Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best credit cards to shop with
If shopping were a sport, a shopping credit card would be your best friend. Find the best shopping card with Finder and make shopping a fun and inexpensive hobby.
If you’re a frequent shopper, be it online or offline, locally or overseas, a good shopping credit card is a must-have in your arsenal of cards. These cards typically comes with a host of shopping perks, including accelerated reward earn, exclusive VIP deals, free shipping and 0% interest instalment plans.
To help you narrow down on your search, we’ve compared and identified some of the best shopping credit cards available in The Philippines.
What are shopping credit cards?
Shopping credit cards are designed to reward frequent shoppers and often comes with a wide range of additional perks. Rewards are usually in the form of cashback, additional miles or reward points.
Here are some different types of shopping credit cards:
- General shopping cards. Generic shopping cards offer rewards for a transactions in wider range of shopping categories. For example, you can earn up to cashback for all apparel, electronic gadgets, household appliances, beauty products and more.
- Online shopping cards. As online purchases become more common, having a go-to credit card for your online shopping will come in handy. These cards caters to e-commerce spending and offer rewards when you charge your online purchases to them.
- Retail-branded cards. Enjoy exclusive benefits and loyalty programmes when you shop with a particular brand or its affiliated merchants. For example, you could earn a higher rate of points per dollar spent at an associated store, or enjoy complimentary shipping, exclusive sales and long interest-free offers.
What benefits can I get with a shopping credit card?
Shopping credit cards usually offer a range of perks you can enjoy when you shop at participating merchants, or elsewhere.
These features vary between cards but often include:
- Reward points. Most shopping cards in The Philippines offer points per dollar spent on eligible purchases. You’ll typically earn the highest amount of points for spending at selected stores and a lower amount for spending everywhere else.
- VIP offers. Access to exclusive events, offers and sales.
- Shopping discounts. Save on your shopping when you pay for purchases at partner merchant stores.
- Free delivery. Take advantage of complimentary or discounted delivery options for online purchases.
- Flexible payment plans. Shopping credit cards cards may also offer you different payment options for purchases you make with the linked brand
- Other benefits. Depending on the card, you may also enjoy additional perks such as complimentary travel insurance, purchase insurance and airport lounge access.
What to consider when comparing shopping credit cards
Besides comparing the benefits offered by various cards, make sure you consider these features to find one that suits your needs:
- Annual fee. Most shopping credit cards in the Philippines have an annual fee, which could be as low as PHP86 or as high as PHP321 depending on the card you’re applying for.
- Interest rates. Shopping credit card interest rates are typically around 25% to 28% p.a. for purchases but could be higher for cash advances.
- Payment plan rates and fees. If your shopping credit card offers instalment payment plans for in-store purchases, make sure you check if it comes with any processing or miscellaneous fees. An interest rate may also apply if you’re unable to settle the balance before the end of the payment plan period.
- Balance transfer. If you have existing card debt you’d like to transfer to a new shopping credit card, you may be able to get a promotional 0% interest rate if you request the transfer at the time of your application. Make sure to check what’s the standard rate that’ll apply to the debt if you don’t pay it off during the introductory period.
Shopping credit cards can help you get more benefits when you shop regularly, especially at participating merchants. Before applying, make sure to look at all the features and fees of the card, then compare a range of options to find one that suits your needs.