How to choose and send birthday flowers
Help the perfect birthday blossom with beautiful blooms.
Flowers are the perfect way to make a birthday special. They’re a beautiful and timeless gift that are always appreciated. A beautiful bouquet can bring joy and vibrancy to a home for a week or more, and particularly special arrangements can be dried and kept as a keepsake.
Which flowers should be given for a birthday?
Choosing the right flowers doesn’t have to be hard. Pick a flower that communicates the message you’re looking for. Carnations denote fascination, daisies stand for loyal love, chrysanthemums and yellow roses stand for friendship, pink roses represent secret love, white roses denote innocent love, yellow and orange roses signify passion, lilacs ask recipients if they still love you and purple hyacinths say you’re asking for forgiveness.
How to shop for beautiful flowers for a birthday online
Choosing the right kind of flowers to give to someone on his or her birthday isn’t rocket science, and as long as you pay attention to a few aspects, you’re sure to get things right.
Consider the recipient.
Start by thinking about their favorite colors. If you don’t really know the recipient, you can take hints from items like the clothing they wear.
What do you want to say?
Keep in mind that flowers can help convey feelings and emotions. If you want flowers to express friendship, you should select different blooms than if you’re in a romantic relationship.
Flowers by month
You can find flowers associated with every month of the year. Your birth month has a special flower just like it has a special gemstone.
- January: Snowdrops and carnations
- February: Primrose and violets
- March: Jonquil and violets
- April: Daisies and sweet peas
- May: Lily of the valley and hawthorn
- June: Roses and honeysuckle
- July: Water lilies and larkspur
- August: Gladiolas and poppy
- September: Morning glory and aster
- October: Marigold
- November: Chrysanthemum
- December: Poinsettia and holly
Online birthday flower ideas and advice
Buying birthday flowers has been simplified thanks to the internet. You have lots of choices to consider, so knowing which flowers to choose and why makes the process simpler — here are some ideas:
- Seasonal and local flowers. Looking for flowers that grow locally ensures freshness and they save you from paying extra for shipping — they typically score better in terms of quality too.
- Buds or fully bloomed. Paying attention to whether they arrive in bloom, half open or as buds is a good idea. While you can buy most flowers in their bud or half open form, flowers like misty, gypsophila, emile and gerberas should arrive completely open. Chrysanthemums and carnations should arrive partially or completely open.
- Don’t mix fruits and flowers. If you intend to mix fruits along with flowers, know that it’s a bad idea. Fruits give off ethylene, a gas that aids in ripening. When mixed with flowers, fruits cause them to age much faster.
- Keeping it simple. Bear in mind that you’re paying for more than just the flowers — you’re paying for the time and expertise of the florist. So, the more complex an arrangement, the more time it’ll take to make. If you don’t plan to spend too much, keeping away from intricate designs is a good idea.
Best flowers for birthdays
Lavender Fields Mixed Flower Bouquet
Custom Rose Bouquet
Blooming Garden Basket
Pearl Flower Arrangement
The Bouqs Co
Where to shop online for the best flowers for a birthday
Avas Flowers gives you a good selection at fair prices.
- Huge selection. You can even shop by color.
- Freshest flowers.
- Around the clock customer service.
Did you suddenly remember today’s the birthday? Flora2000 has you covered if you order by noon.
- Network of local florists provide the freshest flowers possible.
- Flowers are sourced only from reputable farms.
- Same day delivery is available in a pinch.
The Bouqs Co
The Bouqs Co has gorgeous arrangements – just plan this in advance!
- Modern arrangements.
- Free shipping when you make an account.
- Responsibly sourced.
This popular website has floral arrangements ranging from traditional to cute.
- Large selection of flowers.
- Variety of payment options.
- Great customer service.
A name that most of us are familiar with, FTD delivers here and internationally
- Use the availability selectors to immediately see what is in stock in your recipient’s zip code.
- Send birthday flowers to your loved ones in other countries
- 7-day satisfaction guarantee.
Best deals for birthday flowers
More guides on Finder
The best wedding flowers you can buy online
Browse florists dedicated to bridal and wedding flowers online and find that perfectly arranged bouquet for your wedding.
250+ online stores that DEFINITELY accept American Express
A list of online shops that welcome American Express cards and won’t place a surcharge for the privilege, as well as details of the online shops that still do and how you can potentially get around it.
Avas Flowers promo codes
Avas Flowers offers its customers an array of flowers, live plants and gift baskets for any occasion. Since this florist doubles as a wholesale supplier, it is able to offer highly discounted prices to its customers.
Some of your options include roses, carnations, lilies and orchids. You can find green and blooming plants, as well as an assortment of fruit and gourmet baskets.
If you want to send flowers to anyone, anywhere in the US, and wish to save money in the process, Avas Flowers deserves your attention.
How to send flowers online
Buying flowers requires much more thought than simply picking the first bunch to catch your eye.
Ask an Expert