Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard Review
Airpoints Dollars, Status Points, Priority Pass, Concierge Service, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, valet parking and travel insurance – there sure is a lot packed into this card.
|Product Name||Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||16.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$18,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||120 days|
While it does have a hefty account fee, the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard is packed with benefits. With a lower required spend, this Airpoints credit card earns you Airpoints Dollars faster than any other Westpac card. Plus, if you spend more than $50,000 in a six-month period, your account fee for the following six months is waived. While earning Airpoints, you also earn Status Points to help you move up the ranks of Air New Zealand’s frequent flyer programme.
As well as being rewarded while you spend, the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard has a heap of benefits for Kiwis that frequently travel for work or pleasure. You have access to airport lounges around the world, a 24/7 concierge to assist you with bookings and travel arrangements, car rental upgrades, travel insurance and more. There’s a discount on the Koru programme membership for special benefits with Air New Zealand, and the Mastercard Travel and Lifestyle Services Programme brings you special experiences around the world.
With so many perks, this card is worth considering for frequent flyers who can take advantage of what it has to offer. However, with the higher account fee and minimum credit limit of $18,000, make sure that it fits in with your budget and lifestyle before applying.
Benefits of the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard
- Earn Airpoints Dollars. You earn 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $70 you spend on your Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard. This is the fastest way to earn Airpoints out of any Westpac credit card. Once you accumulate Airpoints Dollars you can redeem them for rewards such as flights, upgrades, gifts, merchandise, travel insurance and rental cars. Your Airpoints Dollars never expire as long as you are a current cardholder.
- Status Points. Move your way up the membership tiers of Air New Zealand’s frequent flyer programme by earning 1 Status Point for every $225 you spend on your card.
- Overseas travel insurance. When you use your Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard to prepay for upcoming travel, you can receive insurance cover for round trips of up to 120 days. It may also cover family travelling with you.
- Koru membership. Air New Zealand’s Koru programme gives you access to Air New Zealand lounges, priority baggage and premium check-in. Your joining fee is waived and you receive a $145 discount off the annual membership rate when you are a Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard holder.
- Koru valet parking. Each year you receive two Koru valet parking passes to use at Christchurch or Auckland airports. These vouchers entitle you to 24 hours parking.
- Priority Pass. Relax in over 1,300 lounges in airports around the world with the included Priority Pass membership.
- Concierge Service. Your on-call concierge can help you with travel arrangements, restaurant bookings and organising local transport wherever you are in the world.
- Home Assist. Home Assist will organise tradespeople to come to your home when you have a problem that needs urgent attention.
- Mastercard Travel and Lifestyle Services Programme. World Mastercard holders have exclusive entertainment, travel and dining experiences around the world.
- Car rental upgrades. Included with your Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard is a free Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership. You’ll also get a free class upgrade when you use your credit card to book.
- Account fee waiver. If you spend at least $50,000 in a six-month period, you aren’t charged an account fee for the following six months.
Features of the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard
- Interest rate. The interest rate for purchases is 16.95% p.a. An interest rate of 22.95% p.a. applies to cash advances.
- Account fee. The annual account fee is $390. This is split into two six-monthly instalments of $195.
- Minimum credit limit. The Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard has a minimum credit limit of $18,000.
- Transfer your balance. If you successfully apply to transfer the outstanding balance from an existing credit card, you only pay 5.95% p.a. for the life of that balance.
- Interest-free days. Enjoy up to 44-days interest-free when you pay off your statement balance in full each month.
- Mastercard Priceless Cities. Being a Mastercard holder, you have access to local and global offers for dining, retail, travel and entertainment.
- Purchase protection. Purchases made with your Airpoints World Mastercard are covered for up to 90 days if they are accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also extend the manufacturer warranty by 12 months.
- No overseas transaction fee. When you use an ATM in the Global ATM Alliance the usual $2 transaction fee is waived.
- Convenient shopping. Connect your Westpac accounts to your Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard so you only need to carry one card. Mastercard PayPass allows you to make contactless payments, with a PIN number only required for transactions over $200.
How to apply
Before applying for the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard, make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the appropriate documentation. You should also check that you understand the rates, fees and terms and compare with other similar credit cards.
To start your application, visit your local Westpac branch or complete the form on the Westpac website. Applying online takes 5-10 minutes, and once you submit your form, you can expect to hear back from Westpac within 1-2 working days. If you are an existing Westpac customer, you can apply through your Internet banking account.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Have an appropriate regular income to meet repayments
Westpac needS to verify your identity and income once your application has been approved. To do this, you need to visit a branch with the following documents:
- Photo ID: A valid passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent bank statement, government-issued letter or utility bill
- Proof of income: Westpac recommends providing three months of bank statements from your main transactional account, which should be the account where your income is credited.
Other documentation may be required depending on your circumstances – for example, if you are a foreign tax resident of another country. Westpac advises you if this is the case.
The bottom line
Can you have it all? Maybe, with the Westpac Airpoints World Mastercard. From on-call concierge services to Home Assist arranging tradespeople for your home, it has many benefits. However, although it has the lowest purchase interest rate of all Westpac’s Airpoints credit cards, at 16.95% p.a., it does come with a substantial annual fee of $390. So make sure you compare all your options before you make a decision.