Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard Review
Earn 2 hotpoints for every $1 you spend and have access to travel insurance, Purchase Protection Insurance and Extended Warranty Insurance.
While the annual account fee for the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard is higher, you can take advantage of many included benefits. You can earn double the amount of hotpoints than you can with the standard Westpac hotpoints Mastercard, making it twice as fast to redeem rewards.
Overseas travel insurance is included when you use your card for prepaid travel bookings, and while you’re abroad, you won’t pay transaction fees for using certain ATMs. The goods that you purchase are protected with Purchase Protection Insurance, and you can extend the manufacturer warranty on things like a new TV, stereo or dishwasher for another 12 months.
|Product Name||Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||20.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$10,000|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||35 days|
Benefits of the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard
- Earn hotpoints. For every $1 you spend on your Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard you earn 2 hotpoints. Hotpoints can be redeemed for different kinds of rewards such as merchandise, vouchers and travel, plus you can even donate hotpoints to the Westpac Rescue Helicopters. Use the hotpoints calculator on the Westpac website to work out how many hotpoints you could earn based on your typical spend.
- hotpoints Pay. With hotpoints Pay, if you accrue enough hotpoints, you can use them to make a purchase anywhere Mastercard is accepted. You can even use your hotpoints to pay for a purchase up to 90 days after making it.
- Interest-free days. When you pay your statement balance off in full, you can enjoy up to 55 interest-free days on purchases.
- Overseas travel insurance. Use your Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard for prepaid travel costs and get overseas travel insurance for you and your family members on return trips up to 35 days. There is no limit to the number of trips you can use travel insurance for each year.
- Purchase Protection Insurance. If an item you pay for in full is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen, replacement coverage is valid for up to 90 days.
- Extended Warranty Insurance. You can extend a manufacturer’s warranty on an item you purchase on your Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard by up to 12 months.
- No international transaction fee. When you use your card at a Global Alliance ATM, you won’t pay the any transaction or service fees.
- Mastercard Travel and Lifestyle Services Programme. Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard holders can access exclusive entertainment, travel and dining experiences around the world.
Features of the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard
- Interest rate. An interest rate of 20.95% p.a. applies to purchases and a rate of 22.95% p.a. applies to cash advances.
- Annual account fee. The annual account fee for the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard is $70, charged in two 6-monthly instalments of $35.
- Transfer your balance. Transfer the balance of another provider’s credit card to your new Westpac card. If accepted, you only pay 5.95% p.a. interest until you pay off this balance.
- Joint and additional cards. If you request a joint or additional card, an annual fee of $25 is charged for each card.
- Tap & Go. Make contactless payments in-store with Mastercard Tap & Go. You only need to enter your PIN if the transaction is $200 or higher.
- Westpac CardGuard. Stay protected from fraudulent activity with Westpac CardGuard. You can put a temporary block on your card at any time with Card Blocker if you misplace your card.
- CashNav. Use Westpac’s money management app CashNav to monitor your realtime card spend.
How to apply
Before applying for the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard, make sure to review its benefits, interest rate and fees and compare it against other credit cards. You can start your application by visiting a Westpac branch or by completing an application form on the Westpac website at a time convenient to you.
To be approved, you need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Receive an annual income of at least $15,000 per year
If you receive approval for your application, you need to verify your identity, proof of address and income at a Westpac branch. The documents you need include:
- Proof of identity: A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, bank statement or government letter
- Proof of expenses and income: Three months worth of bank statements for the primary transaction account where your income is credited.
The bottom line
With a more substantial credit limit of $10,000 a year, the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard may be ideal if you need to pay for a larger ticket item or like the security of a higher credit limit. Plus, if you like to travel, you can access travel insurance cover for unlimited trips of up to 35 days. However, make sure the benefits you obtain with the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard outweigh the annual fee of $70.