It doesn't get much more romantic and relaxing than booking a vacay overlooking Thailand's azure blue waters. And with that in mind, we've curated our top five overwater bungalows in Thailand to fit a range of budgets and itineraries.
The FloatHouse River Kwai
The FloatHouse River Kwai boutique villas are thoughtfully designed for privacy, but also feature communal spaces for socializing. Here’s how an ideal trip could play out: Stay in the midst of a lush rainforest, fall asleep to gentle river sounds, wake up to sunset and mountain views, then enjoy a wildlife sighting adventure by canoe.
- 4-star villas
- Traditional teak wood design spaces, overwater restaurant and bar
- Every floating villa gives you direct access to the river via canoe or long-tail boat
- Close to waterfalls, trails and nature parks
- Cultural shows
- Rooms from $109 per night
The Blue Sky Resort, Koh Phayam
With thatched roofs, oversized windows and direct access to cerulean waters, staying at Blue Sky is like going to the Maldives, but at a fraction of the price. For the ultimate room-to-sea experience, opt for the Villa Maldives room type.
- 4-star resort
- Spacious villas with lots of natural light
- On-site bar and restaurant serves authentic Thai food
- Panoramic view of the sea from waterfront villas and steps leading directly to the water
- Numerous activities like canoeing and biking are free, while diving trips can be arranged for the more adventurous
- Rooms from $137 per night
Kwai Tara Riverside Villas
If thatched roofs and traditional interior design don’t float your boat, book a stay at Kwai Tara Riverside Villas. This modern and luxurious overwater stay is conveniently located so you can come home to your floating waterbed after an exciting city tour.
- 4-star hotel
- Spacious rooms with large balconies and a private entrance
- Floating villas let you dip your feet into the water right from your personal balcony
- Close to tourist attractions like the Memorial
- Museum and water activities, including bamboo rafting
- Rooms from $58 per night
500Rai Floating Resort
We swear the photo isn’t photoshopped! Book a stay at 500Rai Floating Resort for the ultimate #nofilter holiday photos. For a true getaway from the hustle and bustle, this resort is 50 miles from the city and perfect if your ideal holiday is to relax in a picturesque paradise.
- 3-star resort
- Each villa has a private balcony and modern amenities
- Guests can go for a dip in the lagoon or hop into their own canoe located right outside your door
- With only 16 rooms, you’re almost guaranteed a truly private and relaxing holiday
- Rooms from $302 per night
If you want something a little quieter and completely surrounded by nature, Panvaree Resort might just be the vacation stay of your dreams. Located near the scenic Rajaprapa Dam, take a day trek around the lake to the beautiful Prakarang coral cave. The resort’s also kid-friendly and features activities and dinner menus catered just for them.
- Onsite restaurant serves authentic Thai dishes, including options for those with specific dietary needs or restrictions
- Water activities galore, such as fishing and sight-seeing on bamboo rafts
- Local tours of Thailand’s stunning rainforest
- Rooms from $128 per night
Traveling during COVID-19
The CDC continues to advise caution when traveling within or outside the US, though it no longer requires self-quarantine or a COVID-19 test for fully vaccinated travelers as of April 2021. It recommends that you delay travel if you are not fully vaccinated to protect yourself and your family from getting or spreading the virus.
When traveling, follow safety measures that include wearing a mask in public, social distancing and washing your hands. If you are diagnosed with, have symptoms of or are waiting for COVID-19 test results — or are otherwise at risk of illness — do not attend gatherings or travel for 14 days.
Find overwater bungalows in other destinations worldwide.
Thailand and Asia travel deals