Policygenius disability insurance review 2020
This marketplace helps you to find the best disability insurance match for your needs.
- Consider Policygenius if… You want to be guided through the process of getting disability insurance.
- Look elsewhere if… You already have a solid idea of what you need in a disability policy.
Short term disability
Long term disability
|Benefit period||2, 5, or 10 years or until age 65 or 67|
|Waiting period||60 - 365 days|
|Coverage amount||$100 to $20,000|
|Available states||All 50 states|
No info available
- Guides you through the process
- Access to multiple quotes
- Online help available
- Medical exam might be required
- You may have to request reconsideration
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Policygenius streamlines the process of buying disability insurance by offering assistance from licensed advisors. It also helps you to work out how much coverage you need, and then complete the application for the best possible outcome. If you’re considering buying a policy from a national carrier, Policygenius can save you time.
But if you’re looking for a niche provider or hoping to get a policy without a medical exam, you may want to compare disability insurance companies on your own.
How does Policygenius work?
As a broker, Policygenius doesn’t directly provide disability insurance. Instead, it matches you with insurance companies, pulls quotes and helps you to complete your application.
It supports online applications, and offers live support during business hours for each stage.
How do I know I’m getting the best rates?
Policygenius stands out for assisting its customers through the application process. If the insurance company comes back with a higher premium than they originally quoted, Policygenius will take your application to other insurers to try to get you a better rate.
Policygenius disability insurance reviews and complaints
Policygenius has a near-perfect rating on Trustpilot. Of the over 1,730 customer reviews, 93% are 5 out of 5 stars. Many customers praise the Policygenius staff’s helpfulness when it comes to figuring out how much insurance they need and completing the application itself.
The marketplace is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and has an A- rating for its customer rating. Customers award the company 4.57 out of 5 stars, and the BBB has only recorded five complaints over the past three years, as of October 2020.
Which disability insurance companies does Policygenius work with?
Policygenius currently works with over 15 insurers to provide short- and long-term disability policies. The potential insurers you could be matched with include:
- Fidelity Security
- Illinois Mutual
- Mutual of Omaha
- Northwestern Mutual
- Ohio National
- Petersen International
- Principal Financial Group
- State Farm
- The Standard
There are two huge measures of a company’s trustworthiness. Its financial strength points to its ability to pay out its policies, while its customer satisfaction ratings reflect how the company treats its customers.
Generally, Policygenius works with companies that are highly rated with both AM Best and the Better Business Bureau.
|Company||A.M. Best||Better Business Bureau|
|Mutual of Omaha||A+||A+|
|Mutual of Omaha||A+||A+|
|Principal Financial Group||A+||A+|
Pros and cons of Policygenius disability insurance
- Guides you through the process. You’ll start by figuring out how much insurance you need, and Policygenius will make recommendations as you choose your benefit amount, waiting period, features and go through the actual application.
- Access to multiple quotes. Depending on your application, you may be able to get quotes from more than one of over 15 companies Policygenius works with.
- Online help available. While you get automated assistance through the process, you can also chat online or call a representative during business hours for any questions that come up.
- Medical exam might be required. You may need to undergo a medical exam depending on your application and the company you’re matched with.
- You may have to request reconsideration. While you can have Policygenius shop your application around to other insurers if your premiums are higher than quoted, you may also have to ask the company you applied with to reconsider if you missed something on the application.
How do I sign up for Policygenius disability insurance?
To use Policygenius to get disability insurance, you’ll need to hop online. You can get support during the process via phone or online chat.
- Go to the Policygenius website and click Disability.
- Fill out your gender, date of birth and choose your state then click Next.
- Provide information about your job and income then select Next.
- Choose your benefit amount and click Next.
- Select your waiting period then Next.
- Choose your benefit period and click Next.
- Select any additional features then Next.
- Fill out your health information and click Next.
- Check over your information and press Get your rates.