Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard Review
If you like to travel, this card has exclusive benefits to enjoy while earning rewards for everyday spending.
|Product Name||Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||16.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$18,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||120 days|
Benefits of the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard
- Rewards for everyday spend. For every $1 you spend on your credit card you earn 3 hotpoints. Once you have accumulated hotpoints you can redeem them for a range of rewards including vouchers, merchandise and travel.
- Airport lounge access. Your Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard comes with Priority Pass lounge access so you can relax in over 1300 lounges in airports around the world.
- Overseas travel insurance. When you prepay travel bookings on your card you receive overseas travel insurance for trips of up to 120 days at a time. There is no limit on how many trips you can take each year, and your family members travelling with you are also covered.
- Mastercard Travel & Lifestyle Services Program. Get access to exclusive travel, shopping and dining experiences worldwide with the Mastercard Travel & Lifestyle Services Program.
- Account fee waiver. If you spend a minimum of $50,000 in a 6 month period, your account fee for the next 6 months is waived.
Features of the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard
- Credit limit. The Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard has a minimum credit limit of $18,000.
- Interest rate. The interest rate for purchases is 16.95% p.a. Cash advances are subject to a rate of 22.95% p.a.
- Annual account fee. The annual account fee for this card is $390, charged every six-months. The account fee for the first additional or joint is waived. Further cards cost $100 each.
- Purchase Protection Insurance. Be covered for accidental damage, loss or theft of items that you purchase on your Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard. You can also extend the manufacturer warranty on certain items by up to 12 months.
- Westpac CardGuard and Card Blocker. You are protected from fraudulent activity at all times with Westpac CardGuard. In addition, you can temporarily block and unblock your card with Card Blocker if you misplace your card.
- Transfer your balance. If you successfully apply to transfer your current credit card balance to your new Westpac new credit card, you only pay 5.95% p.a. interest until you repay the balance.
- CashNav. Monitor your card spend in real-time with Westpac’s money management app.
- Interest-free days. When you pay off your statement balance in full each month, you enjoy interest-free purchases for up to 44 days.
- Contactless payments. Mastercard Tap & Go makes shopping more convenient and safer.
How to apply
Before applying for the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the required documentation. You should also carefully review the benefits, features, rates and fees to ensure that this card is suitable for your financial situation and lifestyle. It is also helpful to compare it against other credit cards.
To start your application, you can visit your local Westpac branch or fill in an application form on the Westpac website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Be earning at least $15,000 a year
If you fill in your application online, you still need to visit a Westpac branch to verify your identity and income. It will advise you of precisely what documents you need to bring, but you can expect Westpac to ask for:
- Proof of identity: A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, bank statement or government letter
- Proof of expenses and income: Three months worth of bank statements for your main transaction account where your income is credited.
The bottom line
If you spend a lot of time travelling and want a card that gives you significant benefits while away from home, the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard is worth considering. While this card does come with a hefty annual fee of $390, the numerous perks might outweigh this cost if you can take full advantage of them. For example, in addition to airport lounges and special Mastercard privileges, you are covered with overseas travel insurance for trips of up to 120 days. The Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard is not only about travel benefits, though, but you also earn hotpoints every time you make an eligible purchase, which you can redeem for a range of rewards.