Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare your loan options in Montpelier, Vermont
If you're in need of a short-term loan and you're a resident of Montpelier, consider your other options.
Being short on cash and having a less-than-perfect credit score can make being approved for a loan difficult. Short-term loans may seem like a good option, but lawmakers in Vermont have banned short-term lending in all its forms. If you need a little extra money, our guide will help you find alternative ways to get it.
Can I get a payday loan in Montpelier, Vermont?
Unfortunately, no. All providers of small loans in Montpelier have to abide by Vermont Statutes Annotated Title 9-41a. According to this law, consumer loans can’t have an APR of more than 18%. Because payday lenders typically charge much higher interest rates, you won’t be able to take out a short-term loan in Montpelier.
A list of installment loans you may want to consider
What are some other options besides installment loans?
A short term loan may be a bust, but there are other options out there. Some you may have tried, but all may be worth looking into.
- Negotiate with your creditors. It may not be the easiest method, but contacting your creditors and asking for a payment extension or a reduced monthly payment can be the difference between being able to afford your debt and drowning in it. Your creditors want to get paid, so see if you can make an arrangement that benefits both parties.
- Consider a credit card cash advance. If you have a credit card, you may be able to take out an advance on the remaining credit limit. This can be a costly option, but it will give you the money you need quickly and without much hassle. Most cards even allow you to withdraw from an ATM.
- Find some local social services. Look into public services for assistance with heating costs, food and housing. Vermont has programs like 3SquaresVT (food stamps), Seasonal Fuel Assistance and Reach Up Vermont that can help you when you’re struggling to meet the everyday cost of bills.
Where to get cash advances in Montpelier
Where to get a a cash advance in Montpelier, VT?
If you’re looking for cash advance locations in Montpelier, here are some options:
- People’s United Bank. 112 State St, Montpelier, VT 05601
- Vermont Community Loan Fund. 15 State St, Montpelier, VT 05602
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car loans in North Carolina
Capped rates and a variety of local lenders make it easy to shop for a loan.
Should you refinance your FHA to a conventional loan?
Is it time to refinance your FHA to a conventional loan?
Find A Loan review
A standard connection service that works with lenders that offer large loans.
What to do if your PPP loan is too small to help
The PPP wasn’t made with sole proprietors and independent contractors in mind. Here are other options that can help.
Opportunity Fund business loans review
A lender who primarily offers loans to underserved small business owners.
LendSurf connection service review
Good if you want information on state regulations — but not transparent about other details.
Wise Loan review
Wise Loan may be an expensive choice, but it’s upfront about its costs.
Texas Community Bank loans review
This South Texas lender offers business loan basics, and has almost no information available online.
Tower Loan review
Secured loans — but no information online about interest or other fees.
LoanStar title loans review
This lender is transparent about fees — but still a risky choice.
Ask an Expert