Find out which money transfer service lets you save when sending money to Greece!
The credit crisis in Greece has largely stabilised and the majority of large banks and global transfer providers have now reinstated their services into the country.
We contacted several banks and transfer providers to confirm that no restrictions are currently in place for money transfers into Greece at this point in time.
Compare your options for transferring funds to Greece
Select your currency and transfer amount, and compare the fees, rates and transfer times of different providers.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
What’s the current state of the Greek economy?
In February 2017, the Greek finance ministry announced that the yield on the country’s bonds was near that of its pre-2010 levels, before its economic crisis began.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) predicts Greece’s gross national product (GDP) will rise 2.8% in 2017, and an additional 1.2% yearly through 2020.
In June 2017, the Euro zone gave Greece a US$9.5 billion credit to help with debt relief. On 13 July 2017, Greece sent the IMF a letter detailing its plans to meet debt commitments by June 2018.
How to send money to Greece from the Philippines
There are generally three different transfer methods:
- Money transfer services. These offer some of the most cost-effective transfers as they only trade in foreign currencies.
- Philippine banks. The Euro (EUR) is a currency which is one of the most popular currencies so it’s safe to assume that any major bank will offer it. If you’re an account holder from Citibank or Wells Fargo, these two banks have branches in the Philippines. Check out their locations online in their respective websites.
- Cash transfers. Services such as Western Union allow you to send cash transfers for immediate pick-up by the recipient. While it’s a fast way to send money, it generally won’t match the rates or fees of dedicated money transfer services.
Case Study: Banks vs. money transfer services
For example, Stavros travels to the Philippines for work purposes, leaving his family in Greece. He needs to send money to his wife but discovers that bank transfer fees are high and the exchange rates are not competitive.
The following table compares rates for a money transfer from one of the Philippines’ big banks as of December 2017.
|Bank||Money Transfer Service|
|Exchange rate||59.88 PHP for 1 EUR||55.82 PHP for 1 EUR|
|Transfer fee||10 USD or 8.43 EUR||10 USD or 8.43 EUR|
|Transfer speed||1 to 2 days||Same day|
|Transfer options||Philippine bank account to Greek bank account||Pick up from agent|
|EUR received for PHP29,940||500||536.36|
|Difference in funds received||+36.36 EUR|
What’s the difference? By using a Money Transfer Service Stavros has an excess of EUR36.36. Note, this sample is fictional.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to Greece?
Comparing money transfer providers and banks could save you money, when you consider:
- Competitive exchange rates. Small differences in the exchange rate can have a big impact when transferring large amounts of money.
- Minimal fees. Fees may vary depending on the institution and the currency involved.
- A range of transfer methods. Both banks and transfer companies offer online transfers using a bank account or credit card. However, some may advise you visit an agent and start the transfer in person.
- Convenient pick-up methods. Whether it’s a personal or business transfer, it’s important to consider the circumstance of your primary recipient.
- Reliable customer service. The accessibility of a customer service representative is also worth considering in the event that something goes wrong.
What documentation do I need?
A bank to bank transfer is ideal if you’re regularly sending money to Greece to cover bills and investments. However, if you need to send money quickly, it’s worth considering a cash transfer agency and making note of the following:
- The recipient’s full name. The beneficiary of a cash transfer will need to show photo identification, so make sure the name on the order is the same as the ID.
- Your full name. As an additional security measure the agent may ask for the full name of the sender, be sure that the recipient knows your complete name.
- Your recipient’s contact information and bank details. Both the sender and the recipient must have each other’s address and contact details.
- The tracking number. Keep the tracking number given to you upon sending the transfer, as the recipient must provide this to the agent before the cash can be released.
Save all paperwork in case there’s a problem with the transfer, this serves as proof that the money was sent and will make it easier to recover.
While the Philippines and Greece are on opposite sides of the globe, they still maintain strong ties in their expat community and trade relations. When preparing your move, research the best ways to transfer money for both convenience and a competitive price.
Need an emergency cash transfer in the Philippines?
If you misplace your wallet or cash while travelling in the Philippines, there are several ways to receive more money and finish your vacation:
- Transfer service company. A friend or relative in Greece can send you emergency money through a transfer company, but you must provide photo identification.
- Bank transfers. Your Greek bank may be able to do an internal transfer to a Philippine bank account, but fees will apply for this emergency service.
- Credit card. Some credit card companies offer complimentary travel insurance as a card feature. Contact your provider if your insurance policy has been activated and use that insurance to replace your lost cash.
- Travel Insurance. Depending on the extent of your coverage the lost or stolen money could be replaced.
Receiving money in the Philippines
Just in case you find yourself needing money from relatives and friends in Greece, your best bet is to have them send it through Western Union. Western Union can be found all over the Philippines, even in the provinces, making it the default choice for receiving money abroad. All you need is to ask your relatives or friends to wire the money directly through Western Union and you can pick it up at any Western Union accredited partner or branch near you.
Western Union and its partner agents are literally all over the country. They are found in popular malls all over the city like SM Mall of Asia in Manila, or Robinsons Department Store in Cebu. Most pawnshops in the country are accredited agents of Western Union so you can also claim your money from them. It is safe to say that this is because pawnshops in the Philippines have a wide network that basically covers the country. Pawnshops like Cebuana Lhuillier, M Lhuillier and Palawan are accredited agents of Western Union in the Philippines.
Just a reminder: be sure to have any valid ID for identification purposes, such as passport, driver’s license, postal ID and the like when claiming your money.
Selected Western Union cash pick up locations in the Philippines
LBC EXPRESS INC HARRISON PLAZA LBC EXPRESS INC GREENBELT 1 LBC EXPRESS INC MARKET MARKET USSC SERVICE STORE-CDO COGON SM SAVEMORE BANGKAL USSC SERVICE STORE BAGUIO CENTER USSC SERVICE STORE CEBU ROBINSON SM SAVEMORE JARO 1
Q4 2F Main Hallway
Mabini St., Malate, Manila 1226
Paseo De Roxas St. corner Makati Ave.
Makati, Metro Manila 1226
2F Market Market, Mckinley Parkway Space
252 Global City, Taguig, Metro Manila 1600
GF, Ororama Supercenter, Barangay 39
Jr Borja St, Cogon, Cagayan De Oro
Misamis Oriental 9000
Along 7 Mc Arthur Highway
Barangay Bangkal, Davao
Davao Del Sur 8000
2F Baguio Center Mall near Rajah Soliman
Magsaysay Ave corner Dagohoy St.
Baguio, Benguet 2600
2F Robinsons Cybergate
Cebu City, Cebu 6000
Corner El 98 Libertad Street,
Jaro, Iloilo 5000
LBC EXPRESS INC HARRISON PLAZA
LBC EXPRESS INC GREENBELT 1
LBC EXPRESS INC MARKET MARKET
USSC SERVICE STORE-CDO COGON
SM SAVEMORE BANGKAL
USSC SERVICE STORE BAGUIO CENTER
USSC SERVICE STORE CEBU ROBINSON
SM SAVEMORE JARO 1