Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What is MyMSD?
Use Work and Income’s convenient online tool to apply for benefits, check payments, make appointments and more.
MyMSD is an online tool for Work and Income set up by the Ministry of Social Development (MSD). By logging into the self-service portal you can access a range of Work and Income services on a secure website.
It’s easy to register and sign up for MyMSD, all you need is a client number, and a computer or smartphone.
What can you use MyMSD for?
Instead of phoning or visiting a contact centre between opening hours and waiting to speak to someone, now you can use MyMSD at a time that suits you.
MyMSD can help take the frustration out of trying to get the information you need and keep you up-to-date on your benefit obligations.
You can use MyMSD to:
- Apply for a benefit or food grant
- Apply for help with emergency financial assistance
- Apply for NZ superannuation
- Re-apply for benefits you’re already receiving
- Declare changes in your circumstances
- Check on upcoming payments or stop a payment
- Make an appointment with Work and Income
How to set up a MyMSD account
- Firstly you need to register for MyMSD, so you’ll need:
- Your client number (if you don’t have a client number you can request one through the Work and Income website)
- A mobile number or email address that is registered with Work and Income.
- Once you have these two pieces of information, go to my.msd.govt.nz and click on ‘Register for MyMSD’.
- Enter your client number and date of birth.
- Enter the 6 digit code they send to your mobile phone or email address, and select ‘Next’.
- You’ll now need to select a 4-digit pin, then re-enter it to access the homepage.
- From there you can familiarise yourself with the site and the different options available.
The instructions for how to set up a MyMSD account are also on the Work and Income website. You can call them on 0800 559 009 from Monday to Friday, between 8am and 5pm if you get stuck and need help.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
Oakley sunglasses promo codes and discounts | Get 50% off
Oakley has been popular worldwide for decades and has the best in shades, streetwear, bags and more.
What is a novated lease?
If you want to reduce your taxable income but get something for it, such as your next car, you can consider salary sacrificing it with a novated lease. Find out exactly how it works and if its right for you.
The Hut promo codes and offers: Get 15% off
Whatever you want for your home, leisure or fashion, you can get it from The Hut.
How to increase your upload speed
With upload speeds possibly lagging behind download speeds in New Zealand, read our tips on how to improve your service.
How much can you really make as an Uber driver?
Is signing up as an UberX driver worth it? Use the calculator and read our guide to find out how much you might expect to make.
Credit card minimum payments explained
What options do you have with credit card payments — and how do minimum repayments stack up?
Coursera discount codes and coupons July 2021 | Join for FREE
Upskill or retrain at Coursera for less with one of these exclusive coupon codes.
Community Services Card – a guide
A guide to Work and Income’s Community Services Card.
How to get a tax refund
Forget about using a tax agent. The IRD makes finding out if you have a tax refund extremely easy so you get the maximum payout possible.