Old Navy Credit Card review
Earn a 5% rewards rate at select Gap Inc. brands.
- Get this card if you’re a frequent shopper in the Gap Inc. network, which includes Old Navy.
- Pick something else if you rarely shop in the Gap Inc. network.
- You may qualify with fair credit. However, you’ll have much better odds with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
5x points at Gap, Inc. brands and 1x points on all purchases if approved for Visa
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||20% off your first purchase at oldnavy.com and 10% off Gap Inc. brand purchases for the first 60 days|
|Rewards||5x points at Gap, Inc. brands and 1x points on all purchases if approved for Visa|
|Purchase APR||25.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Old Navy Credit Card is a $0-annual-fee store credit card that comes in two versions. With a stronger credit score, you have higher odds of being approved for the open-loop version of the card that’s valid wherever Visa is accepted. Otherwise, you may be approved for the closed-loop version that’s valid only within the Gap Inc. network that includes Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta.
If you shop in the Gap network frequently, you’ll find great value with this card. Earn 5x points — an excellent 5% rewards rate — when you spend with Gap Inc. brands. You’ll also find perks like periodic discounts, presale access to select sales and the ability to earn Navyist status.
The card isn’t without its weaknesses. If you have the Old Navy Visa Card, you’ll earn just 1x points on non-Gap Inc. purchases. That’s a 1% rewards rate, which is standard but unspectacular. Also, watch out for the very high 27.49% variable purchase APR, which can be punishing if you carry a balance each month.
Give this card a serious look if you’re a loyal shopper within the Gap Inc. Otherwise, you’ll find more attractive rewards with other cards — many of which have no annual fees.
How to apply for the Old Navy Credit Card
- Visit the Gap website and navigate to the Old Navy Credit Card page.
- Click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with information such as your full name, contact information and annual net income.
- Review your information and submit the application.
What credit score do I need?
Applicants typically have the best chances if they apply with a good to excellent FICO score of 670 and above. However, some applicants have reported getting approved with lower scores. Note that approval is never guaranteed.
- No annual fee.
A $0 annual fee helps you get more value out of your rewards.
- Signup bonus: Old Navy discounts.
Receive 20% off on your first purchase with your Old Navy Credit Card. This offer is valid up to 90 days after your account open date. Use it at the Old Navy website.For the first 60 days after account opening, you’ll also qualify for a Welcome Shopping Pass, which offers 10% off all purchases at eligible Gap Inc. stores.
- Rewards: Up to 5x points.
Earn 5x points on spending at Gap Inc. brands, including Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta. This gives you an excellent 5% rewards rate. If you have an Old Navy Visa Card, you’ll earn 1x points when you use your card outside Gap Inc. brands. This isn’t a spectacular rate, so consider using your card for this only if you’re shooting for Navyist status. Plenty of cashback cards offer better rewards
How points redemption works
Your points are automatically redeemed each billing cycle. When you earn 500 points, you’ll receive a $5 Reward.
- If you earn 1,000 points in a billing cycle, you’ll receive a $10 Reward.
- If you earn 2,700 points in a billing cycle, you’ll receive a $25 Reward and 200 points will carry over to the next billing cycle.
Redeem Rewards at eligible Gap Inc. stores.
- Cardmember benefits.
Receive special offers throughout the year. Also, get presale access to select sales.
- Work toward Navyist status.
If you earn 5,000 points in a calendar year, you’ll reach Navyist status. Your card will be upgraded to The Navyist Card. This status tier includes a 20% boost in reward points each quarter, free shipping on eligible online orders, complimentary basic alterations on Banana Republic purchases and a priority customer service line.
- Earn up to 1,000 points by opting in for Gap Inc. promotional emails.
Do this after you receive your Old Navy Credit Card account number. Earn 500 points by entering your email address. Earn another 500 points by opting in to paperless billing.
What to watch out for
- You may receive the Old Navy Visa Card or Old Navy Credit Card. You’ll receive one or the other depending on your credit profile. Synchrony Bank, the issuing bank of this card, will decide after you apply.
- High APR. Regardless of which card you get, there’s a 25.99% variable APR for purchases. If you plan on carrying a balance, the Old Navy Credit Card might not be the best choice. Consider a card with a lower purchase APR.
Save more at Old Navy
The best times to bag up a bargain at Old Navy are in between seasonal clothing changes. Look for deals on the brand’s iconic flip-flops in late spring and early summer, for example, and deals on sweaters and coats in October and November. Old Navy has also been known to slash prices by up to 50% on everything across the site and in stores for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
To keep even more jingle in your pocket, pick up a promo code or other special savings before you buy.
Compare store credit cards
You may receive the Old Navy Credit Card or Old Navy Visa Card. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t receive the latter. It offers the same rewards within the Gap Inc. network and its other rewards are so-so.