Progressive renters insurance review
Enjoy payment plans and personal belongings protection that suit your life on the go.
- Get a quote if you’re bundling your renters and auto coverage.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a highly-rated insurance company.
- Many renters can apply.
All 50 states
- Belongings covered away from home
- Single deductible for renters and auto
- Flexible payments with four installment options
- Enhanced coverage package
- Low customer and business ratings
- Not available in every state
- Online quote requires Social Security number or birthdate
- Monthly payments require automatic bank withdrawals
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Pay in full|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Progressive renters insurance includes solid coverage with the option to increase limits for certain belongings like your jewelry or computers. We especially like that your belongings stay protected while you’re traveling or keeping items in storage. In addition, Progressive works with your lifestyle by offering four different payment options. The fewer payments you make throughout the year, the more discounted your premium is, too.
However, the company has a poor business rating from the Better Business Bureau, which could cause some concern. Also, you might not enjoy giving out your Social Security number or birthdate to get a quote — or setting up automatic bank withdrawals for monthly payments. Because you can find competitors that don’t include such restrictions, you might look at more renters insurance companies to find the best option.
What renters insurance coverage does Progressive offer?
Choose from Progressive’s ample list of coverage with increased limits if you need it. Coverage includes:
- Personal property. Protects your belongings whether they’re inside your rental, in a moving van or in storage.
- Personal liability. Pays for injuries and legal fees if accidents or damages happen in your living space.
- Loss of use. Helps you pay expenses above what’s normal if you have to relocate because of repairs.
- Medical payments. Pays for medical bills if others are injured at your apartment or home without involving a court case.
- Water backups. Pays for damage or repairs related to overflowing drains or sump pumps.
- Valuable personal property. Adds protection for jewelry worth over $1,000.
- Personal injury. Covers expensive lawsuits related to slander or libel.
- Extra computer coverage. Covers computers, tablets, printers, software or hardware valued above $2,500.
- Enhanced coverage package. Adds personal injury, water backups and bicycle coverage — and includes an additional $5,000 for computers.
What isn’t covered by Progressive renters insurance?
Progressive doesn’t cover damage to your rental’s roof, exterior building or the land. Your landlord will need coverage for these areas instead.
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Progressive brings a mix of savings opportunities to your door, including:
- Secure or gated community. Find savings if your community uses a security guard or requires a resident key or remote to enter.
- Multipolicy. Bundle renters and auto for 5% off your car insurance.
- Single deductible. Get reimbursed for one deductible if both your car and home receive damage in the same incident.
- Advance quote. Start your policy at least three days after you sign up for an easy discount.
- Emailed documents. Get your policy documents emailed to you for more savings.
- Pay in full. Pay your policy upfront to avoid worrying about a higher monthly bill.
- Pay in two or four payments. Land a discount for choosing to pay in fewer payments than monthly.
Pros and cons of Progressive renters insurance
- Belongings coverage away from home. Protect your belongings even if you’re traveling or putting them in storage.
- Single deductible for renters and auto. Enjoy some relief by only having to meet one deductible if damage occurs to both your home and car.
- Flexible payments. Pay your premium up front or in two, four or 11 payments.
- Enhanced coverage package. Progressive lets you add a single package to increase certain coverage limits, add extra liability and get water backup protection.
- Low customer and business ratings. The company has received a C- rating from the Better Business Bureau for not responding to several complaints as of November 2019. It also receives poor customer ratings and only earns 2 out of 5 stars from the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
- Not available in every state. Although Progressive is a national car insurance company, it doesn’t offer renters policies in Alaska or Hawaii.
- Online quote uses sensitive information. You have to provide your Social Security number or birthdate to get an online quote depending on where you live, although it uses a secure URL.
- Monthly payments require automatic bank withdrawals. You can use a check, debit or credit card with other payment plans, but not if you pay in 11 payments.
How to apply for Progressive renters insurance
Buy renters coverage in a few steps either online or by phone:
- Go to Progressive’s website.
- Select Renters.
- Enter your ZIP code and select auto insurance if preferred. Click Get a quote.
- Fill in basic personal information and complete any questions. Click Okay, continue.
- Choose your coverage and limits, then select discounts you qualify for. Click Continue.
- Select your payment plan, review your coverage and include details about other residents. Click Continue to buy.
- Enter your payment information, review your address and sign documents online. Click Buy policy.
Phone. You can call 855-798-5686 with questions at these times: weekdays from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET or weekends from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m ET.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Progressive?
Keep this information at the ready during your application:
- Type of rental
- Marital status
- Type of pets owned
- Social Security number
- Start date
- Coverage needed
- Current policy personal property limits
- Number of previous claims
- Payment information