Build credit with the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card
You don’t need a credit history to apply.
finder.com’s rating: 2.9 / 5
- Get this card if you want something without any fees.
- Pick something else if you want a card that’ll help repair your credit score.
- Apply if you have no credit history, or if you have an existing fair to good credit score of 600 or higher.
Up to 10%
12.99% to 26.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
New to credit
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card|
|Purchase APR||12.99% to 26.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Cash advance fee description||N/A|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 21 days|
|Rates & fees||rates & fees|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
Petal has launched a brand-new card today as well as refreshed their existing offering. The Petal Visa Credit Card is now known as the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card. Not much has changed in terms of its features: The Petal 2 still carries no fees and offers 1% to 10% cash back on purchases. It still offers a credit limit of $500 to $10,000.
The card’s main attractions remain the same — the card has no fees whatsoever and you don’t need a credit score to apply. This is a terrific feature for a card meant to help you build credit. If Petal needs more information for your application, it’ll deploy proprietary algorithms to evaluate your ability to repay your debt.
The Petal 2 is still a great tool for people wanting to build credit and eventually graduate to a card with more lucrative rewards. With its alternative fee structure, Petal remains one of our favorite picks for newbies just getting started in the credit card game.
How to apply for the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card
Applying for the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is simple:
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the requisite information on each form to complete your application.
- If preapproved, Petal will alert you and invite you to fill out the full application
Credit pulls during the approval process.
Petal will perform a soft pull during the preapproval process and a hard pull during the full approval process. Note the difference between a soft and hard pull.
How the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card works
Petal refreshed their consumer-friendly, zero-fee credit card. The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is now Petal’s traditional “cash back” offering, earning 1% cash back on all purchases. To reward responsible spending, that cashback value will be bumped to 1.5% after 12 on-time monthly payments. The Petal 2 also earns up to 10% back at select retailers, including Gap, Old Navy, Casper and more.
This makes the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card a unicorn of sorts in the credit card market — a cashback rewards card with no fees and no penalties whatsoever.
New 10% cashback benefit
As of December 2019, the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card offers up to 10% cash back at some merchants, including but not limited to:
- Banana Republic.
- Old Navy.
- Home Improvement.
Petal says you don’t have to activate these cashback offers; they’re already linked to your card.
Who is the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card for?
The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is for anyone who wants simple cash back and no fees. It’s an especially good choice for those who want access to great credit but are considered ineligible for cards by most credit companies. According to Petal’s site, nearly 45 million people in the US are “credit invisible” and unscoreable — with nearly 62 million considered thin-file and on the margin.
These people have a chance to find approval for the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card because their full digital financial records are reviewed rather than just their credit score.
Is “no fees” for real?
Yes. Petal really means it: You won’t pay annual fees, foreign transaction fees, overlimit fees or even late fees when you use this card.
Who’s eligible for the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card?
Anyone can apply for the credit card, even if you have no prior credit history. That’s unusual for an unsecured credit card that doesn’t charge fees. That said, the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is not for rebuilding poor credit. A history of bad credit or a poor financial history will likely disqualify you from obtaining the card.
You’re more likely to get approval with a fair to good credit score. Your credit history can also factor into your credit limit, along with the rest of your financial history.
If you want to rebuild poor credit, the Petal 1 "No Annual Fee" Visa® Credit Card would serve you better instead.
Why choose the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card over a secured card?
The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card is an excellent alternative to a secured card if you have no prior credit history because you won’t need to foot the security deposit required of most secured cards.
Many secured cards can also start you with a credit limit as low as $200. The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card starts at a $500 minimum limit if you’re approved, and a maximum of $10,000.
The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card also offers cash back on purchases. Not many secured cards offer rewards.
Is there a catch?
There isn’t a “catch,” per se. But because the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card doesn’t collect fees, it tries to serve only customers who can responsibly pay their card bills.
Note that you might be required to sync your bank account through a secure third-party when you apply. Petal will have read-only access, allowing them to analyze your digital finances by looking at your income, savings and spending if necessary during the pre-qualification process.
By linking your account, you may be able to find approval in circumstances that you would otherwise result in denial other credit cards. Its intuitive mobile app also allows Petal to help you monitor your spending practices.
Petal doesn’t appear to pad its bottom line through sneaky tactics — for example, it doesn’t spike your APR for late or missed payments. According to Petal’s CEO, the company makes money purely through merchant transaction fees and from consumer interest payments.
- No fees. There’s no annual, foreign transaction, overlimit or even late fees.
- No credit history required. If you have no credit score or limited credit history, your income and financial records, including your checking accounts and bill payments, may be analyzed to determine your eligibility. You can still apply if you already have a good credit history and you want to take advantage of the card’s generous fee structure.
- Potentially high credit limit. Petal offers credit limits between $500 and $10,000. This range is higher than average compared to similar cards. However, your limit is ultimately based on your ability to pay.
- Cash back rewards. You’ll earn 1% cash back on all eligible purchases. Petal will increase this cash back rate to 1.5% after you make 12 on-time monthly payments. You’ll also earn up to 10% cash back at select merchants.
You’ll also like…
- Money-management tools. Download Petal’s associated mobile app to track your spending and upcoming payments. Streamlined information and data through the app gives you a high level view of your finances and spending. You can track all your accounts connected to Petal, as well as schedule payments.
- Set your own spending. Petal lets you set your own spending plan to track over a given time period.
What to watch out for
- No signup bonus.
Unlike many of its competitors that offer signup bonuses or introductory cards, Petal has no such offer.
Compare Petal credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
You must be at least 18 years old or 19 years old in AL and NE and a US resident with a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income, source of income and employment information
- Social Security number and date of birth
What credit score do I need?
You don’t need a credit history to apply for the Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card. However, Petal will first check for pre-qualification based on your credit score, so if you have credit history you’ll have a better chance of approval with a fair to a good credit score of 600 or higher.
If you don’t have a credit history, Petal may allow you to link your financial accounts, including your bank information, to prove sufficient income and a responsible history of paying your bills.
I got the card. Now what?
- Spend responsibly and pay off your balance in full at the end of each month.
- Use the accompanying Petal app regularly to see the state of your finances and spending habits and to develop better financial awareness.
- Set up autopay in your Petal account to ensure you never miss any payments.
The Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa® Credit Card has no associated fees and can help you learn to use credit responsibly. And the addition of a cashback structure makes this card an even more appealing option than before. It’s a good choice if you don’t have a credit score but feel like you’re a responsible borrower.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.