Protecting your health, property and your family’s future can mean the difference between money trouble and financial security. Finding the right policy depends on your income, family and needs.
What is personal insurance?
Personal insurance is any insurance that protects you from having to pay out of pocket for accidents, illness or damage to your property. To get insurance, you agree to pay a monthly or annual premium in return for a payout when you need it.
Types of personal insurance
Personal insurance can provide protection and peace of mind for you and your family. You can buy multiple policies separately or save money by bundling a policy with one insurer. Which types of insurance you need depends on your income, dependents and lifestyle.
Car insurance is important when you’re on the road, no matter who’s to blame for an accident. It covers damage to your car in an accident in exchange for regular payments. Basic coverage includes:
- Bodily injury that covers the cost of another person’s injuries from an accident you cause.
- Property damage that covers damage you cause to someone else’s property in an accident.
- Personal injury covers medical services after an accident, regardless of fault.
- Uninsured motorist covers costs caused by a driver if their insurance can’t pay enough.
Home and renters insurance
Home, content and personal valuables insurance can be tailored to meet your specific requirements. No matter if you own the home yourself or if you are renting from a landlord, you will find this type of insurance policy can be structured to fit in with your particular needs. Home and renters insurance can:
- Provide a payout for your valuables in the case of a break in or damage.
- Protects you if someone is injured on your property.
- Pay for damage caused by a storm or other accident.
The most basic type of life insurance pays a lump sum benefit to your beneficiaries when you die. That money can be used to:
- Pay for funeral costs.
- Pay off your mortgage and any other debts.
- Cover the loss of your income and help with day-to-day expenses.
- Pay for your children’s education.
- Cover any other extra expenses your family might have
Travel insurance is great for vacations, business trips, or anytime you plan on traveling away from home. Travel insurance can protect you if you need to:
- Cancel your trip unexpectedly.
- Receive urgent medical care.
- Replace items if you lost your luggage on the flight.
Disability insurance, also known as income protection insurance, pays a percentage of your income if you’re temporarily or permanently disabled and can’t work.
Disability insurance can:
- Help you pay for nursing care and physical therapy not covered by your health insurance.
- Cover some or all of the cost of renovating your home to fit your current needs and lifestyle.
- Pay for day-to-day expenses if you’re unable to work.
If you own a property to rent out, then landlord protection insurance is a valuable tool to have in your insurance portfolio. Landlord protection insurance can insure you against:
- Financial loss if your tenant misses rent, steals or damages your property.
- Legal liability claims made by anybody on the property who suffers an injury.
Health insurance helps pay your medical bills, including preventative visits, vaccinations, therapy, prescriptions, surgery and more. You can also get coverage for dental and vision visits.
- Helps pay for medical bills and healthcare costs including doctor visits and prescriptions
- Dental insurance can help pay for twice annual cleanings, crowns, orthodontia and more
- Vision insurance can help cover annual exams, glasses, contacts, prescriptions and more
- Costsharing means you’ll pay a deductible, coinsurance, copay, out of pocket maximum or other costs as part of your part of the bill
Getting insurance to cover your risks can protect you from a financial hardship if the unexpected happens. Consider your lifestyle, risks and income to determine which insurance is right for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Black unemployment rates by state
Finder analyzes which states have the highest and lowest rates of employment for Black and African Americans.
Holiday Safety Tips 2020
Keep your holiday safe and snug from hanging lights to staying safe on the roads.
Thanksgiving safety stats
Each year, Thanksgiving Day sees twice as many house fires as usual — mostly caused by this one source. Find out how to protect yourself.
Compare tuition insurance
If your child gets sick or injured and has to take time away from college, tuition insurance can reimburse you for what you already paid.
Birth rates by state
Are birth and fertility talk the elephant in the womb? Finder research looks at birth rates, fertility rates and the average age of mothers in America.
Horror stories you could actually insure against
13 best horror stories where insurance could have saved the day.
Build your financial safety net: Expert advice
A small panel of 5 experts provides their advice on building a financial safety net, when to start and what to consider.
Does insurance cover fireworks damage?
Light up the sky knowing when you’re covered by insurance.
How insurance claim fraud affects policyholders
False or padded claims hurt both insurance companies and policyholders. Learn how to stay above-board.
Compare jet ski insurance
Cruise with confidence knowing you could pay for any damage that happens while riding your jet ski.
Ask an Expert