Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to the Netherlands
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to the Netherlands from the Philippines.
The Netherlands is a popular destination for travelers the world over. And when you need to send money there, either to a visitor of the country or a loved one who lives there, you’ll want to find the best rates possible to keep transfer costs cheap. You’ll want to shop around to find a good deal.
A money transfer service will get you a better exchange rate than the banks, and usually charge much lower fees.
How to compare money transfer services
Ask yourself these following questions:
- What exchange rate am I getting? You want to find a service that will transfer your money at the most competitive exchange rate and charge minimal – or zero – transfer fees. Some transfer services offer lower or waived fees for bigger amounts while still maintaining a competitive exchange rate.
- Does the pick up method suit my recipient? Money can be delivered via courier, collected in person at an agency or deposited directly into the recipient’s account.
- Does the transfer method suit me? You can transfer money online, between bank accounts or via a direct cash deposit at the transfer service’s agency. Choose a method that suits both you and the recipient.
- What fees are being charged? Some services charge a flat rate irrespective of the amount, while others vary the fee according to how much you send.
- What’s the turnaround time for the money transfer? Delivery time can be anywhere between an hour and three to five days.
- What’s the minimum transfer amount? Most transfer services start with minimum amounts of between PHP39 and PHP390. In some cases, fees are charged for amount brackets. For example, a PHP156 fee can be charged for transferring between PHP39 and PHP7, 800.
- Does the customer service team take care of me? It’s important that the service has effective and competent customer service and is easily contactable.
How do I send money to the Netherlands from the Philippines?
You can send money to the Netherlands in the following ways:
- Money transfer services. These offer some of the most cost-effective transfers as they only trade in foreign currencies.
- Philippine banks. The Euro (EUR) is one of the most popular currencies so it’s safe to assume that any major bank will offer it. If you’re an account holder with Citibank or Wells Fargo, these two banks have branches in the Philippines. Check out their locations online on their respective websites.
- Cash transfers. Services such as Western Union allow you to send cash transfers for immediate pick-up by the recipient. While it’s a fast way to send money, it generally won’t match the rates or fees of dedicated money transfer services.
How do I receive money from the Netherlands in the Philippines?
Western Union can be found all over the Philippines, even in the provinces, making it the default choice for receiving money abroad. All you need is to ask your relatives or friends to wire the money directly through Western Union and you can pick it up at any Western Union accredited partner or branch.
Emergency cash transfers in the Netherlands
If you’re in a tight spot and need money sent to the Netherlands in a hurry, there are a few transfer methods that guarantee quick – sometimes instant – delivery.
- Bank transfers. The quickest way to get money into your account is via a bank transfer. The process itself can be completed in 10 minutes and the money lands in your account on the same day – sometimes just an hour later.
- Cash pick-ups. Collect your money from the money transfer service’s local agency. This way you can collect cash in person within minutes of it being sent.
Western Union and MoneyGram branches in the Netherlands
Below are a few pick-up locations for money sent via Western Union and MoneyGram.
Tips for picking up cash in the Netherlands
It is advisable for travellers to apply a normal level of safety precautions while in the Netherlands. While crime is relatively low, there is a heightened threat of terrorism. If you’re going to collect cash at a money transfer agency, try and take someone with you. Be sure to get there during office hours, so you don’t have to wait around by yourself until they open.
What are the steps to send money to the Netherlands?
Depending on the service you choose, you’ll need to provide some or all of the following information:
- Your email address
- The recipient’s name, address and bank account details
- The amount you’d like to send
The bank or transfer service will send you a confirmation email or give you a receipt if you’ve made the transfer in person.
Thanks to a variety of money-transfer agencies facilitating international transfers to the Netherlands, you have several options at your disposal.
More guides on Finder
Review: Paysera international money transfers
We review Paysera’s fees, rates and more for international payments and transfers.
Multifunction printer buying guide: Compare inkjet and laser printers
Learn how to choose a multifunction printer that best suits your needs.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into Europe
Need to send large sums of money from the Philippines to Europe? Protect yourself from penalties and save time with this guide.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into China
Need to send a lot of money to China? Protect yourself from penalties and save time with this tax and documentation guide.
How to safely transfer a large amount of money internationally
What are the best options for sending or receiving a large amount of money overseas? Read this ₱50,000 case study with exchange rates and fees comparison.
How to buy cryptocurrency with your bank account
Want to buy cryptocurrency using your bank account but don’t know how? Find out everything you need to know in this comprehensive guide.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
We put MoneyGram and Western Union side by side to help you make a decision for your next local or international payment.
How to send money to someone without a bank account
Transfer agents, mobile wallets and online credit card payments don’t necessarily require a bank account.