We reviewed these survey tools in December 2020. We trust that the information on this site is current and accurate, but you should confirm any information with the product or service provider and read the information it can provide.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best online survey tools
Get valuable insights into your customers and take advantage of customizable features with an online survey tool.
Whether you’re looking for quick feedback from customers or you’re an entrepreneur looking to test new project ideas, an online survey tool could be a great option.
What is an online survey tool?
An online survey tool is a type of software that can give your company timely feedback about its products or services from a range of stakeholders.
It typically offers a range of customizable features to help you better understand your customers and even predict their spending habits, making it a useful aid to your market research. What’s more, online surveys can lower the cost and admin involved with more traditional surveys or questionnaires.
Best online survey tools of May 2021
These are some of the most popular online survey websites available.
Client Heartbeat is suited to individuals and companies willing to pay a little more to enjoy top-notch surveys. Client Heartbeat offers paid plans only, and these come with detailed tools for market studies and feedback collection.
- Access to CRM syncing tools to compare customer satisfaction with industry benchmarks.
- A 24/7 customer support service to address any queries you might have.
- Access to a testimonial widget to display survey responses on your website without having to use complex Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
- Client Heartbeat only offers paid plans and prices are comparatively high.
Here are all service packages available:
|Features||Monthly Plan||Yearly Plan|
SurveyPlanet offers useful tools with both its free and paid plans. Its software lets you create surveys and collect results in the cloud before sharing them on a range of social media platforms. With more features in its development pipeline, SurveyPlanet is definitely one to watch.
- No limit on surveys, questions or respondents.
- Multiple embed options available, including via email and websites.
- Form customization is limited on the free plan — features like logo customization are reserved for users of the paid plan.
- Survey data cannot be exported into an excel sheet with the free version.
You have two pricing options to meet your survey needs and budget. You’ll also find options for discounts on multiple licensing.
- Free: Get started with your survey using the robust features of SurveyPlanet’s free plan.
- Pro: Includes all the features of the free plan plus a full suite of customization tools for $20/month or $180/year. Pay monthly or yearly — the annual plan discounts you $60.
Typeform may be a great option if you’re looking to build quick online surveys with minimal focus on design. With the free version providing a whole range of features, Typeform allows you to engage your audience without breaking the bank.
- Create an unlimited amount of surveys with any number of questions on the free plan.
- Export the data from your survey in both XLS and CSV for further analysis.
- Users get to customize their form with different templates and themes.
- No option to export survey results immediately to Microsoft Word.
Choose from three pricing tiers to work with all the tools necessary for your surveys. Billing options allow for monthly or yearly payments.
- Essentials. Get all the survey basics here.
- Monthly: $35
- Yearly: $30/month when you pay for the year up front
- Professional. Step up your surveys with interactive forms.
- Monthly: $50
- Yearly: $35/month — the same price as the Essentials plan when you pay for the year in full
- Premium. A full-power selection of advanced features to step up your survey game.
- Monthly: $50
- Yearly: $59
While SoGoSurvey best caters to larger organizations, its free plans also offer great value to smaller enterprises and individuals. You’ll also get access to a large and well-developed data management interface.
- Make an unlimited number of surveys on the free plan.
- Export your collected survey data in both Microsoft Word and CSV on the free plan.
- You can contact their 24/7 customer service for help regardless of plan.
- Premium plan options tend to be pricier than other online survey tools on the market.
Here’s a review of the personal plans available to you. Business plans and pricing are based on your specific needs.
- Monthly: $25/month — $299 billed annually
- Yearly: No yearly plan available
- Monthly: $199 monthly
- Yearly: $66/month — $788 billed annually
- Monthly: $299 monthly
- Yearly: $99/month — $1188 billed annually
- Custom: Contact Sogosurvey to request a price based on the features you require.
If you’re a frequent user of Google services like Drive, you may want to try the search engine giant’s own online surveying tool. Not only is Google Forms completely free, but it also offers some features — such as logo customization — that are usually only available with paid plans.
- Allows you to reach out to an unlimited number of respondents.
- Instead of XLS/CSV sheets, all your survey data is funneled into a Google Spreadsheet for easy review.
- You can customize your form with a large variety of templates and custom themes.
- No paid plan for those looking for more comprehensive features, such as 24/7 customer support.
Google Forms is completely free for anyone with a Google account.
