Customizable packages, comprehensive tools and multiple opportunities for discounts make for a top-rated provider.
Car insurance is a tricky thing — you need it, but you hope you never have to use it. Progressive is one of the few big-name insurers out there that we all know. Best known for its fun commercials and eccentric spokesperson, Flo, this provider offers a number of coverage options directly to millions of customers across the country.
Progressive covers anything on wheels! Progressive offers coverage for cars, trucks, motorcycles and snowmobiles. Even Segways are covered.
All 50 states
12 months, 6 months
|New car protection
Yes, cars under 3 year old & 15,000 miles
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience
- Easy online sign-up and reporting
- Multiple discounts available
- Limited business coverage for business vehicles
|Defensive driving discount
|Good student discount
|Safety device discount
|Special employment discount
Sign documents online, Start your quote online - up to 7% discount, Minor child driver – Varies (newly licensed child, 18 and under)
Headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio, Progressive was established in 1937 as a general auto insurance provider. By 1956, it had carved out a niche selling coverage to higher risk drivers but has since expanded to offer a wide variety of coverage options. With services available in all 50 states and Australia, it’s no surprise that it holds over $20 billion in written premiums.
Progressive is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the country and it prides itself on being ahead of its competition. In its early days, Progressive was the first company to offer a drive-in claims office. Following that, it introduced tiered rates for low-risk drivers and was the first provider to have an online comparison shopping tool. Today, it’s known for its popular “Name Your Price” program that claims to help you set the price you’ll pay each month based on your budget.
Find the cheapest rates
Compare the best car insurance companies near you.
Your information is secure.
Progressive is best known for its catchy commercials and “Name your price” tool. Besides that, its vibrant website is easy to navigate, offering easy access to coverage information and totally transparent pricing. The company also offers a complete “concierge” service that handles your claims from start to finish. Progressive will even pick you up from the side of the road if you need it.
Kind of. After entering your location to find your state’s minimum coverage levels, you then enter the price you’re comfortable paying. Progressive’s tool displays the levels of coverage and deductibles available on your budget.
Raising your monthly payment typically means a lower deductible when the time comes for repairs. However, what you save on a month to month basis may come back to haunt you come deductible time.
Car insurance rates are based on so many variables that it’s impossible to see if you’re getting a good deal until you’ve compared prices with other companies.
Though Progressive was initially designed for high-risk drivers, it now offers policies suitable for almost everyone. Its rates are competitive, coverage is comprehensive, and its website makes getting coverage easy. Many people choose Progressive for its low rates and selection of policy options.
Progressive offers customizable packages that allow you to buy only what you need.
- Bodily insurance and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured bodily injury. Protects you if you’re in an accident caused by another driver with no or limited insurance.
- Medical payments. Protects you against post-accident medical care.
- Collision. Pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident.
- Comprehensive. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Uninsured motorist property damage. Pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside help if your car breaks down for most any reason.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for up to 30 days of a rental car while yours is repaired due to an accident.
- Loan or lease payoff. Also called gap insurance, pays for up to 25% over the actual cash value toward what you still owe on your car if it’s ever declared a total loss.
- Pet injuries. Helps pay for vet bills if your cat or dog is hurt in a car accident.
- Custom parts and equipment replacement. Progressive will pay for the repair or replacement of custom paint, stereos and TVs, phones, grills and spoilers and more.
- SR-22. Progressive also offers SR-22 coverage for those who have been mandated by their state.
Besides its unique “Name your price” program and Snapshot tool, Progressive offers an assortment of discounts that allow it to undercut its competition:
- Multi-policy. Save 5% or more when you bundle your auto insurance policy with another one of Progressive’s coverage options.
- Snapshot. Save money by using the Snapshot program to share your driving habits with Progressive.
- Online quote. Save an average of 7% when you apply for a quote online.
- Safe driver. Save an average of 31% if you have a clean driving record with no violations within the past three years.
- Multi-vehicle. Save an average of 10% when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Homeowner. Save money on auto insurance if you own a home or condo, even if it’s not insured with Progressive.
- Continuous insurance. Save money based on how long you have consistently maintained active car insurance with no gaps or cancellations, even if you were insured by someone else
- E-sign. Save an average of 7% when you sign your policy documents online.
- Automatic bill pay. Save money when you sign up for automatic monthly payments.
- Paid in full. Save money when you pay for your policy in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Good student. Get better rates if a student on your policy maintains a “B” average or better.
- Away at school. Get a discount if a student on your policy lives at school over 100 miles from home.
- Teen driver. Get a discount when you add a driver under the age of 18 to your policy.
- Name Your Price. Use Progressive’s popular tool to find a policy that suits your budget.
- Snapshot. Snapshot is Progressive’s innovative pay-as-you-drive car insurance program, allowing drivers to save by sharing their driving habits with Progressive.
- Mobile app. Progressive offers a great mobile app that allows you to manage your policy, view ID cards, file claims, and more.
- Progressive service centers. Progressive has a network of service centers that offer a concierge service. Simply bring your vehicle into one of the 60 locations and Progressive will handle your claim and set you up with a rental vehicle while your vehicle is repaired. As an added bonus, repairs at these locations are guaranteed for life.
