An online service that provides ready-to-file paperwork, but read the fine print to avoid ongoing fees.
OnlineDivorce.com gathers the necessary legal forms you’ll need to file for divorce. It then personalizes your documents by populating the necessary fields based on how you answer its questionnaire. But many customers complain online about late filings and unexpected monthly subscription fees that can take email and calls to cancel.
|Includes filing papers with court?||
No - you must file and pay court fees
|File without spouse||
|Divorce papers reviewed?||Yes|
- State-by-state filing instructions
- Guaranteed court approval or your money back
- Free name change and revisions
- May be charged a storage fee
- Unreliable customer service
What's in this review?
- How does OnlineDivorce.com work?
- How to file for divorce online with OnlineDivorce.com
- Pros and cons
- OnlineDivorce.com additional resources
- Compare OnlineDivorce.com to other services
- Is OnlineDivorce.com legit?
- OnlineDivorce.com online reviews
- Customer support
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
How does OnlineDivorce.com work?
OnlineDivorce.com helps you avoid fumbling through legal paperwork on your own. You answer a series of detailed questions, which the service uses to populate up-to-date divorce papers that you can download or have mailed to you for a fee. You then file this paperwork with your local county clerk’s office.
How much does OnlineDivorce.com cost?
OnlineDivorce.com costs $139. It offers a few extras, such as expedited service and filing, that you can add to your order.
Note that by signing up with OnlineDivorce.com, you’re automatically charged a $24.99 monthly storage fee at the end of your first month. You must call or email to cancel this subscription before the end of your first month to avoid the charge.
Does OnlineDivorce.com guarantee court approval?
Yes. The service advertises that if the court doesn’t accept your forms, you get your money back.
How to file for divorce online with OnlineDivorce.com
Confirm on the homepage whether you’re eligible for the service by answering questions about your spouse, selecting your state and entering your name and email. Once confirmed, follow five steps to file:
- Enter personal and financial information about your marriage, children, property and more.
- Input your billing information.
- Wait for OnlineDivorce.com to process your forms, and then download to print or request them mailed to you.
- Sign your documents, reviewing the accompanying instructions to see whether your state requires a notarized signature.
- Take the paperwork packet to your local county clerk to officially file for divorce.
Pros and cons
OnlineDivorce.com completes the necessary forms in your divorce packet based on your answers to its questionnaire, among other benefits.
- Fully guided. OnlineDivorce.com offers detailed filing instructions specific to your state. You get a step-by-step breakdown to guide you through the process.
- Accessible on any device. Conveniently complete and review your divorce papers on a computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Free name change and revisions. OnlineDivorce.com helps you change your surname back to your maiden name. You can also edit and then reprocess your forms for free.
Like most online divorce services, OnlineDivorce.com does not provide legal advice. And you still need to pay for filing fees and state-mandated notarization. Customers also warn of unexpected fees.
- Ongoing storage fee. To avoid paying a $24.99 storage charge each month, download your forms and cancel the service before your first automatic monthly payment.
- Many online complaints. About half of the service’s reviews on the BBB and Trustpilot since March 2020 focus on unexpected fees, difficulty in getting refunds and late or missing filings. The other half are five-star reviews, with Trustpilot adding a disclaimer announcing the detection of “fake reviews.”
OnlineDivorce.com additional resources
OnlineDivorce.com doesn’t advertise its add-ons online, rather you learn more about them after you sign up for the service.
We found reference to these services in customer reviews online:
- Expedited documents. Pay a fee for the service to process and deliver your paperwork packet faster.
- Serve your spouse. OnlineDivorce.com can handle the delivery of divorce papers to your spouse for a fee.
- File with the courts. After collecting your signed documents, pay a fee for the service to file them with the court on your behalf.
Compare OnlineDivorce.com to other services
See how OnlineDivorce.com measures up against similar online services in costs, benefits and more.
Is OnlineDivorce.com legit?
Yes. OnlineDivorce.com claims to have helped over 500,000 people file for divorce since 2001. It also guarantees your local clerk’s office will accept your documents, or your money back.
Negative online reviews may offer room to pause, but it can help you save time and research by pulling information from an online questionnaire into a downloadable divorce packet.
OnlineDivorce.com online reviews
Reviews are mixed for the service on BBB and Trustpilot. Notably on both sites, about 50% of online reviews since March 2020 earn 1 star. Specific complaints consistently focus on unexpected monthly subscription fees, difficulty in getting refunds and late or missing filings.
The other half earn 5 stars and praise competitive rates and well-prepared documents (though Trustpilot flags its page with a disclaimer about suspected “fake reviews”). Your mileage with the service may vary depending on your needs.
Carefully read the terms and conditions and other fine print you’re provided before signing up.
OnlineDivorce.com is not accredited with Better Business Bureau and earns a poor C- rating based on the BBB’s internal criteria that includes the company’s likelihood to interact with its customers.
|BBB||C- BBB rating|
|BestCompany||Not available yet|
|ConsumerAffairs.com||Not available yet|
|TrustPilot||3.8 out of 5 stars based on 130+ reviews|
|Sitejabber||4.5 out of 5 stars based on 80+ reviews|
- Phone. Call 866-927-1400 weekdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
- Email. Send a secure message through the Contact us page.
OnlineDivorce.com can prepare your divorce documents and guide you through the divorce procedure in your state. It also offers convenient services that can save you time, though for a fee, including serving your spouse and filing paperwork for you. Heed customer warnings of hidden fees by carefully reading the fine print before signing up.
With a rise of companies offering similar services, compare other online divorce sites contending for your business to find the best fit for your budget and circumstances.