Progressive car insurance review Jul 2020
Customize your policy, use online tools to compare coverages and look out for loads of discounts.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you like discounts and online claims.
- Pick something else if you want the best customer support.
- Frugal drivers can bundle their insurance policies for big savings.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Some customer complaints
- Six-month policies standard
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on car, life, home and other insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a Bachelor of Arts in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade on topics ranging from technology and pets to finance and insurance.
Progressive is a strong company for customers looking to save money on their premiums. Though its customer service is only average, Progressive offers many discounts that are easy to earn, especially if you’re comfortable conducting business online.
Though Progressive was initially designed for high-risk drivers, it now offers policies suitable for almost everyone. Its rates are competitive and coverage is broader than many competitors. Its website is easy to navigate, providing access to coverage information and transparent pricing. Many people choose Progressive for its low rates and selection of policy options.
What's in this guide?
- Progressive car insurance rates
- WATCH: exclusive Progressive 60-second take
- What coverage can I get with Progressive?
- What discounts can I get from Progressive?
- How does Progressive bundling work?
- Pros and cons of Progressive
- Progressive reviews and complaints
- How do I apply for Progressive car insurance?
- How do I contact Progressive?
- How does Progressive compare to other companies?
- Frequently asked questions about Progressive
Progressive car insurance rates
According to the company’s 2018 survey, the average driver saves $668 when switching to Progressive. An independent analysis found that drivers can save $648 a year, while one reviewer claimed to save $480 a year by enrolling in Progressive’s Snapshot program.
You can also try naming your own price. Enter your location to find your state’s minimum coverage levels, then fill in the price you’re comfortable paying. Progressive’s tool will display the levels of coverage and deductibles available on your budget, which you can adjust as needed.
Sample monthly rates for Progressive auto insurance policies
|18 year old male||$136||$442||$309|
|18 year old female||$152||$413||$273|
|25 year old male||$81||$52||$86|
|25 year old female||$80||$70||$79|
|35 year old male||$49||$63||$79|
|35 year old female||$54||$84||$58|
|45 year old male||$47||$191||$52|
|45 year old female||$53||$74||$60|
|56 year old male||$59||$89||$47|
|56 year old female||$66||$97||$48|
WATCH: exclusive Progressive 60-second take
What coverage can I get with Progressive?
Progressive offers customizable packages that allow you to buy only what you need. You can get standard coverage types like collision and comprehensive plus some nice perks like rideshare, custom equipment and pet coverage.
- Liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Collision and comprehensive. When you’re found at fault for an accident, collision pays for your car’s repairs. Comprehensive pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than a collision — like fire or vandalism.
- Medical payments. Protects you and your passengers against post-accident medical care.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for healthcare and related costs after an accident, such as income loss or ambulance rides.
- Underinsured motorist. Protects you if you’re in an accident caused by another driver with no or limited insurance.
- Custom parts and equipment replacement. Progressive will pay for the repair or replacement of custom car equipment, including paint, stereos, TVs, grills, spoilers and more.
- Gap coverage. Pays for up to 25% over the actual cash value toward what you still owe on your car if it’s declared a total loss.
- Pet injuries. Helps pay for vet bills if your cat or dog is hurt in a car accident. This rare perk is part of your collision coverage with no extra charge.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for up to 30 days of a rental car while yours is repaired due to an accident.
- Rideshare. Progressive can cover you even if you drive for Uber or Lyft.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside help if your car breaks down for almost any reason, including fuel delivery, lost key, breakdown or getting stuck.
- SR-22. Progressive also offers SR-22 coverage for drivers who need it.
What other perks can I get?
- Accident forgiveness for small claims less than $500 or any claims after being three years accident-free.
- Deductible reduction drops your deductible by $50 for every six months without claims.
- Guaranteed lifetime repairs for using any repair shop in the Progressive network.
What discounts can I get from Progressive?
Aside from its unique Name Your Price tool and Snapshot telematics discount, Progressive also offers a long list of car insurance discounts you can stack to save 30% or more on your car insurance.
- Away at school. Get a discount if a student on your policy lives at school over 100 miles from home.
- Good student. Get better rates if a student on your policy maintains a “B” average or better.
