It offers three distinct pricing models with no contracts, no PCI fees and 24/7 tech support.
CDGcommerce sets its merchant services apart with three pricing models designed to benefit a range of business types and sizes. Onboarded merchants aren’t locked into a contract and can customize their point-of-sale (POS) software with over 350 app integrations and plug-ins. But it’s not available to merchants outside the US.
- Choose this provider if you run a nonprofit or small- to medium-sized business based in the US.
- Consider something else if you’re a seasonal or micro-merchant processing under $10,000 monthly.
- Current offer: Schedule a call with one of CDG’s payment specialists and receive two months of processing for free.
|Solutions||In-store, Mobile, Online|
|Monthly fees start at||None|
|Processing fees start at||2.75% + $0.30 per transaction|
|High-risk merchants accepted?||Yes|
border-left: 5px solid #0271e1; color: #242a2f; margin: 1.5rem 0; padding: .5rem 0 1rem 1.5rem; }
What's in this guide?
This Chesapeake-based provider offers processing solutions fit for brick and mortar and e-commerce merchants alike:
- Payment processing. Whether you take payments in-store or online, CDG’s processing has you covered.
- Merchant accounts. CDGcommerce offers dedicated merchant accounts, which means fewer transaction holds compared to third-party payment aggregators.
- POS systems. PastePay, Vital and Echo POS systems are available with accompanying hardware.
- Payment gateway. Both Authorize.Net and Quantum are available for free on its interchange and subscription pricing plans.
- Mobile payments. Accept payments from your mobile device or tablet using CDG’s mobile app.
In addition to plenty of the standards, including inventory programs for retail, tip management for restaurants and appointment-setting for service-based businesses, you’ll get:
- Recurring billing. Offer your customers billing plans by the month, quarter or year to help automate the billing process.
- E-commerce support. Integrate with third-party shopping cart software and use CDGcommerce’s virtual terminal to take payments online.
- B2B payments. Take advantage of invoicing and rate discounts for processing Level-2 and Level-3 transactions.
- Chargeback protection. Battle fraud with its collection of protection services, including support from its dedicated chargeback team and fraud loss reimbursement plans.
What hardware is available?
CDG offers a Dejavoo Z11 touch-screen terminal to onboarded merchants for a $79 annual maintenance fee per device. Merchants can also purchase the terminal outright for $299.
CDG also partners with three POS providers: Echo, Vital and PastePay. Each system is accompanied by its own set of hardware and is subject to third-party fees.
CDGcommerce pricing and fees
CDGcommerce’s pricing model is rather unique. Instead of offering a single pricing model with rates that vary by business size or industry, it has three distinct pricing models, each with its own rates.
This allows CDGcommerce to offer competitive processing rates for small, medium and large businesses, as each pricing model is best suited to a particular processing volume. This is rare in the industry and makes CDGcommerce an economical choice for many businesses.
- For businesses processing between $1,000 and $10,000 monthly.
If you’re a micromerchant, processors like like Square and PayPal offer cheaper in-person rates.
That said, CDG’s flat-rate processing is definitely worth considering. There are no monthly fees and the service includes a customer management system, invoicing, loyalty programs, appointment scheduling, a virtual terminal, an e-commerce store and a credit card terminal.
- Swiped cards. 2.75% + $0.30
- Mobile transactions. 2.75% + $0.30
- Surcharge on keyed-in mobile transactions. 0.15%
- Online transaction. 2.90% + $0.30
- AmEx surcharge. 0.25%
- For business that process between $10,000 and $200,000 monthly.
All flat-rate processing features are included with the added benefit of a $100,000 breach protection plan and PCI security tools.
- Retail interchange-plus. 0.25% + $0.10
- Online interchange-plus. 0.30% + $0.15
- Nonprofit interchange-plus. 0.20% + $0.10
Wholesale membership pricing
- For businesses that process over $200,000 monthly.
It also offers four wholesale membership tiers designed for a variety of processing volumes.
- Basic membership
- Processing limit: $25,000
- Monthly subscription fee: $49
- Processing fees: Interchange + $0.10
- Standard membership
- Processing limit: $75,000
- Monthly subscription fee: $79
- Processing fees: Interchange + $0.10
- Plus membership
- Processing limit: $200,000
- Monthly subscription fee: $99
- Processing fees: Interchange + $0.07
- Premium membership
- Processing limit: Unlimited
- Monthly subscription fee: $199
- Processing fees: Interchange + $0.05
Pros and cons
- 24/7 support. Tech support is available by phone 24 hours a day.
