How to find fast funding, what to watch out for and alternatives.
- Easy online application
- Quick approval
- Fast funding
- Long repayment terms
OppLoans Installment Loans
Installment loans with competitive rates from a top-rated direct lender.
- Minimum loan amount: $500
- Maximum loan amount: $5,000
- Turnaround time: 1 business day
- Loan term: 9 to 36 months
- Must have direct deposit and meet minimum income requirements
Are payday loans available in my state?
Compare payday loans in your state
How do short-term loans work for single parents?
Short-term loans, also known as payday loans, are fast financing between $100 and $10,000 for a period of 14 days to 18 months. These are open to borrowers with all credit and income ranges — including single mothers or fathers with lots of personal expenses. You can can apply online or in-person and often get your funds the same or the next day.
Compare short-term loans
Here are some loan providers that you can apply to. Note that the max loan amount is based on the lender’s max amount and your state of residence. Check the websites of any providers you’re interested in to confirm they operate in your state of residence.
Compare short-term loan connection services
These lender matching services are not lenders, loan brokers or agents for any lender or loan broker. They also do not make credit decisions. They focus on trying to match you with a lender that might be able to provide you the funds you seek. Note that the max loan amount is based on the matching services max amount, but it will vary based on your state of residence. If you proceed with one of these services, confirm that the lender is reputable by checking with your local government.
How to find the right loan
If you’re in need of quick funds you may be tempted to apply for the first loan you see, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
- How much you can borrow. Lenders usually offer between $100 and $2,000, but if you’re a first-time borrower you may only be eligible for less. There are higher loan amounts available – up to $5,000 and $10,000.
- When you need to repay the loan. You will usually be offered loan terms to suit your pay frequency. For example, if you get paid biweekly your repayments will be set to be taken from your account every two weeks. Loan terms can extend up to one year.
- What the fees are. Fees will vary by state and lender.
- When you will receive the funds. You can usually receive your funds on the same day you are approved, although some lenders may transfer it to you the next business day.
Can I get a short-term loan with bad credit?
The majority of short-term lenders will consider you for a loan even if you have bad credit. Lenders may have other eligibility criteria you need to meet, such as receiving a regular income or having more than 50% of your income come from government assistance. As long as you meet the minimum criteria set by the lender (which you can find on finder.com review pages) you can apply.
How to apply for a short-term loan
Applying for a short-term loan is simple. You can start by comparing your options using the comparison table on this page. Once you’ve found a loan, click the “Go to site” button to be redirected through to the lender’s online application form.
You’ll need to provide a form of ID and details of your employment or financial situation.
The application won’t take long to complete and you should receive an instant response as to whether you have been approved. Once you’ve signed the loan contract, you will receive your loan amount within the time specified by the lender.
What to consider before applying for a payday loan
While short-term loans can seem like a good solution to take advantage of, there are a few drawbacks to be aware of.
- It’s expensive. Payday loans can come with APRs over 700%. In contrast, most personal loans stop at 36%.
- Risk getting caught in a cycle of debt. Many borrowers renew their loans at least once, which increases the cost of the loan and can be even more difficult to pay off.
- Predatory lenders. While there are legit payday lenders out there, some payday loan companies don’t offer loans meant to trick customers into paying more than they might have otherwise.
- Not available everywhere. Payday loans are illegal in many states, so they might not even be an option for you.
What other financing options do single parents have?
Payday and installment loans aren’t the only way you can get money quickly. You also might want to consider:
- Grants for single parents. Several organizations offer grants to help cover expenses from child care to food. The application might take some time but you won’t have to pay it back.
- Non-profit loans. Some nonprofit organizations like KivaFriends offer affordable loans for single parents as an alternative to short-term financing.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). The federal government’s TANF program gives single parents short-term cash advances to eligible applicants. You can apply through the US office of Family Assistance.
- Title loans. If you have a car, motorcycle or other vehicle, you can often get a same-day short-term loan with a slightly lower rate by using your vehicle’s title as collateral. You can still drive around but risk losing your car if you default.
- Payday alternative loans (PALs). Some federal credit unions offer payday loan alternatives from $200 to $1,000 with interest rates capped at 28% to members with all credit types. However, it’s not as fast as a payday loan.
- Credit card cash advance. Already have a credit card? Taking out a cash advance is typically less expensive and more forgiving than a short-term loan.
- Pay advance apps. Apps like Earnin give you interest-free advances on your paycheck, usually up to around $500 per month. Typically, you’ll only be requested to give a tip or pay a monthly membership fee.
Short-term loans like payday or installment loans might be your only option when you need money fast. But there are other alternatives that single parents might want to consider. You can get more details on how short-term loans work by checking out our guide.