Progressive car insurance review Nov 2020
Customize your policy, use online tools to compare coverage and look out for loads of discounts.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
Bottom line: Though Progressive’s customer service is only average, you’ll find wide coverage options for new cars, pets, ridesharing and more, plus some of the cheapest rates with big discounts.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Some customer complaints
- Six-month policies standard
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Progressive offers many discounts that are easy to earn, including the Snapshot telematics program for safe, low mileage drivers. Progressive’s rates are often some of the lowest you can find, and coverage is broader than many competitors. Its website is easy to navigate, providing access to coverage information and transparent pricing. However, customer support is just average compared to similar companies.
Progressive car insurance rates
According to the company’s 2018 survey, the average driver saves $668 when switching to Progressive. An independent analysis found that drivers can save $648 a year, while one reviewer claimed to save $480 a year by enrolling in Progressive’s Snapshot program.
|18 year old male||$136||$442||$309|
|18 year old female||$152||$413||$273|
|25 year old male||$81||$52||$86|
|25 year old female||$80||$70||$79|
|35 year old male||$49||$63||$79|
|35 year old female||$54||$84||$58|
|45 year old male||$47||$191||$52|
|45 year old female||$53||$74||$60|
|56 year old male||$59||$89||$47|
|56 year old female||$66||$97||$48|
How do I find a Progressive agent near me?
You can locate one of Progressive’s 38,000 agents on its website, then call or visit the agency to get started with a quote. To use the agent locator:
- Tap the link to Find an agent near you from the main website.
- Enter your ZIP code and choose the insurance product you’re looking for. Click Find an agent.
- Choose an agent located near you on the map. Or view the list of agents by scrolling down the left sidebar.
- Click on your preferred agency’s name for more details.
- Write down the address for an in-person visit or call the number provided.
How does Progressive compare to other companies?
Progressive vs Geico
Both insurers are known for low rates and coverage for almost any driver. As some of the biggest national providers, you’ll find a long list of discounts and coverage from both. Geico typically offers lower rates and offers a few nice perks for military members, while Progressive’s free pet coverage is great for pet owners and may have better deals for bundling.
Progressive vs Geico
Progressive vs State Farm
Two of the most popular car insurance companies, both Progressive and State Farm offer similar coverage options and benefits. State Farm offers slightly better financial stability and a larger network of agents. However, State Farm isn’t known for rates as low as Progressive, and your agent experience may vary.
Progressive vs State Farm
Progressive vs Allstate
Where Progressive is more accepting of drivers with spotty driving records or SR-22s, Allstate doesn’t typically cover high-risk drivers. However, if you have a luxury car or a newer car, Allstate’s new car discount and new car replacement perks might be worth higher rates. Plus Allstate has slightly higher customer satisfaction ratings.
Progressive vs Allstate
What discounts can I get from Progressive?
Progressive also offers a long list of car insurance discounts you can stack to save 30% or more on your car insurance. Progressive has one of the longest lists of discounts. Its continuous insurance discount and safe driver discounts are particularly high at around 30%. However, Progressive doesn’t advertise a military discount or low mileage discount apart from its Snapshot telematics program.
- Advance quote. The farther out you get your quote from renewal, the greater the discount — with 30 days giving up to 15%.
- Automatic bill pay. Sign up for automatic monthly payments by credit or debit card, or EFT.
- Away at school. Get a discount if a student on your policy lives at school over 100 miles from home.
- Bundling. Bundle auto and home insurance to save an average of 15%, or bundle car plus RV or boat insurance for 5% off.
Continuous insurance. Save based on how long you consistently maintained active car insurance with any insurer.
- Education. If you have a college degree, you might be able to receive a small discount.
Good student. Get better rates if a student on your policy maintains a B average or better.
- Homeowner. Save money on auto insurance if you own a home or condo, even if it’s not insured with Progressive.
- Multiple cars. You can save an average of 12% when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
Online quote. Save an average of 4% when you apply for a quote online.
- Online application. Save an average of 8.5% when you sign your policy application online.
- Paperless. Save on paper and your premiums by getting your documents electronically.
Paid in full. Pay for your six-month policy in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safe car. Save extra if your car comes with safety features like blind spot warning or automatic braking.
- Safe driver. Save an average of 31% if you have a clean driving record with no tickets or accidents in the past three years.
Teen driver. Get a discount when you add a driver under the age of 18 to your policy.
- Telematics. Snapshot is Progressive’s pay-as-you-drive car insurance program that lets you save for your safe driving.
How does Progressive’s Snapshot telematics program work?
Snapshot is Progressive’s innovative pay-as-you-drive car insurance program, which nets you savings for being a safe driver. You can choose to either use the app or a black box device that plugs directly into your car. The app or device tracks your driving behavior, including how fast you go, how smoothly you brake and how many miles you drive.