- Homeowner. Save money on auto insurance if you own a home or condo, even if it’s not insured with Progressive.
- Loyalty. Save based on how long you consistently maintained active car insurance with no gaps or cancellations, even if you were insured under someone else’s policy.
- Multipolicy. Save 5% or more when you bundle auto insurance with another policy, such as home, RV or boat insurance.
- Multivehicle. Save an average of 12% when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Online savings. Save an average of 4% when you apply for a quote online. Get even more savings — an average of 8.5% — when you sign your policy documents online. And save even more if you go paperless for all your documents.
- Payments. Sign up for automatic monthly payments or pay your policy in a single, lump-sum payment to save.
- Safe driver. Save an average of 31% if you have a clean driving record with no violations within the past three years.
- Teen driver. Get a discount when you add a driver under the age of 18 to your policy.
- Telematics. Good drivers could save around 10% by tracking your driving with an app or device.
How does the Snapshot telematics program work?
Snapshot is Progressive’s innovative pay-as-you-drive car insurance program, allowing drivers to save by sharing their driving habits with Progressive. Average annual savings for most drivers is $145, according to Progressive. However, most other telematics-focused companies promise to save you upwards of $500 or more.
You can choose to either use the app or a black box device that plugs directly into your car. The app or device tracks your driving behavior, including how fast you go, how smoothly you brake and how many miles you drive.
How does Progressive bundling work?
Progressive will insure almost anything on wheels and more, giving you the convenience of insuring many more areas of your life than other companies. Once your policy is active, you can manage those policies through one online account.
As an example of potential savings, new home and auto customers save an average $1,000 on both policies, according to the website. You can bundle any two policies to receive a multipolicy discount.
Common products to bundle:
Get bundling discounts for other policies too, like:
- Classic cars
- Identity theft
- Health, dental or vision
- Personal watercrafts
- Golf carts
- Weddings or events
More Progressive insurance guides
Pros and cons of Progressive
- Top-rated insurer. With more than 80 years of experience, Progressive is a one of the most popular big names in the industry.
- Online sign-up and claim reporting. Complete and e-sign necessary forms to sign up or make a claim online or on the app.
- Multiple discounts available. Progressive has one of the largest lists of discounts available. And the best part? There’s no limit to how many discounts you can get.
- Transparent quotes. From transparent pricing to a suite of comparison and quote tools, Progressive offers a number of ways to help customers get the best rates. Its unique comparison tool even lets you compare rates from its competitors.
- Some customer complaints. According to online forums and message boards, this provider has slightly more customer complaints than the industry average. Progressive has a B- rating and over 2,000 complaints on BBB, though all but 4 complaints have been answered or resolved.
- Six-month policies only. While this isn’t necessarily a problem, many drivers prefer having their rate locked in for a 12-month policy as opposed to Progressive’s standard 6-month terms.
Progressive reviews and complaints
According to the BBB website, Progressive holds a B- rating but also has a massive list of customer complaints. Billing issues and denied claims are just a couple of the over 2,400 negative customer reviews as of February 2020.
For the past few years, J.D. Power has ranked Progressive to be “about average” across the board, with a three-star rating in overall customer satisfaction. It’s not great, but it still comes out ahead of a few other big names like Allstate and Liberty Mutual.
Despite its average customer service ratings, other comparison sites like NerdWallet and WalletHub consider Progressive a top pick based on its pricing, claims process, website ease of use and financial strength, and others like ValuePenguin mention Progressive’s willingness to offer good rates and coverage for high-risk drivers.
Case study: Julia’s experience
Unlike some reviewers, my experience with Progressive’s customer service has been great. Speaking with a representative on the phone not too long ago saved me a ton of money. She helped me bundle all of our policies together when we purchased a new car. We already had two cars insured with Progressive and needed to insure a third.
Which leads me to a tip about bundling: Just because you have multiple cars insured with Progressive doesn’t mean your policies are bundled. I didn’t realize we had two separate policies for each of our cars. When I called to get insurance on the third one, the representative brought this to my attention. When all was said and done, I ended up with a lower monthly premium on all three cars than I had with just the two cars on separate policies.