- PerkShare. PerkShare is coupon book that allows Progressive customers to get discounts from an extensive network of affiliates.
- Flo Chatbot. Flo, Progressive’s famous spokesperson, was recently given a chatbot. Using Facebook messenger, you can speak with Flo to get answers about Progressive auto insurance or even start a quote.
- Accident forgiveness. Progressive offers an accident forgiveness program that prohibits your rates from increasing after your first at-fault accident.
- Loyalty Rewards Program. All customers are automatically enrolled in this program, which provides discounts and rewards based on a number of factors.
- Comparison tool. Progressive offers a tool that encourages customers to compare rates with other providers before deciding on an auto insurance policy.
- Coverage Checker. Available before you purchase coverage, this tool analyzes your quote to highlight areas where you might have too little or too much coverage.
Find the cheapest rates
Compare the best car insurance companies near you.
Your information is secure.
- Top-rated insurer. Nearing 80 years of experience, Progressive is a big name in the industry.
- Easy online sign-up and claim reporting. Complete and e-sign necessary forms to register or report an accident online.
- Multiple discounts available. You can shave money off your coverage by starting your quote online, bundling your coverage, maintaining a safe driving record, signing your documents online, paying in full and more. And the best part? There’s no limit to how many discounts you can get on your policy.
- Transparency. From transparent pricing to a suite of comparison and quote tools, Progressive offers a number of ways to help customers get the best rates.
- Limited business coverage. If you’re looking to insure your fleet of business vehicles, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Customer complaints. According to various forums and message boards, this provider has slightly more customer complaints than the industry average.
- Six-month policies. While this isn’t necessarily a problem, many drivers prefer 12-month policies as opposed to Progressive’s standard 6-month terms.
According to the BBB website, Progressive is not officially accredited, despite being one of the larger insurers in the country. It holds a “B-” rating and a composite score of 2.63 of a possible 5 stars, both of which may explain the massive list of customer complaints. Billing issues and denied claims are just a couple of the nearly 2,000 negative customer reviews.
In 2016, J.D. Power found Progressive to be “about average” across the board. They received their lowest marks in the Southwest region.
But before you rule out Progressive for poor customer service remarks, remember that customer ratings and reviews don’t always tell the whole story. They can give insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but many customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they had an exceptionally bad experience.
Progressive is a leader in online auto insurance, as it was the first provider to allow customers to purchase coverage online. Its bright website empowers customers to learn more about auto insurance before comparing providers and purchasing coverage. Here’s how you can get started:
- After you’ve compared your options, visit the Progressive website and select “Auto”.
- Enter your zip code, then click “Quote auto”.
- Enter your name, address, and date of birth, then click “Okay, start my quote”.
- Add your vehicle information or enter your VIN, then save & continue.
- Enter your driver information including marital status, employment information, driving history, social security number (optional), then save & continue.
- Add any other drivers you wish to insure on your policy, then save & continue.
- Enter your current or most recent insurance information and contact info, then save & continue.
- Decide whether or not you’d like to add Snapshot to your policy, then save & continue.
- Review policy options or try the Name Your Price or Coverage Checker tool, then click “Finish & buy”
- Enter your contact info, drivers license, VIN, policy start date, and other details, then save & continue.
- Review final details and enter your payment information if you’re satisfied. Sign your documents online, pay for your policy, and just like that, you’re covered.
If you’d rather get coverage by phone, you can speak with an agent by calling 1-877-776-4266.
If online and phone applications aren’t your thing, feel free to apply with an agent. You can locate an agent on Progressive’s website, then call them or visit to get started.
Filing an auto insurance claim with Progressive is easy. You can file by phone, online, or even in person at one of the 60 Progressive service centers.
- Visit the Progressive website, click on the “Claims” tab, then “Claims overview”.
- Scroll down, then click “Report a claim”
- Log into your account, then fill out each of the required fields. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Incident details (What happened, date, location, etc.)
- Vehicle information for all parties
- Driver information for all parties
- Insurance information for all parties (Policy number, insurer, etc.)
- Contact information for all parties
4. Once your claim is filed, an agent will reach out within two business days. You can track progress by logging into your account.
You can also report a claim by phone. Simply call 1-800-776-4737. The agent will ask you some initial questions and begin resolving your claim immediately.
Living up to its commitment to innovation, Progressive allows you to file a claim at one of its 60 service centers. Locate your nearest service center, then bring your vehicle in. An agent will handle the entire claims process and give you an estimate, all before setting you up with a rental car.
Similar to everything else that Progressive does, getting in touch with a representative is easy. Visit the official Progressive website and navigate to the contact page for more details on how to contact this provider by:
- Social media
- Live chat
Absolutely! Progressive will insure almost anything on wheels, along with a number of other options. This provider offers coverage for:
Progressive is a great company for customers looking to save money each month on their premiums. They offer many discounts that are easy to earn, especially if you’re comfortable conducting business online. If you prefer to manage your policy online and like to save money, Progressive might be the right choice for you. Progressive’s impressive arsenal of comparison tools and policy options are just two of many reasons why it’s one of the top providers in the country.
However, its lower prices could come with a cost: customer service. By looking into other providers, you may be able to get a comparable amount of coverage at a similar price point without sacrificing service. Compare your options to find a car insurance provider that meets your needs.