Petco Pay Credit Card review
Even with an 8% reward rate at Petco, this card lacks punch.
- Get this card if you frequently spend at Petco and want to redeem those rewards on more Petco purchases.
- Pick something else if you want more flexible rewards options.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Store and Mastercard versions: 8% on Petco purchases (3% on top of the 5% Petco Pals rewards). Mastercard version: Also get 2% on groceries and 1% on other purchases
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||20% off your first purchase at Petco when you open and use your Petco Pay Credit Card at the time of account opening|
|Rewards||Store and Mastercard versions: 8% on Petco purchases (3% on top of the 5% Petco Pals rewards). Mastercard version: Also get 2% on groceries and 1% on other purchases|
|Purchase APR||26.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Comenity Petco Pay Credit Card is a rewards card available to Petco Pals Rewards members. Depending on your credit score, you can get approved for the base Petco Pay Credit Card or the superior Petco Pay Mastercard. The base card requires no annual fee and gives you 20% off your first purchase when you open and use your card at the time of account opening. It also offers special financing options on qualifying Petco purchases, the option to personalize your card and earns an additional 3% back in Pals Rewards at Petco, for 8% total, and an APR of 26.49% variable. The Mastercard version earns 2% back in Pals Rewards on grocery store purchases, 1% back on all other purchases and an additional $25 in Pals Rewards when you spend $500 in your first 90 days of account opening.
Unfortunately, while the card’s earning rate sounds great, the devil is in the details. Pals Rewards members earn 5% back at Petco in points per dollar spent baseline, even without the Petco Pay card. Since Petco will issue 5 reward dollars for every 100 points earned, this comes out to a value of about 1 point per dollar spent at Petco. The Petco Pay card will earn an additional 3% back to that base earning rate, which is only an increase to about 1.6 points per dollar spent. This is poor considering there are plenty of cashback cards on the market that earn 1.5% or even 2% back on all purchases. The extra earnings afforded by the Mastercard version of the card are negligible, amounting to 0.4 points per dollar on grocery store purchases and 0.2 points on everything else.
Combined with other limitations — like a welcome offer that’s only usable on the same day you apply and open your account and needing to provide your members account number at the time of purchase to actually earn this card’s increased point earnings — and you have a store credit card that doesn’t offer enough punch over other general rewards cards.
How to apply for the Petco Pay Credit Card
There is just one application for both the Petco Pay Credit Card and the Petco Pay Mastercard Credit Card. Which card you qualify for depends on your credit score. You can apply by doing the following.
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Locate the top menu bar and select Rewards.
- Select Apply now under Petco pay.
- Sign in or create your new account to continue with your application.
Petco Pay Credit Card benefits
- Earn Petco Pals points. You’ll earn 3% back in points on your Petco purchases, for 8% back in total when combined with your base Petco Pals rate. The Mastercard version of the card also earns 2% back in points on grocery purchases and 1% back on everything else. The base 8% rate is equal to about 1.6 points per dollar spent.
- Welcome offer. You’ll receive 20% off your first purchase when you qualify for and use your card on the same day. If you qualify for a Mastercard version of the card, you can also earn $25 in Pals Rewards when you spend $500 within your first 90 days of account opening outside of Petco.
- Special financing offers. You may occasionally qualify for deferred-interest financing plans on eligible purchases. These purchases don’t earn Pals points.
- Charitable donations. Petco will donate 25 cents to the Petco Foundation for each purchase you make using your Petco Pay Credit Card.
Petco Pay Credit Card drawbacks
- Poor reward value. This card doesn’t bring in much reward value compared to other store or reward cards, even for Petco purchases and redemptions.
- Inflexible signup bonus. The base version of the card requires you to make a purchase the same day your account is approved.
- Rewards expire. Any earned reward dollars will expire after 365 days of when they were issued.
Compare store cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other store cards on the market. Consider which stores you shop most at and the annual fee, APR and rewards rate that the store card offers.
Petco Pay Credit Card customer reviews and complaints
Comenity, the issuer of the Petco Pay Credit Card, is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has an B rating from the organization as of November 2021. Many customer complaints on the site are over billing and collection issues.
Comenity hasn’t claimed a Trustpilot profile, though the bank sports a 1.5 out of 5 customer rating on the site anyway. Customers complain of hidden fees and charges.
Without an impressive earning rate or useful perks to offer, the Petco Pay Credit Card doesn’t have much to offer even a diehard Petco shopper. You’ll be better off picking up a stronger cashback card such as the Citi® Double Cash Card, Chase Freedom Unlimited® or the new Wells Fargo Active Cash℠ Credit Card.