Stop settling for high fees and bad exchange rates when sending cash to Italy.
If you’ve been sending Philippine pesos to Italy without much thought for what company or bank you use, chances are your money isn’t working as hard as it could be.
Because of the large number of money transfer services in the market today, you can send money faster, cheaper and with more options than you can with many banks.
Find the right transfer service for you in the table below
Send more Euros to Italy by selecting the right transfer company
Heather Transfers Funds to Italy
Alessandra is considering moving from her home in Italy to Manila to live with a friend she met university. The trouble is she still has student loans to pay and will need to find a secure way to make these payments.
Knowing her parents will accept transfers and make the deposit for her, Alessandra decides to check the money transfer options she will have while in Manila by seeing how many Euros (EUR) her parents will receive for every Php50,000 that she sends.
|Philippine Bank||Money Transfer Company|
|Exchange rate||1 PHP = 0.01608 EUR||1 PHP = 0.02 EUR|
|Amount in EUR received for Php50,000||EUR||EUR|
|Transfer time||Usually 2 business days||1 – 3 business days|
|Transfer options||bank transfer||bank transfer|
Using a money transfer service saves Alessandra an extra ___ EUR, which amounts to a saving of ___ EUR over the course of the year (she makes 12 payments).
Get the most out of your transfer with these hints
There are a few points that need to be considered when comparing money transfer options:
- Exchange rate. The exchange rate looks similar but once you see it applied to a large amount of money it is obvious how small changes in the decimal amount can make a difference.
- Transfer fee. The transfer fees between different organizations differ significantly and need to be measured against the exchange rate offered. It is important to take into account that this fee is not necessarily the full fee charged.
- Transfer options. Banks offer cash pick-up options as well as international money orders and bank-to-bank transfers. They also have a bill-pay option that can be used to send the money directly to a recipient.
- Transfer time. Some money transfer services can have funds available within minutes. On the other side of the spectrum some services can take up to five business days.
- Customer service. If planning on sending money to Italy on a regular basis, it is a good idea to check into dispute resolution processes for the institution you choose in case there is an error or delay with your transfer.
How to send money to Italy from the Philippines
You will find a number of options available for sending money from the Philippines to Italy:
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram offers cash pick-up only for recipients in Italy.
- OFX. OFX offers a range of options for sending money to Italy if you’re sending more than PHP50,000.
- Western Union. For money transfers to Italy, Western Union allows for both cash pick up and bank transfers.
- TransferWise. TransferWise uses a unique peer-to-peer lending system to ensure you get the best deal when sending money to Italy.
Get your hands on emergency cash while in Italy
Italy is a popular travel destination for Filipinos. If you find yourself in sudden need of cash due to a loss or robbery, you have a few options to consider:
- Travel insurance. Travel insurance cover will usually include provisions for providing emergency cash. Make sure to save any supporting documentation such as any police reports for use when you file a claim.
- Transfer service. A Filipino does not need to be a resident of Italy to pick up cash at a transfer company agency. Just make sure you have your identification and details of the transfer.
- Credit card. A number of credit card companies also include complimentary international travel cover for cardholders. With this cover the insurer may be able to send a cash advance in the event of an emergency.
Find a cash pick up location in Italy with this brief list
Below are listed some of the cash pick up locations you will find in Italy for Western Union and MoneyGram, two of the agencies that offer the service. Before you go to the agency to pick up cash, it’s a good idea to call ahead to verify the hours and that they have the cash on hand to fulfil your request.
Via Pollio 50 Interno Cc Auschan
Roma, Rm 159
Open seven days a week from 9am to 9pm
Banco Popolare Di Milano
Piazza Della Repubblica 54
Roma, Rm 185
Open Monday through Saturday 8:30am to 4pm. Closed on Sunday
Box Interno Stazione Ferroviaria
Piazza Garibaldi Snc
Napoli, Na 80100
Open seven days a week from 9am to 7pm.
Nuvola Grigia Di Errico Guido E C SAS
Corso Vittoriio Emanuele Int Staz Fs
Napoli, Napoli 80100
Open Monday through Saturday 7am to 7:30pm. Closed on Sunday
Global Expert SRL
Via Modena 48
Open Seven days a week from 9am to 8 pm.
Poste Italiane #55195
Via Terme Di Diocliziano 30
Open Monday through Saturday 7:30am to 8pm. Sunday closed.
Piazza Garibaldi 80
Open seven days a week from 9am to 6pm.
Via Antonio Ranieri 10
Open Seven days a week from 8:30am to 10pm.
Tips for picking up cash in Italy
When picking up cash, it is advisable to be extra vigilant and to travel to and from the agency using reliable and well-known means of transportation. Have your photo identification with you as well as the tracking number for the transfer.
If you choose the money transfer option to send money to Italy from the Philippines your recipient is going to need the following information when arriving at the agency:
- Contact information. Your name and location to verify the transaction.
- Tracking code. Each money transfer is given a special code which the beneficiary must supply on pick up.
- Amount sent. The agent will also ask how much money they are expecting to receive.
- Photo identification. It is important that names exactly match photo identification.
At the conclusion of your transaction you will be given documents with the tracking number. Save these documents after sharing that number with the beneficiary in case there is a problem with the transfer.
There are a number of reasons why Filipino nationals and Italian immigrants would have reason to send money from the Philippines to Italy. It is important that you consider your circumstance when comparing the various options to make sure that the one you choose is giving you the best value for your money.Back to top