Payline Data review
Competitive rates and high-risk merchant support are among the perks but tech support is limited.Payline Data has a respectable service repertoire, spanning in-person point-of-sale (POS) solutions, virtual terminals and mobile processing, to name a few. But its niche industry support is where it truly shines, offering discounted charity and healthcare processing rates alongside high-risk merchant accounts like travel agencies, online casinos and businesses in the adult industry.
- Choose this provider if you run a nonprofit, work in the medical industry or operate in a high-risk field.
- Consider something else if your business is busiest on weekends and you prefer 24-hour tech support.
|Solutions||In-store, Mobile, E-commerce|
|Monthly fees start at||$10/month|
|Processing fees start at||0.2% + interchange + $0.10 per transaction|
|Processing time||Next day|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||Yes|
border-left: 5px solid #0271e1; color: #242a2f; margin: 1.5rem 0; padding: .5rem 0 1rem 1.5rem; }
What's in this guide?
Payline Data services
An account with this provider comes with a broad suite of services:
- Payment processing. Accept payments in-store or online with transparent interchange-plus rates.
- POS systems. Both software and hardware options are available with support for Ingenico, Clover and Bolt terminals.
- Payment gateway. Process credit, debit and electronic payments online and integrate with over 175 shopping cart plugins.
- Virtual terminal. Send PDF invoices and accept card-not-present payments.
- Mobile processing. Take payments on the go with Payline’s Android and iPhone compatible mobile card reader.
You’ll get plenty of the standards, including mobile payments, product ordering, loyalty programs and scheduling software. Payline also offers the following:
- Business loans. Compare small business loan options from over 75 US lenders through Payline’s online lending marketplace.
- Nonprofit rates. Run a registered 501(c)(3) charity? You could qualify for Payline’s discounted nonprofit rate alongside a hosted payments page.
- Healthcare payments. Payline supports healthcare industry payments with HIPAA-compliant devices, electronic health record integration support and exclusive healthcare processing rates.
- High-risk merchant support. Payline accepts an impressive range of nontraditional businesses, including travel agencies, online casinos and businesses in the adult industry.
- Fraud protection. Validate customer addresses, request CVV verification at checkout and access Verifi’s Cardholder Dispute Resolution Network to battle chargebacks.
What hardware is available?
Unlike competitors Square and Stripe, Payline doesn’t offer any proprietary hardware of its own. But it integrates with popular third-party hardware providers Ingenico, Clover, Pax, Verifone and Hypercom. And according to a rep at the company that we talked to, it can integrate with almost any hardware.
Payline Data pricing and fees
Payline processing is available to both brick-and-mortar and online merchants for a monthly service fee between $10 and $20. Rates vary by card and transaction type. Access to Payline’s virtual terminal is an additional $10 monthly.
Payline mentions discounted rates for nonprofits and businesses in the healthcare industry, but these rates aren’t available on its website. And when we called for more information, we weren’t able to get a rep on the line to confirm the rates.
- In-person swiped payments
- $10 monthly service fee
- 0.2% + interchange + $0.10 a transaction
- Card not present payments
- $20 monthly service fee
- 0.3% + interchange + $0.20 a transaction
- Virtual terminal.
- $10 monthly
Pros and cons
- Transparent pricing. It’s dedicated pricing page displays processing rates for most industries it serves — so you know how much you’ll pay when you sign up.
- Niche industry support. Payline offers unique programs and rates tailored for nonprofits, high-risk merchants and those in the medical field.
- No contracts. You’re free to leave Payline at any time with no contract or cancellation fees.
- App integrations. Payline’s POS software integrates with over 300 apps and plugins.
- Limited support. Unlike the 24-hour tech support offered by competitors Fattmerchant and Payment Depot, Payline Data’s support team is only available on weekdays.
- $25 monthly minimum. Payline charges a monthly minimum of $25, which is less than ideal for seasonal merchants with slow seasons.
Payline reviews and complaints
As of January 2021, between Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau (BBB), there aren’t many Payline Data reviews to draw on. While Payline is a BBB-accredited business with an A+ rating, it only has six complaints and one review. And no feedback has been posted to its Trustpilot page.
Among reviews left on third-party comparison sites Merchant Maverick and Capterra, Payline feedback is mixed. Customers speak well of its competitive rates and friendly support reps but criticize the limited support hours and PCI non-compliance fees.
How do I open an account with Payline Data?
To get started with Payline Data, head to its website:
- Click Apply Now.
- Enter your business information, including your business name, industry, address, tax ID, phone number and website.
- Enter your preferred payment acceptance methods, monthly credit card volume, average transaction amount and largest transaction amount.
- Enter your personal information, including your full name, email address, phone number, residential address, Social Security number and date of birth.
- Connect your bank account by entering the name of your bank, selecting your account type and entering your account and routing number.
- Click Submit.
What other products will I need?
During the Payline signup process, you’ll be asked to provide information for the following:
- Checking account. Have the account and routing number of your business checking account on hand before you apply.
What is Payline Data?
Payline Data was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. In 2017, it was acquired by Pineapple Payments, a payments technology company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Payline Data was named one of Inc. Magazine’s 500 Fastest Growing Companies in both 2016 and 2017.
How do I contact Payline Data support?
Reach Payline by:
- Phone. Call 888-609-2593 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
- Email. Fill out an online form on Payline’s website for an email response from the support team.
- Mail. Written inquiries can be mailed to 350 N Orleans Suite 9000, Chicago, IL 60654.
Compare other payment processors
Payline Data has a lot going for it. It has processing and POS options for both brick-and-mortar and e-commerce merchants with specialty accounts and rates for nonprofit, healthcare and nontraditional merchants. But its tech support is only available on weekdays and you’ll be asked to shell out a $25 monthly minimum — not good for those slow months.
On the fence about Payline? Review your payment processing options with other providers.
Frequently asked questions
Do I have to pay PCI-compliance fees?
You might — to avoid Payline Data’s PCI non-compliance fees, you need to complete and submit your PCI compliance validation certificate to Payline Data.
What software does Payline Data integrate with?
Payline boasts hundreds of software integrations, including:
Which high-risk industries does Payline Data support?
Payline accepts the following types of nontraditional businesses:
- Auto parts and accessories
- Collection agencies
- Credit repair agencies
- Diet and weight loss programs
- E-cigarettes and vaping
- Fantasy sports
- Financial services
- Firearms and ammunition
- Furniture sales
- Herbal supplements
- Online gaming and casinos
- Precious metals
- Self storage
- Travel agencies