Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Hong Kong
Safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to Hong Kong from the Philippines.
The Philippines and Hong Kong share strong commercial and personal links. Around 160,000 Filipinos are based in Hong Kong, which means there are plenty of situations where you might need to send money from the Philippines.
Before you do, make sure you compare a range of money transfer providers to find the best possible deal.
Compare services that send money to Hong Kong from the Philippines
What's in this guide?
- Compare services that send money to Hong Kong from the Philippines
- Banks versus money transfer services
- How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Hong Kong
- How to send money to Hong Kong from the Philippines
- Emergency cash transfers in Hong Kong
- Western Union and MoneyGram cash pickup locations in Hong Kong
- Tips for picking up cash in Hong Kong
- How to send money to Hong Kong
Banks versus money transfer services
As the Hong Kong Dollar is a widely used currency, many major banks allow you to transfer Hong Kong Dollars overseas. However, banks generally offer poor exchange rates and relatively high fees for international money transfers, which can leave you significantly out of pocket. Instead of sending funds through your bank, why not consider the services of a money transfer company?Back to top
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Hong Kong
- Exchange rates. Check to see which company offers the best exchange rates, but remember that companies with higher exchange rates may also charge higher transfer fees.
- Fees. Make sure you’re aware of all the fees that you will incur with different providers when you send money to Hong Kong.
- Transfer methods. While some companies are online only, others will also allow you to place transfers from your smartphone, over the telephone or by visiting a branch.
- Transfer options. Check to see if you can place limit orders, lock in a good exchange rate with a forward contract or enjoy the convenience of setting up a regular payment.
- Turnaround time. Will your funds be available to your recipient in minutes, or will they need to wait for two or more days for the transaction to be processed?
- Minimum amount. Check to see whether each company imposes a minimum transfer limit as this can be restricting if you only need to transfer small sums of cash.
- Pickup methods. While some companies only offer bank account transfers, others offer cash pickup from an agent location, mobile wallet transfers and even home delivery.
- Customer service. If anything goes wrong with a transaction, will phone, email and live chat support be provided? During which hours?
How to send money to Hong Kong from the Philippines
- Bank transfers. Many banks will allow you to send Hong Kong Dollars from your account to your recipient’s Hong Kong bank account.
- Online money transfer providers. A range of specialist online providers offer a cheaper transfer method than the big banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Consider sending funds through Western Union or MoneyGram so that your recipient can pick up cash from an agent location.
- Cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure way to send money overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Hong Kong
If you need to transfer money to Hong Kong urgently, you may be charged a higher fee and have to settle for a lower exchange rate. Sometimes this sacrifice is necessary when you need to send an emergency cash transfer, but just make sure to carefully review all the details of a transaction before you commit to it.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Hong Kong
Although the Department of Foreign Affairs classifies Hong Kong as a safe country to visit, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care when picking up cash in Hong Kong. The following tips can help ensure your safety and the security of your money:
- Take a friend along to deter thieves
- Keep your cash hidden and don’t promote your wealth
- Avoid any high-crime areas
- Keep an eye on your wallet/bag at all times
- Deposit the funds into your bank account as soon as possible
How to send money to Hong Kong
There are plenty of options to choose from when you need to send money to Hong Kong, and whichever option you choose you will usually need to sign up for an account before sending your transfer. The exact registration process differs between companies but you’ll generally need to provide:
- Your full name
- Your address and contact details
- Your date of birth
- Proof of identity
- In some cases you will need to provide bank account or credit card information
Before you choose an international money transfer provider, compare the fees and benefits of a range of money transfer companies. Doing a thorough comparison will ensure that you get value for money when you send funds to Hong Kong.Back to top
More guides on finder
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
Sending $1 million overseas
Securely transfer $1million+ overseas with these services, legal documents and currencies.
Machinery and equipment import/export guide for the Philippines
Learn everything you should know before launching an Philippine-based import/export business that focuses on machinery and equipment.
Best international money transfer apps
We took a look at international money transfer apps and were impressed by what we saw. Learn why.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into China
Need to send a lot of money to China? Protect yourself from penalties and save time with this tax and documentation guide.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into Brazil
Looking to transfer a lot of money to Brazil? Protect yourself from penalties and save time with this tax and documentation guide.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into Italy
Need to send large amounts to Italy? Protect yourself from penalties and save time with our tax and documentation guide.
How to safely transfer a large amount of money internationally
What are the best options for sending or receiving a large amount of money overseas? Read this ₱50,000 case study with exchange rates and fees comparison.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
How to buy large amounts of bitcoin
Want to buy a large amount of bitcoin? This guide takes a look at the easiest and cheapest ways to spend big on cryptocurrency.