Paypal Here review
A lightweight POS alternative for merchants who need simple, on-the-go processing.
PayPal’s mobile processing app, Paypal Here is available for download on both Android and iOS. While its simple setup comes with a handful of hardware options and standard point-of-sale (POS) features, its offerings may fall short in supporting larger businesses.
- Choose this provider if you’re a small business in need of a mobile POS.
- Consider something else if you’re a medium to large business seeking interchange-plus or subscription pricing.
- Current offer: Sign up for Paypal Here and receive a free card reader until June 30, 2020.
|Products||Payment processing, POS software, POS hardware, Inventory tracking|
|Monthly fees start at||None|
|Processing fees start at||2.7% per transaction|
|Processing time||Same day with a linked PayPal Business Debit Mastercard|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||Yes|
What's in this review?
- PayPal Here services
- PayPal Here pricing and fees
- Pros and cons
- Customer reviews and complaints
- How do I open an account with PayPal Here?
- What other products will I need?
- What is PayPal Here?
- How do I contact PayPal Here support?
- Compare other payment processors
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
PayPal Here services
While far from robust, Paypal Here’s simple suite of services has most of what you need to get your business up and running:
- Payment processing. Accept credit cards, debit cards and mobile payments, including Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
- POS app. Download Paypal Here, compatible with both Android and iOS devices, to process payments and transfer funds to your bank account.
- POS hardware. Complete your POS setup with proprietary PayPal card readers and accessories.
The Paypal Here mobile app offers a number of POS software standards, including:
- Invoices. Create invoices using PayPal templates and get paid directly for an additional fee of 2.9% + $0.30 for each invoice.
- Record transactions. Keep track of check and cash payments within the app to stay on top of your sales figures.
- Inventory. Add, edit and delete inventory items straight from your mobile device.
- Roles and permissions. Customize access if you plan to have multiple employees handle payments.
- Tax calculation. Helps follow local tax rates based on your GPS location.
- Tips. Simplify the tipping process by suggesting tip amounts for service-based transactions.
- Discounts. Create and manage product discounts.
- Reporting. Track sales by product and employee.
What hardware is available?
Paypal Here offers a lineup of four proprietary card readers alongside a number of partner accessories:
- Chip and swipe reader
- Chip and tap reader
- Chip card reader
- Mobile card reader
- Point-of-sale stands
- Receipt printers
- Card reader stands and cases
- Cash drawers
PayPal Here pricing and fees
Paypal Here isn’t shy about its rates and fees. You’ll find all of its pricing information right on its website. PayPal uses flat-rate pricing — a profitable pricing model for micro merchants and small businesses, but less advantageous for bigger businesses with processing volumes over $10,000 monthly.
Here are the rates and fees PayPal charges:
- Swiped cards. 2.7%
- Keyed-in cards. 3.5% + $0.15
- PayPal transaction. 2.7% to 2.9% + $0.30
- Invoicing. 2.9% + $0.30
- Cross-border fee. 1.5%
- Currency conversion fee. 2.5%
- Charity processing rate. 2.2% + $0.30.
- Chargebacks. $20
Pros and cons
- Easy to sign up. You can complete the application process from a mobile device and have hardware shipped to your doorstep.
- Well reviewed. Even after over 45,000 reviews, Paypal Here maintains an impressive 4.6 out of 5-star rating.
- Transparent pricing. PayPal openly discloses its rates and processing fees on its website.
- Limited features. While designed as a mobile processing solution, Paypal Here lacks a few key processing features, including customer relationship management and marketing support.
- Transaction holds. Because PayPal is a third-party processor with no dedicated merchant accounts, you’re more likely to encounter transaction and account holds — especially if you run a business in a high-risk industry.
Customer reviews and complaints
Overall, Paypal Here is well-received. While it doesn’t have a dedicated page on the Better Business Bureau or Trustpilot, reviews on Google Play and the Apple App store are overwhelmingly positive. Paypal Here is rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on both platforms based on the combined feedback of over 45,000 users.
Customers rave about Paypal Here’s easy-to-navigate software and speedy processing but complain of transaction holds and software login errors.
How do I open an account with PayPal Here?
Before you sign up with Paypal Here, make sure you have a PayPal account:
- Download the Paypal Here app from Google Play or the Apple App store.
- Log in to your PayPal account or sign up for an account if you don’t have one. If you have a personal account, you can either switch it to a business account or sign up for a new business account.
- Set up your business profile by providing information about your company.
- Customize what information will be displayed on receipts.
- Pair your card reader with your mobile device using the Bluetooth settings on your device.
Once your device is paired, you’re ready to start accepting payments. When you want to accept a payment, open the app. Once the card reader is synced, it’ll automatically connect when the app is open.
What other products will I need?
With Paypal Here, you have most of what you need to begin accepting payments, but you’ll also need:
- Checking account. You’ll need a business checking account to access funds from your PayPal account.
What is PayPal Here?
Paypal Here is the mobile processing solution of payments giant, PayPal — a digital payment platform founded in 1998 with over 277 million users across 200 global markets. PayPal supports over 100 currencies with flat-rate transparent processing, rapid access to funds and no monthly fees.
How do I contact PayPal Here support?
Touch base with Paypal Here support by:
- Phone. Call 855-787-4340 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., ET.
Compare other payment processors
Paypal Here is a mobile processing solution well-suited to small businesses that don’t require an extensive POS system. If all you need is a card reader and a way to take payments, Paypal Here could be a good fit. But if you’re in need of a full-featured system or operate in a high-risk industry, you’ll want to explore your options with alternatives to PayPal Here.