Progressive home insurance review
Enjoy wide coverage with plenty of perks and low rates
- Get a quote if you’re a Progressive customer who wants to bundle policies to save.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for specialized endorsement options.
- Customers can quickly compare coverages and rates from multiple companies.
All 50 states
- Home insurance for first time home-buyer
- Single deductible option
- Inconsistent claims
- Limited endorsements
- Poor customer service reviews
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Katia Iervasi is a writer from sunny Sydney, Australia. Her writing — and curiosity — has taken her around the world, and she now calls chaotic, creative New York home. With a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance, mortgages and finance for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Progressive’s home insurance coverage is basic at best. But to make up for that, it partners with a network of home insurance companies to offer customers a range of quotes to choose from.
If you decide to go with Progressive, you could get access to attractive discounts and a single deductible, but the endorsements are limited.
To find out what other endorsements might be available to you, take the time to compare home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Progressive offer?
Progressive offers a standard suite of coverages through its own Home Advantage plan. Your policy might cover:
- Dwelling coverage. Pays for the damage to your house and any feature that’s permanently attached to it — such as a garage, roof or deck.
- Other structures coverage. Covers the structures that are unattached to your home, like standalone sheds, fences and driveways.
- Personal liability coverage. Covers the legal fees and damages you have to pay if someone sues you after being injured on your property.
- Medical payments coverage. Pays for the medical bills if someone is hurt at your home.
- Personal possessions coverage. If your belongings are stolen or damaged, this coverage kicks in to pay for the cost of repairing or replacing them.
- Loss of use coverage. When your home is damaged from a covered loss, this pays for your temporary living expenses, such as accommodation and food.
- Water back-up coverage. An optional coverage that protects you from water damage due to backed-up sump pumps and sewer systems.
- Personal injury coverage. This optional add-on covers any legal fees and damages from slander and libel suits, wrongful eviction, false arrest or imprisonment.
What discounts can I get with Progressive?
You may be privy to these discounts:
- Bundling discount. When you bundle your Progressive homeowners and auto coverage, you’ll save 10% on your auto policy. You can also combine other types of property insurance for a further discount.
- Safety devices discount. If your home is fitted with a burglar system, fire alarm or automatic fire sprinklers, you could earn a discount.
- Quote in advance discount. Get a quote at least 10 days before your new policy starts and you might be rewarded with a lower rate.
- New purchase discount. Buying a new home or switching from a renters policy to a homeowners policy? You could qualify for this discount.
- Pay in full discount. Pay your 12-month policy upfront and you’ll score a discount.
- Paperless discount. Some carriers will offer a small discount when you opt into receiving documents by email.
- New home construction discount. You might be eligible for this discount if your home is brand new.
Pros and cons of Progressive home insurance
- Compare quotes side-by-side. Progressive partners with a range of home insurance companies, so you can compare quotes without leaving the site.
- 24/7 customer service. Agents are available over the phone at any time, and on live chat until midnight on weekdays.
- Attractive discounts. Customers who bundle their home and auto coverage through Progressive benefit the most.
- Intuitive quote system. Once you enter your address, Progressive will pre-fill fields based on information from public records. The system also uses photos to help you to identity features, such as your roof type.
- Single deductible. If you bundle your homeowners and auto insurance, and an incident damages both, you’ll only need to pay one deductible. This perk applies if you’ve purchased home insurance through ASI, one of Progressive’s in-network carriers.
- Digital tools. Get a quote, manage your policy or make a payment online.
- Financial strength. Progressive has an A+ (Superior) rating with A.M. Best, which means it has the resources to pay out claims.
- Inconsistent claims. The way claims are handled varies between companies.
- Limited endorsements. Beyond the standard home coverages, Progressive’s policies offer two optional endorsements: water backup and personal injury. Other insurers provide green home coverage and identity theft protection as well.
- Customer service reviews. Progressive has a reputation for poor customer service on platforms like the Better Business Bureau and TrustPilot.
Progressive reviews and complaints
Progressive holds a B- rating with the Better Business Bureau for its failure to respond to a handful of complaints filed against the business. The BBB recorded 2,250 complaints over the past three years, which isn’t unusual for such a large company.
On TrustPilot, customers awarded Progressive 2 out of 5 stars. Many customers complained about price hikes and the lack of urgency around claims, while others praised the company’s line of insurance products.
The reviews on both platforms reflect Progressive as a whole — not just its home insurance department.
How to apply for Progressive home insurance
To get a quote, call 855-423-8307 or jump online to follow these steps:
- Go to the Progressive website. Hover over Insurance > Home & Property > Homeowners.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get a Quote.
- Type in your home address, along with your name, date of birth and when you’d like the policy to take effect. Click Next.
- Answer questions about your home — including its square footage, foundation type and how long you’ve lived there. Click Next.
- Enter your current home insurance provider and claims history. Click Next.
- Progressive will then generate quotes and coverages from multiple companies. If you see one that you like, click Select and the system will pass on your details to the carrier.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Progressive?
Have the following info handy for the application:
- Personal and contact details
- Social Security number
- Claims history
- Current home insurance company
- Who you live with and whether you’re running a business from home
- Details about your home’s construction — including the roof type, available parking and the year it was built. Most of this info will be prefilled based on the address, but you’ll need to confirm all the details.
How do I make a claim with Progressive?
Call 855-347-3749 or log in to your customer account to make a claim. The claims department is available 24/7 and Progressive guarantees you’ll be contacted by a claims adjuster within 48 hours.