Qube Money review
An all-digital cash envelope system that deducts money from categories in real time.
finder.com’s rating: 3.4 / 5.0
★★★★★Qube Money, formerly known as ProActive Budget, partnered with Choice Financial to offer a real-time cash envelope budgeting and banking app. Unlike other budgeting apps, this one has an integrated bank account and default zero security. But you can only sign up for its Basic and Premium accounts right now. You’ll have the option to upgrade your account to the family plan once it’s released.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewQube Money is best for anyone who wants to use the cash envelope budgeting method — without having to use actual cash. I’d recommend it to two groups of people in particular: families whose kids are old enough to need money, but too young to need a checking account, and couples who want to keep their main bank accounts separate, but still manage joint money together.
Of all the digital bank and budgeting combo accounts we’ve seen, this one stands apart from the competition for its use of the envelope system and built-in debit card. The debit card deducts money from each category the second you make a purchase. It also gives you the freedom of using its integrated account or linking your external bank account.
On the downside, you’ll pay if you want to use it with a family member. Paid subscriptions range from $8 to $15 monthly. And while it has some cool budgeting features in the works, upgrading now means you might end up paying for tools you can’t use yet.
How much does Qube Money cost?Qube Money has three different plans for individuals, couples and families. You’re typically charged monthly or annually.
|Family||Families||Everything in Premium, plus:|
How do I open a Qube Money account?
Follow these steps to sign up for Qube Money‘s Basic or Premium accounts:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Qube Money website, click Get started.
- Enter your name and email address and click Continue.
- Put in your phone number and enter the verification code you receive.
- Select your account type and hit Get started.
- Create a password for your account and click Continue.
- Choose a debit card design.
- Fill in your home address and verify your account.
Anyone who meets these requirements can open a Qube Money account:
- US resident
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number
Have the following information on hand when you open your Qube Money account:
- Full name
- Email address
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Login information for your linked bank account
How does Qube Money work?
Start by funding your Qube Money account or linking your external bank account. The Qube Money routing number is 091302966. You can find your account number in your app profile.
Then split your funds into different categories — or Qubes. You can create Qubes for groceries, mortgage, shopping, utilities, travel and more.
Once you’re ready to make a purchase:
- Open the Qube Money app and select the Qube you’re about to use.
- Money from that Qube is then instantly transferred to your Qube card.
- Complete your purchase online or in person as you would with any debit card.
- The money is deducted from your card and the remaining balance is sent back to the Qube Money app.
Is Qube Money safe to use?
Unlike other debit cards, the Qube card has a default balance of $0, which means there’s zero risk or liability if your card is lost or stolen. The only way you can use the card is if you “activate” a Qube in the app first.
What are the benefits of Qube Money?Qube Money is a first-of-its-kind budgeting product that comes with a Qube Visa debit card, FDIC insurance, and these additional perks:
- Banking options. Choose to link your external bank account or use Qube Money‘s integrated account.
- Real-time budgeting. Qube Money‘s most unique feature is that funds are instantly deducted from the app as soon as you swipe the card.
- Custom allocations. Those with irregular income can set up custom allocation plans to have a percentage of each paycheck put into a certain category.
- Added security. Qube card has $0 default balance, so funds are only available when you open the category on your phone. This makes it difficult for someone to use your card without your permission.
- No overdraft fee. Qube Money won’t charge you if you overdraw your account.
Qube Money‘s ATM network and feesQube Money doesn’t have any in-network ATMs and doesn’t charge any ATM fees. Instead, use any ATM that’s convenient for you, and Qube Money will reimburse you up to $10 per month for any ATM fees you might incur.
What to watch out for
Before joining Qube Money, consider these disadvantages:
- Limited features. While you can sign up for a Qube Money Basic or Premium account, some of its premium features are still being rolled out.
- Subscription fees. You’ll pay $8 to $15 a month if you want to use Qube Money with your partner or kids. But individual plans are free and you have the option to shave on a subscription by paying annually.
- Free plan restrictions. The free plan has lower transfer limits and no automatic transfers from an external account, so you have to manually move money into Qube when it’s time to refund your card.
New to budgeting? Get the rundown on how to use a budget in our budgeting guide for beginners.
Compare with other digital banking services
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Details about Qube Money‘s funding options are still being worked out, but here are some of the ways to access funds in your account:
- Direct deposit
- Check deposit via the mobile app
- ACH transfer from another bank
- ATM withdrawals
- ACH transfer to another bank
How do I contact Qube Money customer service?
Qube Money doesn’t have a phone number to call, but you can get in touch with customer service by:
- Visiting its website to start a live chat with a representative.
- Emailing email@example.com.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.