- No contract required. You won’t be asked to sign a contract no matter which CDGcommerce pricing plan you choose, which means you can leave at any time and won’t face early termination fees.
- Transparent rates. All of CDGcommerce’s processing rates are clearly articulated on a dedicated pricing page on its website.
- No PCI fees. CDG is one of those rare providers that doesn’t charge any PCI compliance or noncompliance fees.
- Multiple pricing models. This processor offers more than simply an array of rates — it offers three unique pricing models: flat-rate, interchange-plus and wholesale membership.
- App integrations. CDGcommerce boasts an impressive integration repertoire of over 350 apps and plugins so you can customize your POS software as needed.
- Not available outside the US. CDGcommerce processing is only available to US merchants.
- Not for micromerchants. CDG’s flat-rate pricing for merchants processing less than $10,000 annually is more expensive than several of its competitors.
CDGcommerce reviews and complaints
As of January 2021, CDGcommerce reviews are mixed. It’s an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with an A+ rating but there are no BBB complaints or reviews to draw on. Its Chesapeake, Virginia headquarters receives a glowing 4.7 out of 5-stars from 31 Google reviews but feedback on third-party comparison sites like Merchant Maverick reflects a less satisfied customer base.
Customers report a smooth underwriting experience and friendly customer service reps but complain of transaction holds and batch settlement delays — a common complaint among merchant services providers but disappointing given CDGcommerce’s impressive service offerings.
How do I open an account with CDGcommerce?
It’s easy to get the ball rolling with CDGcommerce:
- Go to CDG’s website and click Sign up.
- Enter your full name, email address, phone number, residential address, date of birth and Social Security number.
- Enter your legal business name, business address, business phone number, industry and Employer Identification Number. Click Next.
- Tell CDG more about the owners of your business, including the number of business owners and what percentage of the company they own. Click Next.
- Tell CDG more about the products or services you sell, including how you prefer to take payments, whether you operate seasonally and whether you have a refund policy. Click Next.
- Select the pricing model you’d like to apply for and enter your monthly credit card revenue, average transaction size and largest transaction size. Click Next.
- Verify your identity by entering the ID number of your driver’s license, passport or state-issued ID.
- Next, verify your business by entering the ID number of your business license, entity articles or tax return.
- Enter the name and number of a business trade reference who can vouch for your business operations. Click Next.
You’ll receive an email that confirms your submitted merchant account application. CDGcommerce’s underwriting team will contact you for any additional required documentation.
What other products will I need?
With payment processing, merchant accounts and POS systems under its belt, the only thing you’re missing with CDGcommerce is:
- Checking account. Link a business checking account to your CDGcommerce merchant account to deposit transaction funds.
What is CDGcommerce?
CDGcommerce is a merchant services provider that was founded in 1998 and headquartered in Chesapeake, Virginia. It supports over 20,000 merchants across the US and processes $3.7 billion transactions annually.
CDG advertises a client retention rate of over 97% and differentiates itself from competitors with multiple pricing models and specialty services for nonprofits.
How do I contact CDGcommerce support?
Reach out to the CDG team by:
- Phone. Call 888-586-3346 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., EST.
- Email. Complete a secure online form on CDG’s website for an email response from the support team.
- Live chat. Chat with a CDG rep on its website on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., EST.
Compare other payment processors
CDGcommerce’s comprehensive suite of merchant services paired with its three distinct pricing models sets it apart from competitors. With no PCI fees, no contracts or early termination fees, 24-hour tech support and specialty rates for nonprofits, this provider gives us plenty to celebrate. The downside? It’s not available to merchants who operate outside the US, and its offerings may not be well-suited to seasonal or micromerchants.
Not sure CDGcommerce is right for your business? Explore what other merchant services providers have to offer.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to get approved for a CDGcommerce merchant account?
CDGcommerce suggests it takes one to three business days to process merchant account applications.
Do I have to purchase my hardware through CDGcommerce?
CDGcommerce doesn’t require you to purchase its hardware. Instead, you pay a $79 annual fee to rent your terminal.