Wide-ranging coverage offers personalized options. But you may not be wowed by support.
Progressive extends its auto protection to include end-to-end and personalized commercial support. But its overall insurance ratings hint at a tradeoff for customer experience.
|Description||This big-name lender offers general and specialized coverage for your drivers or fleet. But don’t expect top customer support.|
|States served||All 50 states|
|AM Best financial rating||A+|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Customizable coverage
- Industry-specific options
- Easy online access
- 24/7 assistance
- Average customer satisfaction
- Higher premiums
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
What commercial car insurance coverage does Progressive offer?
Progressive offers customizable business coverage options to cover your employees, your fleet and more.
- Liability.Cover damages to other people or their property while your employees are on the job.
- Collision. Protect your own vehicle from damage in a traffic accident.
- Uninsured motorist. Know you’re covered, no matter how much insurance the person you collide with has.
- Comprehensive. Cover the bases outside of accidents, like fire, theft, vandalism and natural disasters.
- Fire and theft. Don’t need comprehensive? Get fire and theft with limited coverage for specific emergencies.
- Medical expenses. Cover treatment and bills after an accident.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Progressive?
Progressive offers commercial coverage in all 50 states, but options vary by location. Contact your local agent to learn about coverage available in your area.
What features does Progressive offer for businesses?
Progressive prides itself on helping businesses in multiple ways.
- Customized coverage. Personalize the coverage that best suits your business needs.
- Industry-specific options. Look for special insurance for large commercial trucks, tow trucks and trailers.
- 24/7 claims. Submit claims online or from the mobile app any time of day.
- Single deductible endorsement. Normally, you’d have to pay all deductibles you’re responsible for in an accident. Progressive tags this free addition so that you pay only the highest deductible instead, which could save you money up front on your claim.
- Seasonal policies. Flexible coverage allows for adjustments for on and off seasons, helping you to save money when you might need it most.
What discounts does Progressive offer businesses?
You’ll find discounts tailored for specific businesses and drivers, and save by making quarterly, online payments.
- CDL discount. If your truck drivers have held a commercial driver’s license for at least two years, you may see lower premiums.
- Business experience. See savings if you’ve been in business for three years or more.
- Continuous coverage. Maintain your policy for at least a year for a discount.
- Bundled policies. Pull together your personal, homeowners or other insurance with Progressive to shave money off your policy.
- Pay in full. Forgo monthly or quarterly payments to save up to 15%.
- Paperless. Find discount for digital statements or paying by electronic transfer.
- Smart Haul. Eligible truck drivers can help you save 3% or more by logging driving data through Progressive’s device.
What types of commercial vehicles does Progressive cover?
The company offers coverage for vehicles including:
- Tractor trailers
- Tow trucks
- Box trucks
- Dump trucks
How reliable is Progressive?
Progressive is the #1 commercial car insurance used by businesses, according to SNL Financial 2017 data report. The company also keeps a superior (A+) financial rating on AM Best, so Progressive can afford to payout claims.
However, Progressive has a mid-range rating of 3 out of 5 on Consumer Affairs, based on over 1,100 ratings. Complains mainly revolved around frustration with speaking with customer service. Many customers struggled to get a response via email and phone. Others complained of slow claims and payouts. It maintains a similar rating in J.D. Power’s 2018 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. The company is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, but not every insurer feels the need to pay to get accreditation status.
Pros and cons of Progressive commercial car insurance
- Customizable coverage. Choose widespread coverage like comprehensive and general liability, or opt for specialized or limited coverage plans.
- Industry-specific options. Get the coverage you need for your commercial trucks, tow trucks and trailers.
- Easy online access. Report or track a claim from its website, and pay your bill online.
- 24/7 assistance. Contact customer service for changes in your policy anytime.
- Average customer satisfaction. Trusted consumer sites like J.D. Power rank the company average on customer satisfaction.
- Higher premiums. The average premium for commercial insurance is around $165 per month for each vehicle — that’s higher than the national average of $100 monthly.
How to contact Progressive
You can reach Progressive any time of the day or night. Use one of these customer service options:
- Phone. Call 888-806-9598 to speak with a representative 24/7.
- Online. Get a quote, report or track claims and pay bills on Progressive’s website. You might need to call an agent to get a commercial auto quote.
- Email. Fill out a request form on the company’s Contact Us page. They claim to respond in one business day.
- Mobile app. View and pay bills on your phone, report claims, get roadside assistance or contact an agent with the mobile app.
Alternatives to Progressive commercial car insurance
Progressive has a wide lineup of commercial car insurance coverage and could fit your needs. Its custom plans may help save money by giving you the right coverage at the right times.
However, you might want to compare other options for commercial car insurance if you’re looking for the lowest price or stellar customer service.