Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Bangladesh
Send money to Bangladesh using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank's rates.
Want to send money to loved ones in Bangladesh? We compare the different money transfer companies and services you can use to send money to Bangladesh, to help you find the right deal for you.
If you wish to send money to Bangladesh from the Philippines, these are some things to consider.
- Exchange rate and fees. Looking at one without paying attention to the other can prove to be a costly mistake. This is because while a fee-free service may come with an unfavourable exchange rate, the reverse can also be true. To establish which deal is better monetarily, simply compare how much money the recipient stands to receive.
- Ways to send money. If your bank enables you to send money to Bangladesh, you may be able to do so in person, over the phone or online. Several money transfer companies will let you send money to Bangladesh online. With some, you can visit a store or kiosk and initiate the process in person; with a few allowing you to complete the process over the phone as well.
- Ways to receive money. If the recipient has a bank account, you can consider transferring funds directly into their account. Visiting a cash pick-up centre to collect the transferred money is also an option.
- Using the same bank. If you and the recipient both have a relationship with the same bank, you can consider using its services for the transfer. Transfers within the same bank tend to take place quickly and you can save in fees as well.
- Turnaround time. Transfers to bank accounts can take one to 10 days or more. Money transfer companies typically take less time than banks. If you wish to send money to a cash pick-up centre, the transfer can take place almost instantly.
- Transfer options. If you plan to send money to Bangladesh periodically, consider working with a business that lets you schedule transfers, per your requirement. Some money transfer companies offer market orders and forward contracts, allowing you to make the most of fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.
- Minimum amounts. Some money transfer companies don’t let you transfer less than $500 or $1,000.
You can choose from different options when sending money to Bangladesh from the Philippines.
- Banks. If your bank lets you transfer money to a Bangladeshi bank account, it will in all probability charge a fee for its services. Another option is to send a bank-issued draft, cheque or money order via mail.
- Non-banks. Businesses such as Western Union and MoneyGram have a noticeable presence throughout Bangladesh, so you can use their services to send money to cash pick-up centres or bank accounts. PayPal also allows transfers to Bangladesh from the Philippines. To use its services, both you and the recipient need a PayPal account and opening a new account is free.
When receiving money from Bangladesh in the Philippines, you can choose from these options.
- Banks. By providing the recipient with your bank account details, you can receive money directly into your account. The sender can use the services of a local bank or a money transfer company to do this. You can also consider receiving a cheque, money order or draft, via mail.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram have numerous cash pick-up centres across the Philippines. You can receive money from Bangladesh at any of these centres. Turning to PayPal is also an option, provided you and the sender have PayPal accounts. Withdrawing funds from your PayPal account to your bank account is easy.
Dealing with losing your wallet in a foreign land can be a challenge. If this happens when you are in Bangladesh, make sure you report your credit and debit cards as lost or stolen immediately. You can then think about receiving emergency money in these ways:
- Cash pick-up. Can a friend or family member use the services of a transfer company to send you some money? If so, identify a convenient cash pick-up centre first, because the sender will need its details. Make sure the centre is in a safe, convenient location.
- Cash advance through credit card. If you are still in possession of an existing Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card, you may qualify for an emergency cash advance. To find out, you will need to visit a local participating bank.
- Travel insurance. The right kind of travel insurance can provide emergency money to deal with situations such as medical emergencies, flight delays and cancellations as well as lost and misplaced luggage.
You can find Western Union and MoneyGram cash pick-up centres at various locations in Bangladesh. When visiting these centres to collect cash, make sure you take a valid form of ID, such as your passport or driver’s licence with you. If you are going to receive a large sum, call ahead of time to check if the centre has adequate funds. Here are some cash pick-up centres in Bangladesh.
- Agrani Bank Limited
Open Monday to Thursday, 9am–5pm; Friday, 9am–3pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am–5pm
- Money Transfer Service
Begum Rokeya Avenue
Open 10am–4pm daily
- Agrani Bank Limited
Feringee Bazar Branch
Shib Bari Lane
Open Monday to Thursday, 9am–5pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am–5pm
- Money Transfer Service
Sheikh Mujib Rd
Open 9am–4pm daily
- Agrani Bank
Dilushka 9 D
Open Monday to Thursday, 9am–3pm; Sunday, 9am–3pm
- MoneyGram Transfer Service
110 Motijheel C A
Dhaka Gpo 1000
Open 24 hours a day
- Inside SIBL
East Nasirabad Mosque
Open Monday to Thursday, 10am–4pm; Saturday, 10am–2pm
- Money Transfer Service
O. R. Nizam Road Central Shopping Center 562 A
Open 24 hours a day
Instances of violent crimes such as armed robberies are not uncommon in Bangladesh. Petty crimes such as snatch-and-grab attacks as well as pickpocketing are common, especially in trains, rickshaws and other modes of public transport. There is an increased risk of robbery at night, so it is best to avoid travelling or walking, especially alone, after dark.
Given Bangladesh’s political situation, it does sees protests and arbitrary acts of violence from time to time. Avoid large crowds and protests, as they may turn violent without warning.
The steps you have to follow when sending money to Bangladesh depend on the method you choose.
- To a bank account. With this method, you will need to provide the recipient’s name, bank account number, bank name and the SWIFT code. If sending money through a transfer company or a bank other than your own, you will need to provide details of your bank account, debit card or credit card as well. You should receive a reference number upon initiating the transfer, which you can use to track its progress at any time.
- To a cash pick-up centre. You will have to provide the recipient’s name and a desired cash pick-up centre. You will need to provide details of your bank account, debit card or credit card to make the payment. You should receive a reference number, which you need to make sure you pass on to the recipient.
Read more on this topic
Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 Ever wondered how much a tall Starbucks latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from the Philippines, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Philippine currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from the Philippines without delay.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from the Philippines, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Qatar Compare your transfer options to find the most cost-effective and secure way to send money to Qatar.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Australia Save money when you send money to Australia from the Philippines. Compare banks and money transfer services to get the best deal on fees and rates.
How to send money to the Netherlands Taking the time to compare fees and delivery delays will help you decide on the best and most-effective method to suit your needs.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from the Philippines, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from the Philippines.
Ask an Expert