Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
One is a catch-all for most major brands while the other specializes in high-end luxury goods.
Get the best bang for your buck by choosing your selling app wisely. While Tradesy focuses on designer items, Poshmark has a wider range of brands and items for resale.
We list the specifics of each app’s selling process, such as user interface, photo and messaging options and more, so you can decide which is the best fit for your items.
Selling on Poshmark
Poshmark offers merchandise from most major brands, both high-end and budget-friendly. It offers a neat feature to advertise your items: Posh Stories, 15-second photos or videos featuring your item that are live for 48 hours on the site. If you’re selling an unused item you bought wholesale, Poshmark also has a Boutique designation for items sold to the public for the first time.
Follow these steps to sell on Poshmark:
- Begin by creating an account with an email, Google or Facebook account.
- Click Sell and then upload or take pictures of your items and crop to the required square format. You can then edit the images as you would in an Instagram post.
- Provide your item details like category, size, original price and listing price.
- Upload your listing.
Your item will either be purchased at full price or a buyer will submit an offer. Once the buyer receives your item, the sale funds are automatically added to your Poshmark account — minus Poshmark’s fees.
Redeem the funds through direct deposit or request a check. Direct deposit typically takes two to three days and check requests can take up to two weeks to be fulfilled.
- Sell a wide variety of items from any brand.
- View your listing photos before publishing.
- Posh Stories help advertise your items.
- Immediately access funds once your buyer receives and accepts the sale.
- Boutique Tag Option signifies when an item is purchased wholesale or directly from a distributor.
- Listing images must be cropped square.
- Some online reviewers say the app interface isn’t user-friendly.
- Listing prices do not include buyer’s shipping fees.
- Must communicate with buyers via the comments section on a listing.
- Additional shipping costs apply to items weighing over 5 lbs.
Which brands and items sell best on Poshmark?
According to Poshmark’s January 2020 trend report, bestselling brands and items include:
- Louis Vuitton bags
- Adidas sneakers
- Madewell Jeans
- Jordan sneakers
- Ray-Ban sunglasses
- Starbucks tumblers
- Anthropologie bedding
- Pottery Barn decor.
Based on this report, it’s safe to assume items from popular, sought-after brands are likely to sell fast.
Poshmark takes a flat commission of $2.95 for sales under $15, and 20% on sales over $15.
Buyers are charged a $7.11 flat shipping rate at checkout. Once an item has been purchased, ship the item within two to three days.
You’ll receive a prepaid USPS priority shipping label for up to 5 lbs. This label covers your package if it gets lost in the mail, and tracking information is sent to both buyer and seller.
You’ll need to provide the packaging for your item. It’s helpful to save packaging bags and boxes from online orders to reuse for this purpose. Drop off your package at a USPS location or schedule a pickup time from home.
Fees for shipping items over five pounds are listed below.
|Package weight||Label fee|
|Up to 5 lbs||Free|
Poshmark’s return policy
All sales are final unless the buyer opens a return case because the item wasn’t received or was not as described in the listing. If the case is approved, the seller will be refunded.
Selling on Tradesy
Tradesy uses a pricing feature that’s calculated based on interest and demand. You can communicate with buyers via direct message — but keep in mind funds from sales may not be available immediately.
Follow these steps to sell on Tradesy:
- Begin by creating an account with your email or Facebook account.
- Choose one of the five categories available: Weddings, Accessories, Shoes, Bags or Clothing.
- Choose a specific item within that category.
- Upload or take pictures of your item and enter the designer name.
- Answer a few questions — if retail tags are attached, if there are any signs of wear and sizing information.
- Add in item details like color and material.
- Enter the optional retail price to get an estimate for your selling price.
- Set smart pricing at the lowest amount you will go for that item. Tradesy adjusts your price based on demand and buyer interest.
- Select your shipping choice of either a free kit, free prepaid label or your own label and shipping supplies.
- Preview a listing summary and then publish it.
Once you sell an item on Tradesy, you need to confirm the sale within three days or it will be canceled and refunded. Once your item is sold, funds are considered pending and may be held by Tradesy for up to 21 days.
Transfer your earnings to a PayPal account, debit card or checking account for a fee. Or use your balance in-full as cash to buy something else on Tradesy.
- The smart pricing feature ensures that your listing maintains a competitive price.
- App interface is straightforward and user-friendly, according to online reviews.
- Buyers can send private messages about your listings.
- Listed price includes the buyer’s shipping cost.
- Free shipping kit and prepaid label available.
- Automatically cleans the first image in the listing removing the image background.
- You can only view the thumbnail photos for your listing before publishing.
