PNC Bank online money transfers review
PNC Bank wire transfers aren't your cheapest option for sending money internationally, but online transfers within the US are free.
With the growing number of money transfer services, PNC Bank’s throwing a hat in the ring. Through Zelle and PopMoney, PNC Bank customers can make fast and free domestic transfers on their desktop or mobile phone.
However, international transfers take longer, are sent through ACH payments and can cost up to $45 – expensive for a money transfer service. If you want to see what other services send money overseas, check out this table and compare cheaper options.
Fastest Transfer Speed
Minimum Transfer Amount
PNC Bank requires that customers visit local bank branches to initiate wire transfers, which is far less convenient than many alternative money transfer options.
How do I send money through PNC Bank?
PNC Bank offers multiple ways to send and wire money, including online, mobile and ACH. You must have a checking or savings account to send money through PNC Bank.
Using the Zelle payment platform, use your mobile phone to make domestic transfers. Download the PNC app, and enter the recipient’s email address or mobile number, and the amount you’d like to transfer. The recipient doesn’t have to have a PNC Bank account. Transfers between Zelle accounts take minutes. If your recipient doesn’t have a Zelle account, the transfer can take one to three days.
PNC Bank international wire transfer
To send an international wire transfer with PNC Bank, you’ll need to physically visit a PNC Bank branch location.
- Visit your local PNC Bank branch in person.
- Ask for the Wire Transfer Request form, or tell a PNC Bank employee you want to wire money internationally.
- Fill out the Wire Transfer Request form, or have a PNC Bank teller help you fill it out.
- Give the Wire Transfer Request form to a PNC Bank teller and confirm you have the funds available to make the transfer.
- Collect receipts and transfer delivery information. Be sure to ask for PNC Bank’s Wire Transfer Disclosure Statement so you have the most up-to-date information on fees, rules and regulations.
It is possible to initiate a PNC Bank domestic wire transfer over the phone, but you’ll face additional fees and potential delays.
PNC Bank wire transfer fees
PNC Bank’s wire transfer fees depend on how you’re sending the transfer and whether you’re sending or receiving an international wire transfer:
|Outgoing (from a PNC branch)||Outgoing (by phone)||Incoming|
|Domestic wire transfer||$30||$45||$15|
|International wire transfer||$45||N/A||$15|
|Tracer fee (optional)||$15||$15||N/A|
Note: Wire transfer fees from July 2020 for PNC Bank Standard Checking accounts.
PNC Bank’s wire transfer fees are competitive compared to other banks, but are typically worse than using a money transfer company.
How are PNC Bank’s exchange rates?
PNC Bank’s exchange rates compare favorably with other banks. Generally, exchange rates fluctuate based on the market and the currency you’re using. However, you might find foreign exchange brokers charge lower fees than banks.
How does PNC Bank compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What types of transfers can I make with PNC Bank?
You have two options for transferring money with PNC Bank:
- One-off transfers. Make a one-time wire transfer.
- Recurring transfers. Schedule a repeating wire transfer.
You can send your international wire transfer on the same day or initiate a transfer for a future date by visiting a PNC Bank branch location. If you submit your transfer by 4 p.m. ET, it will typically be processed the same business day.
Based on federal regulations, there’s a limit of six outgoing transfers per month from PNC Bank savings accounts. You might be charged a fee if you exceed this limit.
What are the pros and cons of using PNC wire transfers?
- Easy to use mobile app. Initiate a transfer through Zelle in minutes using just your recipient’s email address or mobile number.
- Free and quick domestic transfers. Make a transfer in minutes online or through its app for free.
- Transfer limits. Send as little or as much as you’d like for domestic transfers. Outgoing international wire transfers must be at least $100.
- Weaker exchange rate. You might not get the best deal on your exchange rate compared to other money transfer companies like OFX.
- Expensive international transfers. Expect to pay fees as high as $45 for international transfers.
- PNC Bank account required You need a PNC Bank savings or checking account to make a transfer.
What are PNC Bank’s transfer limits?
PNC Bank doesn’t list any maximum limits for domestic or international transfers, but there is a $100 minimum limit when sending an international wire transfer.
How do I track my PNC wire transfer?
Track your money transfer transactions via the bank’s mobile banking and Virtual Wallet apps, or through the online banking app. Follow up on your international delivery by calling the branch where you made the transaction.
Does Zelle work with PNC?
Yes. PNC customers can send money domestically with Zelle, a peer-to-peer payment service, using the mobile app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Log in and select Transfer with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to select a recipient and enter the amount you want to send.
- Hit Send money.
- Check to make sure you got a confirmation that your money was sent.
How do I find my PNC routing and account number?
Because your routing number may vary based on where your primary PNC Bank branch is located, use these instructions to make sure you have the correction information before initiating a transfer. If you are setting up an incoming wire transfer, the PNC Bank Routing Number will be 043000096.
PNC routing information on paper checks
Look at the bottom of your PNC Bank issued paper check to find both your account number and your routing number. Both will be at the bottom, with the routing number typically being nine digits and located furthest left. Your account number is located to the right of it and may be between 9-12 digits.
PNC routing information in online statements
You’ll need to download or access your account statement online, typically in PDF form. To do this:
- Sign in to PNC online banking
- Select your account
- Click on Online Statements from the Account Activity page.
- Click on Print Statement, your routing number and account number can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the printed statement.
PNC routing information online
This method can be done entirely online.
- Sign in to PNC online banking
- Select your account
- Click on show Account & Routing Number in the Account dropdown menu.
- Verify your identity by providing account information
- Click on For wire transfers to see routing and account information needed for sending or receiving a wire transfer.
PNC routing information through SmartAccess
Use PNC’s SmartAccess feature to quickly see routing and account information.
- Sign in to PNC online banking
- Sign in to SmartAccess
- Look for the Direct Deposit Information section, your routing number and account number will be found here.
What other products does PNC Bank offer?
PNC Bank is a full-service financial institution offering individuals and businesses a full range of services that include:
- Retail banking. Choose from personal savings and checking accounts with minimal deposit requirements.
- Credit, debit and prepaid cards. Find a wide array of credit cards offering low rates, cash back and other perks.
- Home, auto and personal loans. Get financing to buy or refinance your home, buy a car or pay for your education at attractive interest rates.
- Investment and retirement. PNC Investments guides you in how to get started investing, manages existing investments and helps you plan for retirement through brokerage accounts, insurance, stocks, bonds and IRAs.
- Wealth management. Take advantage of private banking, investments management and trust and estate services to stay on the path to financial freedom.
- Business banking. Find business accounts, point-of-sale payment solutions, business cards, lending options and lines of credit, foreign exchange services and other small business banking services. Receive and send transfers in US dollars and foreign currency through Pinnacle.
PNC Bank is best for domestic mobile transfers, with free and quick transfers between accounts using Zelle. However, the fees for international transfers are high, and you have to visit a branch to initiate a transfer. You can get a better deal and quicker transfer with other online money transfer companies. Before you choose how you’ll make your next transfer, compare your options with our top picks for domestic money transfers.