How to send money to Japan cheaply
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Japan from the Philippines.
Whether you’re a Japanese national living in the Philippines trying to support a family back home, or a Filipino buying a property or car in Japan, there’s never been a better time to need to transfer money to the land of the rising sun.
There are now many banks and money transfer services available to help you send money overseas to Japan without high exchange rates and high fees.
Compare international money transfer companies which allow transfers to Japan
You can use the table below to sort through different money transfer options to Japan. Use the table headings to sort through fees, minimum transfer amounts, transfer methods and more. If you’d like to find out more about a product, click the “More” link, or if you’d like to register with the service click on “Go to Site”.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Japan
Look closely at the following when comparing money transfer service providers to avoid paying more than you have to:
- Exchange rate. This is where you have the most opportunity to lose money without even knowing it. Check these carefully from provider to provider to find the one that gives the best* rates.
- Fees. Calculate the fees as well and figure them into the difference. While on the surface, it appears that the fees of the transfer service are exorbitant, they still don’t make up the difference in the amount of money lost in the exchange rate.
- Pickup methods. This depends on your personal situation and that of the person who you are sending the money to. The flexibility of having options within one company can make things easier, especially if the money is needed immediately.
- Transfer time. For regular payments, waiting a few days may not be a problem but when you need the money fast you may like the option of a quicker transfer.
- Transfer amount. If you have plans of sending large amounts of money at a time, you will want to check with the provider first. Most will have a limit on the amount you can send per transaction.
How to send money to Japan from the Philippines
Japanese nationals have many options available to them for sending money back home including:
- Banks. Almost all Philippine banks which offer international money transfers will allow you to transfer funds to Japan. This includes the big banks and a large number of smaller banks. Some bank accounts, such as multi currency accounts, can be used to keep your funds in JPY and convert them to other currencies when you want to.
- Money transfer services. Transfer services including the ones mentioned in the table above, and others including Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to make transfers to Japan. Some of these services allow you to schedule regular transfers, forward contracts and limit orders.
What will I need to send money to Japan?
Sending money from the Philippines to Japan will be relatively easy once you learn the steps. If you have set up a bank account for these transactions you can typically do the transfer online. For money transfer service providers like Western Union and MoneyGram that only allows in person transfers at agent locations, be prepared with the following information:
- Recipient name. With cash transfers it is important that the name you send the money to matches perfectly with the recipient’s identification. Double check that the agent made no errors before leaving the location.
- Amount sent. The agent at the pickup location is going to ask a number of questions to make sure that the money is being given to the individual it was intended for. Make sure that you let your family member know the exact amount.
- Tracking number. Transfers are tracked using a distinct set of numbers. For security purposes the recipient will need to give these numbers at the pickup agency.
- Your name. The recipient should also know your name and contact information.
You will be given documentation once the transaction is complete. Provide your recipient with the correct information and keep those papers in case there is a problem with picking up the money.
Finding a reliable company to send your money from the Philippines to Japan can provide you with peace of mind that your family is always being taken care of. Explore the options available, both banks and transfer companies, to find the one that meets your needs for the best priceBack to top
Emergency cash transfers in Japan
Visitors to Japan can also take advantage of money transfer services if they suddenly find themselves without any cash:
- Money transfer companies. Even non-residents of Japan are permitted to pick up money if a family member or friend sends them emergency funds from the Philippines. So long as you have the transfer number and passport you should be able to easily retrieve this money.
- Travel insurance. When travelling overseas, it is essential that you purchase a travel insurance policy. This can help you with quick access to money if you are the victim of a crime or lose your wallet while visiting Japan.
Western Union and MoneyGram cash pickup locations in Japan
Tips for picking up cash in Japan
Japan is a safe vacation destination for travelers. You should, however, exercise caution when picking up your cash. If possible go during the day and use a taxi or hotel-supplied form of transportation to get to the pickup location.Back to top