Its arsenal of developer tools is impressive, but startups may be overwhelmed by the options.Stripe offers online and in-person payment processing with a sprawling suite of developer tools — but if your customers prefer to pay by PayPal, you may need to go elsewhere.
- Choose this provider if you run an online business and have the technical know-how to take advantage of Stripe’s developer tools.
- Consider something else if you complete most sales in person and want an all-in-one point-of-sale (POS) solution.
|Solutions||In-store, Mobile, E-commerce|
|Products||Payment processing, POS software, POS hardware|
|Monthly fees start at||None|
|Processing fees start at||2.7% + $0.05 per transaction|
|Processing time||2 business days|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||No|
What's in this review?
- Stripe services
- Stripe pricing and fees
- What is Stripe Capital?
- How do I open an account with Stripe?
- Pros and cons
- Compare Stripe to other top payment processors
- What other products will I need?
- What is Stripe?
- Stripe reviews and complaints
- How do I contact Stripe support?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Stripe’s services include payment processing and extensive developer tools:
- Payment processing. Accept payments from customers in-person, online or via a mobile device.
- Merchant account. Access an aggregated merchant account through Stripe’s third-party processing model.
- Developer APIs. From API client libraries to Android and iOS SDKs, Stripe has comprehensive developer features for integrations built from the ground up.
- Point-of-sale (POS) hardware. StripeTerminal offers a choice between two pre-certified Stripe card readers with the freedom to build your own POS software solution.
Stripe offers an impressive range of processing features:
- Payment options. Stripe supported payment methods include ACH credit and debit transfers, Alipay, WeChat Pay, digital wallet payments and all major credit and debit cards.
- 135 currencies supported. Display prices and process transactions in over 135 currencies.
- Mobile payments. Whether you prefer to process through a mobile website or use an iOS or Android app, Stripe’s mobile SDKs help you get up and running with only a few lines of code.
- Stripe Radar. Stripe Radar algorithms help you identify and prevent fraud using Dynamic 3D Secure technology.
- Dispute handling. Stripe’s dispute handling directly integrates with Visa Claims Resolution and MasterCom and submits evidence most likely to help your business win based on the type of dispute and associated network rules.
- Reporting tools. Use Stripe’s built-in reporting or create your own reports, from monthly reports to transaction-level balance breakdowns.
- Stripe dashboard. Review transaction data, customers, plans and balances alongside real-time reporting and analytics, fraudulent charges and refunds.
- Third-party integrations. Stripe is able to integrate with multiple third-party integrations including InstaPayments, WP EasyCart, WP Forms and WooCommerce.
- Stripe Capital. Stripe merchants can access cash advances and Stripe Connect merchants can offer business financing to eligible customers.
What hardware is available?
Stripe Terminal supports two POS hardware terminals:
|Verifone P400||BBPOS Chipper 2X BT|
|Type of system||Card reader||Mobile POS, card reader|
|Connectivity||Ethernet||Bluetooth 4.0, Micro USB|
|Screen||3.5″ HVGA color touchscreen||No Screen|
|Accepted payments||Magstripe, chip, tap-and-go||Magstripe, chip, tap-and-go|
Stripe pricing and fees
Stripe’s transparent pricing model helps you understand exactly what you’ll pay for each of its services:
- Processing fees. 2.7% + $0.05
- Credit and debit card fees. 2.9% + $0.30
- International cards. +1%
- Currency conversion. +1%
- ACH credit. $1.00
- ACH direct debit. 0.8% + $5.00
- Wire transfers. $8.00
- Checks. $5.00
Stripe offers customized accounts for businesses and enterprises processing over $100,000 monthly. Processing rates and fees for a customized account vary.
Stripe processing services
- Instant payouts. Pay an additional 1% on top of your processing fees for instant access to your funds.
- Billing. Receive automatic invoice reconciliation, built-in payments and recurring billing options at 0.5% to 0.8% on recurring charges after your first $1 million in recurring revenue.
- Connect. If you want to customize the user experience with monetized payments, funds routing and payout timing control, you’ll pay $2 per active account monthly plus 0.25% of payout volume and $0.25 per payout.
- Tax reporting. Reporting for Custom or Express Stripe accounts starts at $2.99 for e-filing and $4.99 per collected W-9 form.
- Radar. Radar fraud protection ranges in price from $0.02 to $0.07 per transaction, depending on your Stripe account and security needs.
- Chargeback protection. Have Stripe cover the disputed amount plus any dispute fees for a flat rate of 0.4% per transaction.
