Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What is MyMSD?
Use Work and Income’s convenient online tool to apply for benefits, check payments, make appointments and more.
MyMSD is an online tool for Work and Income set up by the Ministry of Social Development (MSD). By logging into the self-service portal you can access a range of Work and Income services on a secure website.
It’s easy to register and sign up for MyMSD, all you need is a client number, and a computer or smartphone.
What can you use MyMSD for?
Instead of phoning or visiting a contact centre between opening hours and waiting to speak to someone, now you can use MyMSD at a time that suits you.
MyMSD can help take the frustration out of trying to get the information you need and keep you up-to-date on your benefit obligations.
You can use MyMSD to:
- Apply for a benefit or food grant
- Apply for help with emergency financial assistance
- Apply for NZ superannuation
- Re-apply for benefits you’re already receiving
- Declare changes in your circumstances
- Check on upcoming payments or stop a payment
- Make an appointment with Work and Income
How to set up a MyMSD account
- Firstly you need to register for MyMSD, so you’ll need:
- Your client number (if you don’t have a client number you can request one through the Work and Income website)
- A mobile number or email address that is registered with Work and Income.
- Once you have these two pieces of information, go to my.msd.govt.nz and click on ‘Register for MyMSD’.
- Enter your client number and date of birth.
- Enter the 6 digit code they send to your mobile phone or email address, and select ‘Next’.
- You’ll now need to select a 4-digit pin, then re-enter it to access the homepage.
- From there you can familiarise yourself with the site and the different options available.
The instructions for how to set up a MyMSD account are also on the Work and Income website. You can call them on 0800 559 009 from Monday to Friday, between 8am and 5pm if you get stuck and need help.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to make NFTs
Find out all you need to create your own NFTs – the new application of blockchain technology that enables digital ownership of assets.
My Food Bag discount codes January 2022
Want scrumptious, healthy meals for the family? Make the most of your time with My Food Bag. Easy to cook. No shopping required.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
Guarda Wallet – 2022 review
Learn more about the Guarda cryptocurrency wallet and find out how it works.
New Zealand student discounts January 2022: All the ways to save on clothes, tech and more
There are plenty of discounts up for grabs for Kiwi students. But how do you get access?
Oakley sunglasses promo codes and discounts | Get 50% off
Oakley has been popular worldwide for decades and has the best in shades, streetwear, bags and more.
Bed Threads discount codes and coupons January 2022
There is no need to keep searching for your dream bedding. You’ve found it right here. Everything you need is at Bed Threads.