Westpac hotpoints Mastercard Review
Earn rewards for using your card on everyday purchases.
The Westpac hotpoints Mastercard rewards you for spending while keeping annual account fees low. hotpoints is Westpac’s credit card reward programme, giving you access to a range of products that you can redeem your hotpoints for.
Hotpoints is not the only benefit of this card. Transfer your existing balance for a low-interest rate, and pay no transaction fees when you use participating ATMs around the world.
|Product Name||Westpac hotpoints Mastercard|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||20.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$500|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||N/A|
Benefits of the Westpac hotpoints Mastercard
- Earn rewards. For every $1 you spend on your Westpac hotpoints Mastercard you earn 1 hotpoint. Hotpoints can be redeemed for rewards such as merchandise, travel and vouchers. You can even donate hotpoints to the Westpac Rescue Helicopters. Use the hotpoints calculator on the Westpac website to find out how many hotpoints you can earn based on your average monthly spend.
- hotpoints Pay. With hotpoints Pay, if you have accrued enough hotpoints, you can use them to make a purchase wherever Mastercard is accepted. You can even use your hotpoints to pay for a purchase up to 90 days after you make it.
- Mastercard Priceless. Enjoy unique local and global offers on dining, entertainment, shopping and travel with the Mastercard Priceless programme.
- Interest-free days. Get up to 55 interest-free days when you pay off your statement balance in full each month.
- Balance transfer. If you have an outstanding balance on a credit card from another provider, you can apply to transfer it to your new card. If successful, you pay only 5.95% p.a. for the life of that balance.
- No international ATM fee. You won’t pay the usual $2 transaction fee when you use your Westpac hotpoints Mastercard at an ATM in the Global ATM Alliance.
Features of the Westpac hotpoints Mastercard
- Interest rate. Standard purchases are subject to an interest rate of 20.95% p.a. An interest rate of 22.95% p.a. applies to cash advances.
- Account fee. The Westpac hotpoints Mastercard has an annual account fee of $44.
- Link your accounts. Link your other Westpac accounts to your credit card, so you only need to carry one card with you when you head out and about.
- CashNav. Monitor your spending with Westpac’s money management app, which lets you check in real-time.
- Contactless payments. In-store payments are faster and more convenient with Mastercard Tap & Go. You only need to enter your PIN if the transaction is $200 or higher.
- Westpac CardGuard. Stay protected from fraudulent activity 24/7 with Westpac CardGuard.
- Card Blocker. If you temporarily misplace your card or believe it has been lost or stolen, you can put a block on it using Card Blocker.
- Globally accepted. Use your Westpac hotpoints Mastercard at over 35 million locations around the world.
How to apply
If you’re ready to apply for the Westpac hotpoints Mastercard, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the required documents outlined below. You can either pop into a branch to fill in an application form, or you can submit a form on the Westpac website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Receive an annual income of at least $15,000 per year
For Westpac to approve your application, you need to prove your identity, income and address. You can expect Westpac to ask for the following documents, so make sure to have these ready before applying.
- Proof of identity: A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, bank statement or government letter
- Proof of expenses and income: Three months worth of bank statements for your main transaction account where your income is credited.
The bottom line
The Westpac hotpoints Mastercard has the lowest annual fee of all Westpac’s hotpoints cards but still attracts a substantial purchase interest rate of 20.95% p.a. However, if you wish to transfer a balance from another credit card provider, you pay only 5.95% p.a. for the life of this balance, which can be helpful if you wish to pay off significant debt.