has been excellent and you meet your lender’s guidelines, it could be possible to get a loan for 95% of the value of your property. You will have to pay private mortgage insurance (PMI) if you borrow more than 80% of the value of your property.
How to remove someone’s name from a property deed

Can I use child support payments as income to get a home loan?

While some lenders will accept your child support benefit as income when applying for a mortgage, others consider child support payments an unreliable source of income.

Acceptance of child support as income could further depend on:

  • The age of your dependents. Most lenders require proof that you will be receiving child support for at least three years. That means if your children are 15 or older, your child support payments may not be accepted as income.
  • How long you’ve received child support. Lenders will typically request at least six months of child support statements.

You’ll need to speak to your lender or mortgage broker to find out whether your child support payments are acceptable income.

What if I’ve neglected loan repayments?

Amid the lengthy proceedings and emotional chaos that comes with divorce, it’s understandable that you could miss a payment or two on your mortgage. But if you plan to refinance or assume your existing mortgage, it’s a good idea to continue paying your share.

Skimping on payments doesn’t reflect well on your credit history and could make it harder for you to apply for refinancing and complete the settlement. Most mortgage lenders won’t refinance a home loan unless the borrower can show flawless repayments for six consecutive months.

Will I have to pay taxes to transfer ownership?

When transferring ownership of a property, it’s likely that both you and your spouse will pay a transfer tax. The tax you’re charged will depend on your county, but it tends to be 1% of the home’s purchase price. Keep in mind that the county could reassess the value of your property at the time of transfer, resulting in higher property taxes for the spouse taking ownership of the home.

To learn the specific tax you’ll be responsible for, consult your lender or mortgage broker.
How to transfer home ownership after a divorce

Seek the assistance of a professional

As with all real estate decisions, talk to your family law attorney, a tax professional or another expert to determine your specific responsibilities when assuming financial responsibility for your property during or after your divorce.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

9 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    VictorApril 11, 2019

    I got a divorce 8 years ago. My ex kept the house under the condition that she will refinance the property to get my name out the loan and credit agencies, so far she has neglected. I would like to know what type of lawyer can help me.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniApril 13, 2019Staff

      Hi Victor,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      Sorry to hear your trouble.

      Any general practice lawyer may handle your case. In the event that you need a more specific professional they’ll let you know.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    BarbFebruary 18, 2019

    My daughter recently went through a divorce and her ex husband was awarded the house because he owned it before they got married. He was given up to a year to refinance and get her off the mortgage. She is also in the deed. Should she sign the paperwork for removal from deed before she receives the money he owes her for the house.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaFebruary 19, 2019Staff

      Hi Barb,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I’m sorry to hear about your daughter’s divorce. I hope all things will go well for you and her.

      As a comparison website, we are not allowed to provide personalized advice to our users. However, what I can suggest is for your daughter to speak to a legal consultant. It is important to know the implications of signing the paperwork before and after her name is removed from the deed.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


    Avatarfinder Customer Care
    JoshuaAugust 6, 2018Staff

    Hi Martin,

    Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

    You can always remove her name from the property deed provided that you have her consent. If she doesn’t want her name to be removed, that is where the big problem sets in. You may have to take a partition action which can be very complicated, costly, and stressful.

    Please speak to a law expert to obtain a more personalized answer.

    I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

    Have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    ErikaApril 25, 2018

    Hello. I got divorced in 2011. The house stay with my ex husband. The judge give him 3 years to take me out of the title and mortgage and it is past 7 years now. He put a screen pool with money that his parents have given him after they died. He always make late payments to the point that my credit score drop more the 100 points. I don’t know what to do or what kind the lawyer I need. Please help me.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniApril 26, 2018Staff

      Hi Erika,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      I can understand how tough your current situation is. As a friendly reminder, while we do not represent any company we feature on our pages, we can offer you general advice.

      You can check our guide on how to remove someone’s name from a property deed to see the five steps to remove a name from the property deed. I also suggest that you see your divorce lawyer to obtain more knowledge on who and how you can have your name removed from the title deeds.

      When it comes to the mortgage, I suggest that you see the bank/lender regarding this and show some proof that you have been divorced with your ex-husband since 2011. In that case, your name will be cleared and hopefully this could help in amending your credit score.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


    Default Gravatar
    ElenaApril 19, 2018

    If a person name is not on the deed and only the loan, can they take ownership of the property if something happen to the other party? Are, they only still responsible for the loan?

      Default Gravatar
      ArnoldApril 20, 2018

      Hi Elena,

      Thanks for your inquiry

      Joint loan applications mean all borrowers are equally responsible for repaying the loan, and borrowers usually have an ownership interest in assets that are bought with the loan proceeds. If the person’s name is not on the property deed, he/she will still be responsible for repaying the loan the both of you borrowed.

      Hope this information helps


Go to site