Case study: Dawn’s experience with Progressive Snapshot
Staff Associate Editor
The first time I used Snapshot, I was driving long distances several times a week, and hard brakes on 55 mph roads in deer territory are sometimes unavoidable. At the end of 6 months, my rates went up and I switched to another insurer.
But when I got a new car and moved to the city, Progressive offered the cheapest rates by far, so I switched back. The participation discount for using the Snapshot device once again lured me in. This time around I was driving a lot less often, and I was more mindful of the device. At the end of another 6-month period, I got an email from Progressive that I would save $133 when I renewed.
Unfortunately, that was a little misleading, because I was also losing the Snapshot participation discount now that I had to send the device back. My policy actually cost $18 less this term — but that’s still a lot less than it would’ve cost if I’d never signed up for Snapshot.
Case study: Ryan’s experience
Banking and Investment Publisher
Progressive has insured my vehicles for more than a decade. And even though I’ve received quotes from other companies every few years, it’s always the most affordable option. Progressive’s flexibility and discounts were key to getting me as a customer in the first place, and they’ve only improved since. I was able to bundle my home and auto insurance even though my home is covered by another insurer. And a few years into my policy, I knocked off a chunk of my premium through Progressive’s Snapshot analysis of my driving habits.
Fortunately, the only claim I’ve had to make was a windshield replacement with a $0 deductible. And now my loyalty benefits offer both small and large accident forgiveness. I’ve also used roadside assistance on occasion.
How do I apply for Progressive car insurance?
You can apply online, by phone or by finding an agent near you. The quickest and easiest way to apply is online.
- Visit the Progressive website.
- Enter your ZIP code to get started.
- Next, enter your personal info.
- Add your vehicle information, your driver information and any other drivers you wish to insure on your policy.
- Decide whether you’d like to add Snapshot to your policy or try the Name Your Price or Coverage Checker tool, then review and select your policy options.
- Review final details and enter your payment information if you’re satisfied.
- Sign your documents online and pay for your policy, and just like that, you’re covered.
How do I find a Progressive agent near me?
You can locate one of Progressive’s 38,000 agents on its website, then call or visit the agency to get started with a quote. To find an agent:
- Tap the link to Find an agent near you from the main website.
- Enter your ZIP code and choose the insurance product you’re looking for. Click Find an agent.
- Choose an agent located near you on the map. Or view the list of agents by scrolling down the left sidebar.
- Click on your preferred agency’s name for more details.
- Write down the address for an in-person visit or call the number provided.
How do I contact Progressive?
Visit the official Progressive website and navigate to the contact page for more details on how to contact this provider by:
- Phone. To speak with an agent dial 800-776-4737, for customer service call 888-671-4405 and for general fax dial 877-280-5587.
- Email. Visit Progressive’s contact page to send an email through its contact form.
- Social media. Find @Progressive on Facebook and Twitter.
- Live chat. Log in to your account on Progressive’s website to use live chat from 5 a.m. to midnight ET on weekdays.
- Mail. Send mail to The Progressive Corporation, 6300 Wilson Mills Rd, Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143
How does Progressive compare to other companies?
Progressive vs Geico
Both insurers are known for low rates and coverage for almost any driver. As some of the biggest national providers, you’ll find a long list of discounts and coverage from both. Geico typically offers lower rates and offers a few nice perks for military members, while Progressive’s free pet coverage is great for pet owners and may have better deals for bundling.
Progressive vs Geico
Progressive vs State Farm
Two of the most popular car insurance companies, both Progressive and State Farm offer similar coverage options and benefits. State Farm offers slightly better financial stability and a larger network of agents. However, State Farm isn’t known for rates as low as Progressive, and your agent experience may vary.
Progressive vs State Farm
Progressive vs Allstate
Where Progressive is more accepting of drivers with spotty driving records or SR-22s, Allstate doesn’t typically cover high-risk drivers. However, if you have a luxury car or a newer car, Allstate’s new car discount and new car replacement perks might be worth higher rates. Plus Allstate has slightly higher customer satisfaction ratings.
Progressive vs Allstate
Compare Progressive to alternatives
Frequently asked questions about Progressive
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.