- Sigma. Tap into business data and insights starting at $0.02 per transaction.
- Atlas. For a one-time fee of $500, access Stripe’s startup launching platform to build your company from the ground up.
- Premium support. If you require a dedicated support manager, prioritized responses and personalized optimizations, Stripe’s premium support starts at $1,800 monthly.
What is Stripe Capital?
Stripe Capital is an online lending program underwritten and facilitated by Stripe. The service is two-fold: cash advances are available to both Stripe merchants and customers of merchants using Stripe Connect — Stripe’s set of programmable ADIs for platforms and marketplaces.
Stripe Capital for Stripe merchants
Stripe Capital for merchants is exactly what it sounds like: business capital for merchants using Stripe to process payments. The rep we spoke to wouldn’t disclose the maximum loan amount, but on its website, it cites amounts of up to $25,000 as examples of the Stripe Capital process. The entire application and funding process take place through your Stripe account.
Eligibility for business funding is based on your payment history and processing volume with Stripe — your credit score doesn’t factor in and won’t be affected should you opt for funding.
If approved, funds are available within one business day. The loan is expected to be repaid within nine to 10 months and repayment process is an automated fixed percentage of your daily sales — typically between 5% to 12%. While no interest is charged, you will pay a flat 10% premium on whatever you borrow.
Stripe Capital for platforms
Stripe Capital for platforms is a lending program that allows platforms and marketplaces that use Stripe Connect to offer business financing to qualifying members of their customer base.
Stripe Capital is responsible for the entirety of the lending process, from underwriting the loan to the disbursement of funds. Platforms that offer Stripe Capital funding receive a revenue share on all loans without having to assume any liability of credit losses.
How do I open an account with Stripe?
To create an online Stripe account, you’ll need to go to Stripe’s website and choose Start Now. Enter your email address, full name and select a password.
Once you have an account, indicate whether you’d like to use Stripe’s API or integrate with an existing app to start accepting payments within minutes.
If you require a customized account, get in touch with Stripe’s sales team to begin the application process.
Pros and cons
Weigh out both sides to decide if Stripe might work best for you.
- Transparent pricing. Stripe is up front about all processing rates and fees — an impressive choice that differentiates it from competitors.
- 24/7 customer support. Chat, email and phone support is available 24 hours a day.
- Payout management. Select weekly or monthly payouts or opt into Stripe’s instant payouts feature for immediate access to your funds.
- Software integration. Stripe’s processing platform integrates with an extensive range of accounting, e-commerce, inventory and shopping cart software.
- No POS software. While Swipe offers POS hardware options, these terminals aren’t accompanied by any POS software — you’ll need to build your POS software using Stripe’s APIs and SDKs.
- No PayPal. Stripe allows you to accept a myriad of payment methods but doesn’t support payments by PayPal.
Compare Stripe to other top payment processors
What other products will I need?
With Stripe, you have most of what you need to process payments. But it lacks an important piece of the processing puzzle:
- Checking account. You’ll need to link to an external business checking account for transaction funds to be deposited.
What is Stripe?
Stripe offers payment processing solutions to companies in over 120 countries, from enterprise titans like Amazon and Microsoft to sharing economy powerhouses like Lyft and Postmates.
Stripe was launched in 2011 and is headquartered in San Francisco. It has over 2,000 employees with offices in Dublin, London, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo and more.
Stripe reviews and complaints
As of January 2021, Stripe is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and receives an A+ BBB rating. On Trustpilot, it maintains an overall TrustScore of 3.5 out of 5 based on 4,964 reviews.
Reviews of this processing platform are mixed. Positive feedback praises Stripe’s customer support team and smooth onboarding experience. Negative reviews mention processing delays, chargebacks and transaction holds — a common complaint for third-party processors like Stripe.
How do I contact Stripe support?
Stripe customer support can be reached by:
- Phone. Stripe doesn’t offer call-in customer service. From Stripe’s contact page, you can request a call 24 hours a day from the customer support team. A Stripe team member should be in touch within three to five minutes.
- Email. General inquiries can be forwarded to email@example.com for a response within one business day.
- Live chat. Stripe’s live chat is available 24/7.
As one of the bigger players in the payment processing industry, Stripe’s platform has much to offer. It’s transparent about rates and fees, offers a variety of services and features and integrates with a number of popular e-commerce platforms. But without a dedicated tech support team, you may not be able to put its sophisticated developer tools to use.
Browse your payment processing options with other providers for the solution that best fits your business.