Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard Review
If you like to travel, this card has exclusive benefits to enjoy while earning rewards for everyday spend.
If you spend a lot of time travelling and want a card that will give you the most amount of benefits when you are away from home, the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard is worth considering. While this card does come with a hefty annual fee, the numerous perks may outweigh this cost if you are able to take full advantage of them.
As well as access to airport lounges, a 24/7 concierge service and special Mastercard privileges, you’ll be covered with overseas travel insurance for trips of up to 120 days.
|Product Name||Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard|
|Rewards Program||Westpac hotpoints Rewards|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||16.95% APR|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||22.95% APR|
|Min credit limit||$18,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||120 days|
Benefits of the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard
- Rewards for everyday spend. For every $1 you spend on your credit card you’ll earn 3 hotpoints. Once you have accumulated hotpoints you can redeem them for a range of rewards including vouchers, merchandise and travel.
- Airport lounge access. Your Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard comes with Priority Pass lounge access so you can relax in over 1000 lounges in airports around the world.
- Overseas travel insurance. When you prepay for travel bookings on your card you’ll get overseas travel insurance for trips of up to 120 days at a time. There is no limit on how many trips you can take each year and your family members travelling with you will also be covered.
- On Call Concierge. As a Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard holder you have access to a concierge service for assistance with restaurant, taxi and travel bookings.
- World Mastercard Privileged Access Program. Get access to exclusive travel, shopping and dining experiences around the world with the World Mastercard Privileged Access Program.
- Home Assist. If you need a tradesperson to fix a problem in your home, Home Assist will arrange this for you.
- Car Rental Upgrades. Your Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard gives you a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership and one free upgrade.
- Account fee waiver. If you spend a minimum of $50,000 in a 6 month period, your account fee for the next 6 months is waived.
Features of the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard
- Credit limit. The Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard has a minimum credit limit of $18,000.
- Interest rate. The interest rate for purchases is 16.95% p.a. Cash advances are subject to a rate of 22.95% p.a.
- Annual account fee. The account fee for this card is $390 each year, charged in two 6-monthly amounts. The annual account fee for any additional or joint cards is $100.
- Purchase Protection Insurance. Be covered for accidental damage, loss or theft of items that you purchase on your Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard. You can also extend the manufacturer warranty on certain items by up to 12 months.
- Westpac CardGuard and Card Blocker. You’ll be protected from fraudulent activity at all times of day and night with Westpac CardGuard. You can temporarily block and unblock your card with Card Blocker if you misplace your card.
- Transfer your balance. If you successfully apply for your current credit card balance to be transferred to your new credit card, you’ll only pay 5.95% p.a. interest until the balance is paid off.
- CashNav. Monitor your card spend in real-time with Westpac’s money management app.
- Interest-free days. When you pay off your statement balance in full each month, you’ll enjoy interest-free purchases for up to 44 days.
- Contactless payments. Mastercard Tap & Go makes shopping more convenient and safer.
How to apply
Before applying for the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the required documentation. You should also carefully review the benefits, features, rates and fees to ensure that this card is suitable for your financial situation and lifestyle.
To start your application you can call into your local Westpac branch or fill in an application form on the Westpac website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Be receiving an appropriate income
If you fill in your application online, you will still need to go into a Westpac branch to verify your identity and income. Westpac will advise you of exactly what documents you will need to bring but you can expect to be asked for:
- Proof of identity: A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, bank statement or government letter
- Proof of expenses and income: Three months’ of bank statements for your main transaction account where your income is credited.