Patch of Land review
This crowdfunding real estate investment platform can bring solid returns, though there’s concern over loan defaults.Patch of Land is a peer-to-peer real estate lending marketplace that matches accredited investors with operators who need funding to run the real estate project. It offers a solid mix of properties that span the country, but you have to be an accredited investor to qualify.
Minimum deposit to open
Average return (minimum)
Average return (maximum)
How does Patch of Land work?Patch of Land specializes in pre-vetted residential properties in need of rehab, though it also offers some commercial properties and small apartment buildings. It only invests in properties that meet its underwriting guidelines and show strong potential for return. The residential investments are for loans to fix and flip houses, while the commercial investments are mainly equity purchases to buy and hold.
Its online platform allows you to digitally sign the proper contracts and agreements so you can start investing immediately. It also gives timely updates on the project by working closely with the developer, including email or text updates, videos, plans and other assets.Patch of Land claims to offer high interest rates because borrowers dealing with short term loans are typically paying even higher interest. At either the loan’s maturity date or full repayment from the borrower, you will receive a balloon payment of the remaining principal and interest.
Who is Patch of Land best for?Patch of Land has a diverse mix of properties, potentially making it best for:
- Active investors. Patch of Land’s mix of residential and commercial properties allows investors to fully customize their portfolios.
- Newly accredited investors. The low minimum investment amount allows newcomers to build their portfolio without breaking the bank.
- Investors with a diverse portfolio. For investors with a heavy dose of commercial properties, Patch of Land’s large amount of residential properties allows you to diversify.
- Non-US residents. Patch of Land is one of just a few real estate investment platforms that are open to non-US residents, though there are limitations.
What are the benefits of Patch of Land?Patch of Land offers a variety of benefits that could make it a strong real estate investment platform:
- Transparent portfolio. Patch of Land vets and funds deals beforehand, allowing you to do research on which properties you would like to invest in and review a borrower’s past projects.
- Short-term investments. Patch of Land mainly does deals between 12 and 18 months, which are generally considered safer real estate investments.
- Strong returns. Patch of Land cites an average rate of return between 9% and 11%, though some properties have returned 12%.
- Low minimum investment. The minimum amount to invest in a property is $5,000, though this number can be reduced to $1,000 for certain properties.
- Prefunded deals. All deals are prefunded entirely by Patch of Land, which allows you to begin earning interest immediately after making your investment.
- Properties nationwide. Patch of Land’s large portfolio spans the nation, giving you plenty of choices of how and where to invest.
What to watch out for?Patch of Land has some drawbacks, especially on the high number of reported loan defaults.
- High fees. Fees average between 0% and 3%, which can cut into your return on investment.
- Loan defaults. Some users have experienced a higher-than-average foreclosure rate on their property investments.
- Accredited investors only. While some competitor sites are starting to open their investments to everyone, Patch of Land remains limited to accredited investors only.
Compare with other real estate investing platforms
Patch of Land reviews and complaintsPatch of Land has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2014 and has earned an A rating. Most of the reviews on the BBB’s website are negative, though they’re mainly related to Patch of Land’s lending services, rather than investing.
Other online reviews are mixed. Positive reviews focus on the company’s transparency when it comes to disclosing details of past projects and reasons for its current investment decisions. Negative reviews focus on poor customer service experiences and a higher-than-average number of loan defaults. Some people reported as high as a 15% to 30% foreclosure rate, though Patch of Land does not disclose the exact numbers of its loans.
How do I get started?
To get started, you’ll first need to be an accredited investor. Then:
- Visit the Patch of Land website and click Sign Up on the top menu
- Select Sign Up As An Investor in the pop-up menu
- Enter your contact information and click Submit
- After signing up, you can immediately browse and choose projects to invest in
- Pick a project and click I’m Ready to Invest
- Review and sign the investor agreement electronically
- Fund your investment via automatic bank draft or wire transfer
You’ll need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- At least 18 years of age
- Be an accredited investor
During your application, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Phone number
I’ve signed up with Patch of Land. Now what?
After signing up, you can dive right in:
- Select a property to invest in. Though Patch of Land has a large portfolio of properties, there might be a limited number of new ones to invest in.
- Do your research. Take advantage of Patch of Land’s information on its properties and look at the borrower’s past project history.
- Invest your money. Most of Patch of Land’s investments are for 12 months. After you select a property to invest in, you can monitor its progress and receive updates.
- Check the tax implications. Speak with a tax professional or read your state’s tax laws to fully understand how trading affects your taxes.
Patch of Land’s customer service
You can contact Patch of Land either by phone or email.
- Phone: 888-959-1465
- Borrowers and real estate professionals: email@example.com
- Investors and financial professionals: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical support: email@example.com
Bottom linePatch of Land has a mix of residential and commercial short-term investments. Its underwriting process is stringent and is demonstrated by its prefunded deals. Yet there are some concerns about some residential loans defaulting, and the platform is only open to accredited investors.
Before deciding on a real estate investment platform, be sure to compare your options.