SurveyGizmo — now Alchemer
SurveyGizmo changed its name to Alchemer in October 2020. Alchemer lets you craft surveys that have great aesthetic appeal and beautiful designs. However, some features such as data encryption, form customization and unlimited responses aren’t available with Alchemer’s free plan.
- You can create unlimited questions and run up to three surveys at a time on the free version.
- The premium plan offers unique features such as form APIs and form access by multiple users.
- Forms can’t be embedded into your website or via email for free.
- A limit of 100 respondents per survey applies with its free plan.
Check out the variety of plans and payment options available:
Small business and Individuals
- Collaborator: $49/month or $300 annually
- Professional: $149/month or $1020 billed annually
- Full Access: $249/month or $1800 billed annually
All plans come with a seven-day free trial.
Enterprise and Business
Contact Alchemer to get customized information based on your needs.
SurveyMonkey makes it easy for you to customize your forms through a variety of free templates. Its Basic Plan lets you can ask up to 10 questions and view responses from up to 100 people per survey.
- Creating your form is easy with SurveyMonkey’s free templates.
- Unlike some other survey tools, SurveyMonkey allows you to embed surveys into your personal websites for free.
- You need to purchase a paid plan to export your data, ask more questions, and invite more respondents to your form.
- Customization is limited.
Find three plans to choose from:
- Team Advantage. $25/user per month, starting with three users. Billed annually.
- Team Premier. $25/user per month, starting with three users. Billed annually.
- Enterprise. Contact SurveyMonkey for detailed pricing information.
Zoho Survey offers a standard online survey tool with its free plan. Its competitively priced Pro plan will give you features including survey answer notifications and integration with Google Sheets.
- Access to multilingual survey creation.
- Premium plans come with some helpful features, including advanced reporting and access for up to three users.
- Limited to 15 questions and 150 responses per form with the free version.
- Free. Meet your basic survey needs at no cost.
- Plus. $20/month billed annually.
- Pro. $25/month billed annually. Free trial available.
- Enterprise. $60/month billed annually.
How to compare online survey tools
Which are the best online survey tools for you? Think about the following:
- Cost. What’s your budget? Prices can vary a lot between paid-for survey tools.
- Features. Are you looking for specific features such as Customer Relationship Management (CRM) integration, or a specific stylistic design? Ensure that your chosen survey option has the features that you need.
- Ease of use. How long does it take to create a form and send it out? If you can’t navigate the online form service with ease, then neither will your customers.
- Customization. You may want to choose a tool that lets you change the order of questions with ease, or gives respondents the chance to skip ones that aren’t relevant to them.
- Customer support. Can you take advantage of quick help if something goes wrong?
Compare other types of software
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Free vs. paid online surveys
Generally, online survey tools may be categorized into two groups:
- Surveys that provide ‘lite’ capabilities for free.
- Paid-for plans with more comprehensive features.
Both of these types of online survey tools can be beneficial, depending on your needs.
Free online survey tools often use no-frills surveys that send out questions to a restricted set of stakeholders. Meanwhile, paid online survey tools usually include a wider range of functions. These may include the chance to export and analyze results data, A/B testing and question randomization — a method used to restrict survey biases.
Whatever your purpose for conducting online surveys, it’s important to spend some time exploring your business software options. Compare each of the providers above side-by-side and you may find a tool that works for you based on your needs.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
7 best military banks and credit unions
The 7 best military banks and credit unions for vets, reservists and active-duty personnel.
Public vs. Robinhood
Putting tools, feedback, features and fees for these two platforms head to head.
Best bank accounts for freelancers and the self-employed
Compare the five best bank accounts for self-employed professionals and freelancers.
Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard review
Teach your kid to save, spend and give wisely with this prepaid debit card and mobile app.
How to start a cleaning business
From making a business plan and getting insurance to marketing and setting your prices — here’s how to start your own cleaning business.
Best online banks for 2021
Thinking of going digital? This one’s for you.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
SoFi Invest alternatives
Check out apps like SoFi invest offering many of the same benefits and then some.
7 debt relief scams to have on your radar
Don’t be fooled by false promises — here are red flags to watch out for and tips to find a legit company.
5 key TD Ameritrade competitors
Thinking of switching from TD Ameritrade? Here are 5 apps like TD Ameritrade that offer valuable benefits.