The CDC advises postponing travel to protect yourself and your family from getting or spreading COVID-19. If you plan to travel during the pandemic, monitor the risk assessment levels for your destination when planning your trip, before departure and on arrival. Follow safety measures that include wearing a mask in public, social distancing and washing your hands. If you are diagnosed with, have symptoms of or are waiting for test results for COVID-19 — or are otherwise at risk of illness — do not attend gatherings or travel for 14 days.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
5 best overwater bungalows in Malaysia
Find splendor above the surf in quarters that will carry you to new heights.
Malaysia is fast becoming a number-one location for luxurious overwater lodging.
Whether you’re chosen Malaysia for a romantic getaway, scuba diving or simply a well-deserved break, you are sure to find something exquisite here.
Let's start dreaming …
Lexis Hibiscus Port Dickson, Si Rusa
Fanning out over the turquoise waters of the Strait of Malacca are the overwater bungalows of Lexis Hibiscus. They're reminiscent of Dubai’s Palm Islands and are equally luxurious.
A stay here comes with complimentary sweeping ocean views and abundant marine life darting beneath your feet. The rooms are also spacious, which makes them perfect for bigger travel parties.
- 5-star hotel
- Spacious rooms of over 800 square feet with private dip pool and steam room
- 552 water bungalows directly over the Strait of Malacca with glass panel floors to watch the fish swim by
- Floor-to-ceiling glass doors provide unrestricted views of the beautiful scenery outside
- Bicycles for rent
Avani Goldcoast Sepang Goldcoast Resort, Bagan Lalang
For travellers who love a little privacy yet still want accessibility to the city, Avani Goldcoast is the answer. This tropical oasis is located in the heart of the city of Bagan Lalang and offers incredible family-friendly luxuries. It boasts adult indulgences such as a spa and wellness centre combined with plenty of children’s facilities such as a kids' club and child pool.
- 5-star resort
- Features an infinity pool, in-house spa
- 315 Polynesian-inspired overwater bungalows on a private stretch of beach
- Tours to the nearby elephant sanctuary and mangroves are available
- All-inclusive, kid-friendly resort and only a 40-minute drive from the airport and city centre
Gayana Marine Resort, Kota Kinabalu
Surrounded by the aquamarine sea, mangrove forest and majestic views of Kota Kinabalu, Gayana Marine Resort is perfect for a lavish stay. Both ocean and palm villas feature private balconies that let you dip straight into the sea – but for a real treat, make yours a palm villa. It has a glass-bottom floor and a private plunge pool on your deck.
- 5-star resort
- Boasts a diving centre, in-house spa and fitness classes as well as a limousine transfer service upon request
- Guests can participate in marine conservation programs such as coral replanting or getting up close to bamboo sharks
Pom Pom Island Resort, Pom Pom
Hop on a 45-minute boat ride off the coast of Borneo to a paradise of white-sand beaches and crystalline waters. Opt for the water bungalow when you stay in Pom Pom Island Resort and get rewarded with the sight of green and hawksbill turtles swimming around your bungalow.
- 4-star resort
- Traditional wooden villas on a private beach, on-site spa and dive centre
- Water villas offer a panoramic view of the sea from the sundeck and an open-concept bathroom
- On-site turtle conservation area where guests can watch turtles hatching as well as their release into the sea
Berjaya Langkawi Resort, Kampung Kok
Set on the edge of lush tropical rainforest and perched just over the open ocean, Berjaya Langkawi Resort lets you enjoy not one but two stunning views. Chalets and suites sit on stilts in the water, although opting to stay on land in a rainforest chalet or studio allows for a stay that’s a bit more modest — but no less exceptional.
There's no direct access to the water from the villas, but select suites offer panoramic vistas and jacuzzis on deck.
- 5-star resort
- Traditional Malay-style chalets, four restaurants and three bars
- 47 overwater bungalows on a stretch of private beach
- Snorkelling and other water-based activities are available
- Resort is within walking distance to the Langkawi Cable Car and Oriental Village
Find overwater bungalows in other destinations worldwide.
Current travel deals for Malaysia
Ask an Expert