GM OnStar car insurance review
Existing users can get a big discount, but coverage is only offered in Arizona for now
- Get a quote if you you have a GM vehicle equipped with OnStar for up to 20% off your premium.
- Pick something else if you live outside the company’s current service area,
No info available
New car protection
|New car protection||No info available|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Rideshare coverage||No info available|
No info available
- Big discounts for existing OnStar customers
- Backed by the fourth-largest auto company in the US
- Too new for customer reviews
- Not widely available
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Loyalty discount||Not yet|
|Military discount||No info available|
|Safety device discount|
|Special employment discount||No info available|
|Usage-based discount||No info available|
|Other discounts||Four-year degree, Away at school, Paperless billing, Automatic withdrawal|
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder, specializing in home and personal loans. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
OnStar Insurance is just getting started, but customers who drive GM vehicles with the service activated could save a lot of money on their monthly premiums. However, the newness of the company also means the coverage hasn’t been tested and the areas where policies are offered is extremely limited. If you’d rather wait until some of OnStar’s customers have weighed in, you may want to shop around for another insurer.
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
OnStar car insurance rates
We used OnStar’s quote tool to get sample rates for a 35-year-old female driver with a good driving record living in Arizona. For the state minimum coverage, we were quoted a little over $165 a month or $995 for a six-month policy.
How to get a free quote for OnStar car insurance
OnStar’s online quote tool lets you enter personal information to get a six-month insurance quote. But be sure to enter your name and birthdate correctly on the first try because once that information is entered, the tool won’t allow you to go back and change it for at least 48 hours.
Get an online quote by following a few quick steps:
- From OnStar’s insurance website, select what kind of insurance you are interested in, enter your ZIP code and select Get A Quote.
- Choose whether you want just car insurance or to bundle your home and car insurance and verify your ZIP code. Select Continue.
- Enter your personal information and answer questions about your vehicles. Select Continue.
- Add your vehicles and drivers and select Save & Continue.
- Answer questions to see which discounts you qualify for and select Continue.
- After your quote displays, select Review Coverages to enter more specific information and update your quote. Or, select Customized Quotes to adjust your coverage levels and generate a new quote.
What info do I need to apply?
Have the following available before you apply:
- Name, address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle information, such as the VIN number, odometer reading and estimated annual mileage
- Information about any other drivers you want to add
- Information about your previous insurance policy
- Documentation on any tickets or accidents you’ve had within the last five years
What discounts can I get with General Motors OnStar?
OnStar offers the following discounts:
- OnStar good driver. If you drive a GM vehicle with OnStar equipped, get up to 20% off your premium based on your driving.
- Good student. Full-time high school and college students maintaining a B average can get a discount.
- Bundled coverage. Get a discount for maintaining both your homeowners and auto policies with OnStar.
- Defensive driver. If you’ve completed a defensive driver’s course within the last three years, you qualify for a discount.
- Four-year degree. Customers with a bachelor’s degree or higher get a discount.
- Away at school. Get a discount if you attend school more than 100 miles from home and don’t have a vehicle with you at school.
- Paperless billing. Get a discount for having your monthly statements and bills sent to you digitally.
- Automatic withdrawal. Make automatic recurring payments to OnStar for a discount.
- Anti-theft. If your vehicle has anti-theft devices, you could get a discount.
What extra benefits and add-ons does GM OnStar Insurance offer?
You won’t know what extra benefits are available until you complete the application process. OnStar’s coverage and features can vary based on which insurer underwrites your policy.
Pros and cons of OnStar Insurance
- Hefty discounts available. If you are an OnStar user, you can get up to 20% off your premiums just for being a safe driver and allowing the company to collect driving data.
- Backed by General Motors. The OnStar brand is well established, and its parent company, General Motors, is the number four ranked motor vehicle company in the US, according to Fortune magazine.
- Limited availability. OnStar is only available in Arizona right now, and while GM says services will expand nationwide, there is no timetable for that expansion.
- Policy details unclear. Once the service does expand, so will the number of insurance underwriters. And because the coverage, features and discounts vary based on the underwriter, the details of your policy depend on the company you work with.
- No customer reviews. Being a new insurer means it hasn’t been tested by customers yet, which leaves any problems or advantages unknown for now.
OnStar Insurance reviews and complaints
As of April 2022, OnStar Insurance gets 1 our of 5 stars Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it isn’t BBB-accredited. There are no Trustpilot reviews, and the company hasn’t been included on any JD Power surveys. Because the coverage is currently only available in Arizona, it may be a year or two before any meaningful customer opinions are available.
Compare GM OnStar to alternatives
- Recommends insurance options for you
- Compares a variety of brands, big and small
- Gives results in minutes
- Compares 100+ insurance companies
- User-friendly quote tool shows real prices
- Offers bundled quotes for car, home and renters policies
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience
- Easy online sign-up and reporting
- Transparent quoting
What insurance coverage does OnStar offer?
Because these policies are underwritten by members of Homesite Group Incorporated, the exact features and coverages may vary by which company underwrites your policy. But all policies should have the following main coverages available:
- Bodily injury
- Property damage
- Uninsured motorist
- Medical expense
- Roadside assistance
- Glass damage
How to find an OnStar insurance agent near me
So far, OnStar doesn’t provide local agent offices, but you can call the OnStar Insurance contact number with your questions: 888-495-4674.
Frequently asked questions about OnStar insurance
- When will OnStar be available in my area?
According to many reports, GM aims to have coverage available nationwide buy end of 2022, but no schedule has been released.
- How do I make a claim with OnStar Insurance?
Select Claims on the website and follow the directions based on the claim you need to make. OnStar claims adjusters are available 24/7.