Wells Fargo Portfolio checking account
Top-tier service with high minimums required.
finder.com’s rating: 2.3 / 5.0
Opening a Portfolio checking account makes you eligible for discounts on loans, investment accounts and other bank services — plus a personal banker to guide you along. While the budget-conscious might balk at high minimum balances, others may appreciate the customized approach.
$30 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$30 per month|
|To waive the fee||$25,000 or more in qualifying linked bank deposits, OR|
$50,000 or more in qualifying linked bank, brokerage and credit balances
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||Over 13,000 ATMs|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Those with qualifying balances of $250,000 or more have unlimited non-Wells Fargo ATM surcharge reimbursements|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
What are the benefits of a checking account with Wells Fargo?
You’ll have access to Wells Fargo’s vast infrastructure, including the Wells Fargo Mobile app, which has nearly a 5-star rating in both Apple and Android stores. Wells Fargo’s debit cards come with zero liability on debit card fraud and 24/7 monitoring for fishy activity.
The Portfolio account earns APY on balances from to and 0.01% APY on or more — a rarity for checking accounts. Other perks include:
- Fees waived at out-of-network ATMs. Withdraw cash within the US and abroad without getting dinged for non-Wells Fargo ATM fees. Note that fees imposed by the ATMs themselves won’t be reimbursed unless you’ve got balances of at least $250,000 overall.
- Qualify for discounts and rewards. Want to open a personal or home equity loan? Portfolio clients receive special discounts on interest rates, plus lower fees for investment services and bonus points on eligible credit cards.
- Access to the Wells Fargo Premier Banking team. You’ll be partnered with an expert who acts as a single point of contact, assisting with everything from investing to loans to writing you a tailored financial plan.
What is Portfolio by Wells Fargo Plus?
Those with qualifying balances of $250,000 or more are bumped up into the Plus tier of Portfolio. This comes with additional perks like unlimited non-Wells Fargo ATM surcharge reimbursements, free wire transfers and free stop payment requests.
Wells Fargo’s ATM network and fees
Wells Fargo customers can find over 13,000 ATMs and 5,500 branch locations across the country by using its ATM locator online or through the app.
However, the following states don’t have any Wells Fargo ATMs or branch locations:
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia
What should I look out for?
Portfolio rewards members who want to open multiple Wells Fargo accounts, but may not be the right fit for those looking for a one-off or basic account. Other potential drawbacks include:
- High balance needed for eligibility. By the end of the second statement period, you’ll need $10,000 in combined balances — including eligible linked accounts — to maintain your Portfolio status.
- Service fees. A $30 monthly maintenance fee can only be waived with $25,000 or more in linked deposits, or at least $50,000 in linked bank, brokerage and credit balances.
- International debit card fees. You’ll be charged an extra 3% on top of every transaction each time you swipe the debit card overseas.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a Portfolio checking account?
Here’s how to sign up:
- Visit Wells Fargo’s website, select Personal in the upper-left corner, hover over “Banking and Cards” and select Checking Accounts.
- On the next page, click Compare All Accounts.
- Scroll until you see the Portfolio by Wells Fargo infobox. Click Open Now.
- First, indicate whether you’re opening a joint or individual account and if you’re already a Wells Fargo customer. Click Continue.
- Input personal information like your name, Social Security number and ID.
- Check the box at the bottom of the page consenting that Wells Fargo can make inquiries with state, federal and consumer reporting agencies to get insight into your credit and financial history — a standard part of applying to open a new account (it shouldn’t affect your credit score). Click Continue.
- Agree to the terms of service and confirm how you’d like to fund the account. You’ll then receive a response informing you of the next steps.
To qualify for a Portfolio checking account, you’ll need to be at least 18 years old and a US citizen.
Before applying to open a Portfolio checking account, gather:
- Social Security number.
- Valid US ID such as a driver’s license or state-issued ID
- $25 for the initial deposit — pay with debit or credit card, or by transferring funds from another Wells Fargo account
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Options for depositing money into your Portfolio account include:
- Direct deposit. Automatically add funds to your account by linking your routing and account number with your employer.
- Mobile deposit. Use Wells Fargo’s mobile deposit feature to snap a picture of your check for electronic deposit.
- In-person deposit. Connect with a teller at a branch location.
- ATM deposit. Submit up to 50 bills or 30 checks to a Wells Fargo ATM for automatic deposit.
- Electronic transfer. Move money from one account to another, whether through a wire transfer or your online account.
Withdrawing funds from your Wells Fargo Portfolio checking account can be done at the following spots:
- ATM. Visit one of over 13,000 nationwide ATMs to access cash.
- Branch location. Get exact change and face-to-face service at a Wells Fargo Branch location.
You can also transfer money out of your Portfolio checking account electronically if you’re moving funds to a savings account, for example.
What other checking options does Wells Fargo offer?
Wells Fargo has a wealth of options to fit different lifestyles and financial situations. All of its checking accounts require a $25 minimum deposit to open:
- Everyday Checking. The $10 monthly fee is waived for young adults ages 17 to 24, making it ideal for students. Though there are four more ways to waive fees for those 25 and above.
- Preferred Checking. Waive the $15 monthly service fee by maintaining $10,000 in combined balances or by direct depositing more than $1,000 per statement cycle.
- Teen Checking. Adolescents ages 13 to 17 — or 18 in Alabama — can open this account with an adult co-owner at a branch location.
- Opportunity Checking. Individuals with low or troublesome credit might be offered this account at a branch location if they don’t qualify for other options.
Wells Fargo offers full-service support with its Portfolio checking account. But if you’re looking for a more basic account or smaller minimum balance requirements, compare checking accounts to find one that suits your situation.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.