The prepaid card from Westpac makes it easy for you to manage your money while still enjoying the convenience of having a credit card but without having to pay interest for the privilege.
Features of the Westpac prepaid Visa
- Reloadable. Unlike some single-use prepaid card, the Westpac prepaid card is reloadable, meaning you can top up and use whenever your balance runs low.
- Westpac bank account not required. The card is available to anyone, including those who aren’t current Westpac banking customers.
- Use anywhere Visa is accepted. You can use the Westpac prepaid card at any business where Visa is accepted and at any ATM globally.
- No limit. You can load the Westpac prepaid card with as much currency as you need. Bear in mind that there is a minimum initial load amount of $50.
- Easy reloading. The card be reloaded at any Westpac branch or by calling up. You can also reload the card online, but only if you are a current Westpac customer and have access to Westpac One online banking.
- No bills. As it’s a prepaid card, you don’t have to worry about interest and account maintenance.
This is a summary of the fees that apply to the Westpac prepaid Visa. See the Westpac website for all fee information.
- Card purchase fee: $20. This includes the initial load free of $3.
- Load fee: It costs $3 to load the card at a branch or ATM and $1 if loading online or by phone.
- ATM withdrawal fee: While it’s free to withdraw money from a Westpac branch or ATM, a $2 fee applies to withdrawals made from non-Westpac ATMs.
- Currency conversion: If you use the card to withdraw or make a purchase in another currency, a fee of 2.5% of the total amount in New Zealand dollars will apply.
How to get a Westpac prepaid visa
To get the Westpac prepaid visa you don’t need to be a Westpac bank customer, but you do need to be at least 12 years old. If you’re between 12 and 17, you will need a parent or guardian to sign the application. You must also be a New Zealand resident at the time of your application.
- Apply at any Westpac branch. A branch locator can be found on the Westpac website
- Load the card. You can do this at the branch, online, over the phone, or at a Westpac ATM.
- Use it. When using your card at a store or an ATM, select the payment method as ‘credit.
Compare Westpac credit cards
More guides on Finder
Find the best prepaid credit card
There are a number of prepaid credit cards offered on the market. Read this article and find out exactly what to look for in order to compare and catch the most ideal prepaid credit card that will suit your lifestyle and financial needs.
Ask an Expert