- $10 minimum selling price.
- Must sell wedding items without a kit or prepaid label.
- Can take up to 21 days to receive payment.
- There is an earnings transfer fee to transfer funds to your bank or PayPal.
Which brands and items sell best on Tradesy?
According to its blog, the Rag, the bestselling brands on Tradesy include Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, Hermes, Gucci and Saint Laurent. The most popular items within these brands are handbags, with jewelry, scarves, and shoes in new condition at a close second.
Tradesy deducts a flat commission of $7.50 for sales under $50, and 19.8% for sales above $50. It also deducts a 2.9% transfer fee for payment processing.
Before selling your item, you’ll select one of three shipping options: a shipping kit, printable shipping label with insurance and tracking or self-shipping. Tradesy mails or emails you the kit or label three to five days after a sale is made. If you choose to ship an item with your own packaging and shipping service, you’ll need to estimate the shipping cost before publishing a listing and add in a tracking number when an item is shipped.
Your shipping cost selection will be worked into the listed price that your buyer pays.
Where to recycle worn clothing
Many retailers offer clothing recycling programs, including:
|Madewell||Bring in any old pair of jeans to Madewell and get $20 off a new pair.|
|Patagonia||Trade in Patagonia clothing and get a Worn Wear merchandise credit valued at up to $100.|
|Nike||Bring any brand of athletic shoes to a participating Nike location and the Reuse-A-Shoe program will recycle them through Nike Grind.|
|The North Face||Drop off unwanted clothing and footwear at The North Face retail stores or outlets and receive a $10 reward toward your next purchase of $100 or more.|
Other options to reuse old clothes
If you don’t want to sell your clothing or donate to a local thrift store, check out these options.
- Get creative and upcycle! With easy DIY tutorials available online, you can take an old shirt or pair of jeans and turn it into something new. You can also cut clothing into squares to make reusable cleaning rags.
- Recycle at major retailers to get a discount or store credit.
Other secondhand marketplaces
- Mercari.List a variety of items here with a flat selling fee of 10%. Receive free direct deposits for amounts over $10, or pay a $2 instant-pay fee.
- ThredUP. Order a clean-out kit and send them a bag of your used clothing. Get cash or credit for the items it lists, and it will donate the rest!
- Fashionphile. Sell secondhand designer items here with a commission fee of 30% on items listed up to $3,000, and 15% on items $3,000+.
Frequently asked questions
What will help my listings sell faster?
Here are some general tips to follow to put your items in the best light:
- Use natural lighting for your item pictures
- Have a stellar cover shot
- Be detailed and honest in the item description
- Share your listings on social media and with friends
How are items authenticated?
On Poshmark, luxury items are shipped to Poshmark HQ for authentication before being shipped to the buyer. They have a team of luxury authentication experts that inspect logos, tags, materials, hardware and more.
Tradesy items are listed without physical authentication from the company, but Tradesy says it has advanced authentication technology to detect and get rid of replica items. If you feel that you were sold an inauthentic item, file a misrepresentation claim.
You’ll receive a prepaid shipping label to send the item to Tradesy HQ for verification. If the item is a duplicate, you’ll get a full refund. If it’s not and you still want to return it, you’ll receive site credit.
Can I trade items on Poshmark and Tradesy?
Trading item-for-item is prohibited on Tradesy. It’s allowed on Poshmark — but items aren’t covered by the Posh Protect policy.
More guides on Finder
Get up to 90% off popular brands through ThredUp, a secondhand clothing website. Here’s what you need to know before you start shopping.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Sites like Mercari
Looking for an alternative to Mercari? Here are some worthy competitors that offer high-end brands at steep discounts.
Sites that sell secondhand clothing
From offering discounted designer brands to one-of-a-kind vintage apparel, secondhand clothing sites create the ultimate online shopping experience — and help the planet.
Lululemon Boxing Day sales 2021
Score savings on the season’s hottest athleisure trends with the Boxing Day sales from Lululemon.
Top 30+ neckties and bow ties made in the USA
Shop these brands that are dedicated to small-batch production. See our top picks of the best neckties and bow ties made here in the USA.
JM Bullion review
Pros and cons of buying and selling with this Texas-based bullion business.
Money Metals Exchange review
Pros and cons of buying and selling through this Idaho-based bullion provider.
How to sell on eBay
A beginner’s guide to selling on the “world’s largest marketplace” — setting up a store, fees, shipping and money-saving tips.
40 sites that sell made in USA face masks
Buy surgical, cloth and 3M face masks that are made in America. This page is updated daily with top American-made brands that have masks in stock now.
Ask an Expert