Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare your loan options in Albany, New York
Payday loans are illegal in New York, but you do have other options.
When you don’t have the best credit, it can be hard to find a small loan that can help you deal with financial emergencies or gaps in your budget. This guide will give you alternative options for when you’re struggling to make ends meet.
What are the New York laws that affect Albany?
Because New York has banned payday lending under it’s usury and bank laws, residents of Albany aren’t able to take out a payday loan in-person, over the phone or online. If you’re in need of quick money for a bill or important purchase, there are other ways to get it.
Do I have other options if I have bad credit?
Short-term, auto title and personal loans might be a bust, but there are other options out there. Some you may have tried, but all may be worth looking into:
Although you can’t get a payday or auto title loan in Albany, there are other ways to get quick money even if you don’t have the most perfect credit.
- Borrow from people you know. You may be able to request an advance on your paycheck from your employer or borrow a little from friends and family.
- Contact community organizations. Non-profit financial cooperatives and local credit unions may have options for small loans as long as you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Talk to your creditors. Ask about arranging a payment plan or request more time between bills.
- Local social services. Look into public services for assistance with heating costs, food and housing. New York has programs like the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) and The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) to help you get by.
What about a credit card?
You could apply for a secured credit card or an unsecured card with easier approval. Although it won’t solve your short-term cash needs, it will give you a line of credit for making regular purchases every month.
Building positive credit history is one of the keys to unlocking future line of credit and loan opportunities. Consider a card like the Deserve® Classic Card that can help you make monthly purchases and reports to the credit bureaus to help you build credit history.
Compare short-term loan options in New York
Cash advances locations near you in Albany, NY
Cash advance store locations in Albany
- Cash In Advance. 71 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12206
- Regina Check Cashing & Financial Services. 911 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12206
- Regina Check Cashing Corporation. 24 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12210
Frequently asked questions
Image: Wikimedia Commons
More guides on Finder
Car loans in North Carolina
Capped rates and a variety of local lenders make it easy to shop for a loan.
Find A Loan review
A standard connection service that works with lenders that offer large loans.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
Accompany Capital business loans review
This New York City nonprofit offers loans from $500 to $50K with rates fixed at 3% — regardless of your credit score or time in business.
Car loans in Virginia
Three local lenders to explore before heading to the dealership.
First State Community Bank loans review
Agriculture loans, real estate financing and more from this Eastern Missouri lender.
Community Trust Bank loans review
This Kentucky-based local lender offers a variety of business loans and specializes in SBA lending.
Here’s how Equifax’s new Cashflow Insights could help you get approved for a loan
Equifax launched a new product that lets you volunteer your bank account information when you apply for a loan. Here’s how you could benefit.
QuickerCash short-term loans review
This connection service is transparent about rates — but asks for lots of personal information before you know where it’s going.
Majestic Lake Financial short-term loans review
You won’t be able to apply for a new loan unless you’re a returning customer.
Ask an Expert