Average annual savings for most drivers is $145, according to Progressive. However, most other telematics-focused companies promise to save you upwards of $500 or more.
What car insurance can I get with Progressive?
Progressive offers customizable coverage packages that allow you to buy only what you need. You can get full coverage and liability plus some rarer perks like rideshare, custom equipment and pet coverage.
- Collision. When you’re found at fault for an accident, collision pays for your car’s repairs.
- Comprehensive. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than a car crash, like fire or vandalism.
- Custom equipment. Pays to repair or replace custom car equipment, including paint, stereos, TVs, grills, and spoilers.
- Liability. Covers damage to the other driver if you cause an accident.
- Medical payments. Helps cover you and your passengers’ medical bills after a car accident.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for healthcare and related costs after an accident, such as income loss or ambulance rides.
- Gap coverage. Pays for up to 25% over the actual cash value toward what you still owe on your car if it’s declared a total loss.
- Pet injuries. Helps pay for vet bills if your dog or cat is hurt in a car accident. This rare perk is included free with your collision coverage.
- Rental car reimbursement. Pays for up to 30 days of a rental car while yours is repaired due to an accident.
- Rideshare. Progressive can cover you even if you drive for Uber or Lyft.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing, roadside help, fuel delivery, lost keys or breakdowns.
- SR-22. Progressive offers SR-22 coverage for drivers who need help filing this form.
- Underinsured motorist. Protects you if you’re in an accident caused by another driver without enough insurance.
What other perks can I get?
- Accident forgiveness means your premium won’t go up for your first small claim less than $500 or large claims after being three years accident-free.
- No claims bonus drops your deductible by $50 for every six months without claims.
- Guaranteed lifetime repairs for using any repair shop in the Progressive network.
How does Progressive bundling work?
Progressive will insure almost anything on wheels and more, giving you the convenience of insuring many more areas of your life than other companies. Once your policy is active, you can manage those policies through one online account.
As an example of potential savings, new home and auto customers save an average $1,000 on both policies, according to the website. You can bundle any two policies to receive a multipolicy discount.
Common products to bundle:
- Classic cars
- Personal watercrafts
- Golf carts
- Identity theft
- Health, dental or vision
- Weddings or events
Progressive car insurance reviews and complaints
According to the BBB website, Progressive holds a A+ rating but also has a massive list of customer complaints. Billing issues and denied claims are just a couple of the over 2,749 negative customer reviews as of October 2020.
For the past few years, J.D. Power has ranked Progressive to be “about average” across the board, with a three-star rating in overall customer satisfaction. It’s not great, but it still comes out ahead of a few other big names like Allstate and Liberty Mutual.
Progressive customer reviews
Progressive review: Ryan’s experience
Banking and Investment Publisher
Progressive has insured my vehicles for more than a decade. And even though I’ve received quotes from other companies every few years, it’s always the most affordable option. Progressive’s flexibility and discounts were key to getting me as a customer in the first place, and they’ve only improved since. I was able to bundle my home and auto insurance even though my home is covered by another insurer. And a few years into my policy, I knocked off a chunk of my premium through Progressive’s Snapshot analysis of my driving habits.
Fortunately, the only claim I’ve had to make was a windshield replacement with a $0 deductible. And now my loyalty benefits offer both small and large accident forgiveness. I’ve also used roadside assistance on occasion.
Progressive Snapshot review: Dawn’s experience
Staff Associate Editor
The first time I used Snapshot, I was driving long distances several times a week, and hard brakes on 55 mph roads in deer territory are sometimes unavoidable. At the end of 6 months, my rates went up and I switched to another insurer.
But when I got a new car and moved to the city, Progressive offered the cheapest rates by far, so I switched back. The participation discount for using the Snapshot device once again lured me in. This time around I was driving a lot less often, and I was more mindful of the device. At the end of another 6-month period, I got an email from Progressive that I would save $133 when I renewed.
Unfortunately, that was a little misleading, because I was also losing the Snapshot participation discount now that I had to send the device back. My policy actually cost $18 less this term — but that’s still a lot less than it would’ve cost if I’d never signed up for Snapshot.
Progressive review: Julia’s experience
Unlike some reviewers, my experience with Progressive’s customer service has been great. Speaking with a representative on the phone not too long ago saved me a ton of money. She helped me bundle all of our policies together when we purchased a new car. We already had two cars insured with Progressive and needed to insure a third.
Which leads me to a tip about bundling: Just because you have multiple cars insured with Progressive doesn’t mean your policies are bundled. I didn’t realize we had two separate policies for each of our cars. When I called to get insurance on the third one, the representative brought this to my attention. When all was said and done, I ended up with a lower monthly premium on all three cars than I had with just the two cars on separate policies.
Compare Progressive to alternatives
Frequently asked questions about Progressive
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.