Pawp pet insurance alternative review Dec 2020
Get $3K in emergency funds with no restrictions for your pet’s age, breed or previous conditions.
- Get a quote if you want an emergency savings fund for multiple pets.
- Pick something else if you want pet insurance to cover common, everyday pet illnesses and accidents.
Up to No age limits
Up to $3,000
|Average monthly cost||$19|
|Types of policy||Accident, Illness|
|Cancer coverage||For related emergencies|
|Dental coverage||Emergency and routine|
|Paid in ful||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Pawp is a solid option if you’re a pet parent who can’t afford insurance, but you’re also worried about covering emergency care costing thousands of dollars. You also can jump on Pawp’s vet helpline for any of your pet-related questions, saving you from a nonessential vet visit.
However, there are quite a few conditions to meet before you get payment. Since you can only use your funds for one emergency per year, you might wonder if building your own emergency fund is a better option in the long run. Pawp or other pet insurance companies could fill in your financial gaps in the short term.
What pet insurance coverage does Pawp offer?
Pawp covers your pet for conditions that need vet attention immediately. Examples of conditions that it covers:
- Difficulty breathing
- Eating an object or a toxic chemical or food
- Pre-existing conditions
- Severe injuries
- Other conditions approved by a Pawp vet
How does Pawp work?
Using Pawp involves a different process than you might be used to with traditional pet insurance. First, you’ll have a five-day waiting period after signing up before you can use your policy.
Then before going to the vet, follow these steps:
- Get a Pawp vet’s approval. Call the 24/7 helpline, and the vet will approve your pet’s emergency and activate your funds.
- Visit the vet within four hours. Once you have approval, your pet has to see a vet within four hours.
- Pay any vet. You can go to any vet. When you get the bill, give the receptionist this number to call for payment: 833-672-0026.
- Get up to $3,000 covered, no deductible required. Your Pawp emergency fund will cover one bill per year that totals up to $3,000, but you can’t use your emergency fund again until the next year. You won’t pay any deductibles or copays for that bill.
How much is Pawp pet insurance?
Pawp costs a flat $19 per month, no matter your dog’s age, breed, size or current health conditions.
Which discounts can I get?
While the company doesn’t give any discounts for its low-cost emergency fund, you can insure up to six cats or dogs in your house with one account.
Pros and cons of Pawp pet insurance
- 100% reimbursement up to $3K. Unlike most insurance plans, you won’t pay a deductible or copay at the vet’s office.
- 24/7 live chat. If you have a question big or small about your lovable pet’s health, you can chat with a vet online anytime.
- Covers pre-existing conditions. This plan includes emergencies related to your pet’s pre-existing conditions, a rare offering with pet insurance.
- Insures up to six pets. You won’t pay any extra to include all your cats or dogs on your plan.
- Funds only usable once a year. You can access your emergency fund one time each year, and then you’ll wait until the next year to use your fund again.
- You lose any funds you don’t use. If an emergency bill only costs $500, you lose the other $2,500 in your emergency fund.
- You have to get approval. You’re required to get a Pawp vet’s approval for any emergency, and then you have to go to the vet within four hours.
Pawp pet insurance reviews and complaints
You won’t find many customer reviews about Pawp on reputable sites like Trustpilot, as of November 2020.
However, review sites like ConsumerVoice and Acme Canine give Pawp props for creating an affordable product that steers people away from euthanizing their pet for financial reasons.
How do I sign up?
Applying for Pawp is a quick, straightforward process, leaving you and your pet insured with a few clicks of a button.
- From the homepage, click Get Covered.
- Enter your pet’s name and choose whether they’re a dog or cat, and click the arrow.
- Choose the reasons that you want pet insurance and tap Continue.
- View the overview of your coverage and, if you’d like, Continue to checkout.
- Enter your basic personal information and payment details. Click Start now to buy your policy.
What’s not covered?
Pawp probably won’t cover most common illnesses that don’t need immediate attention:
- Cosmetic or elective procedures
- Emergencies caused because you didn’t follow a Pawp vet’s advice
- Grooming and boarding
- Routine care like annual exams or vaccines
- Scheduled vet visits or surgeries
- Spaying or neutering
- Nonmedical supplies like pet food, supplements or training devices