Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard Review
Earn Airpoints Dollars and enjoy Platinum benefits.
The Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard is worth considering for anyone that wants a higher credit limit, likes to travel and likes to be rewarded for spending. This card not only earns you Airpoints Dollars on eligible spend, but you also get Status Points for the Air New Zealand frequent flyer programme. You can enjoy lounge access and travel perks with a discount for Koru, and for each trip you take of up to 35 days you’ll have access to travel insurance cover.
|Product Name||Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard|
|Rewards Program||Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||20.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$10,000|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||35 days|
Benefits of the Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard
- Earn Airpoints Dollars. For every $75 you spend on eligible purchases with your Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard you’ll earn 1 Airpoints Dollar. Airpoints Dollars can be redeemed for a variety of rewards including flights, upgrades, rental cars, travel insurance, gifts, merchandise and Mitre 10 products.
- Status Points. For every $225 you spend on your card you’ll receive 1 Status Point. As you earn more Status Points you’ll move up through the Air New Zealand frequent flyer membership tiers. Each tier comes with different benefits such as lounge access, priority service, upgrades and extra luggage allowance.
- Koru membership. The Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard gives you a $145 discount on the annual Koru programme membership rate plus the joining fee is waived. Koru membership provides a series of benefits including premium check-in, priority baggage and lounge access.
- Overseas travel insurance. Get overseas travel insurance for you and your family on trips of up to 35 days when you meet Westpac’s terms and conditions.
- Airpoints Dollars Advance. If you don’t have enough Airpoints Dollars for a reward that you want you can get an advance of up to 200 Airpoints Dollars.
- No expiry for Airpoints Dollars. As long as you are a current cardholder, your Airpoints Dollars will never expire.
- Purchase protection. When you pay for goods using your Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard you’ll get Purchase Protection Insurance in case those items are lost, stolen or damaged. You are also able to extend the manufacturer’s warranty for 12 months with Extended Warranty Insurance.
Features of the Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard
- Interest rate. An interest rate of 20.95% p.a. applies to purchases. Cash advances have an interest rate of 22.95% p.a.
- Account fee. This card has an annual account fee of $150 paid in two 6-monthly instalments.
- Minimum credit limit. The minimum credit limit you can apply for with the Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard is $10,000.
- Joint and additional cards. You can request joint and additional cards with each costing $25 a year.
- Interest-free days. Get up to 44 days interest-free when you pay off your statement balance in full each month.
- No international transaction fee. The $2 transaction fee is waived when you use a Global ATM Alliance ATM overseas.
- Balance transfer. You can apply to transfer the balance from your existing credit card to your Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard. If your application is approved, you’ll pay only 5.95% p.a on that balance until it is paid off.
- CardGuard. CardGuard protects you from fraudulent activity at any time of day.
- Mastercard PayPass. When shopping in-store, use your Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard for contactless payments. No PIN is required for transactions under $200.
- Mastercard Priceless Cities. Mastercard holders have access to exclusive offers for travel, retail, dining and entertainment both at home and overseas.
How to apply
First it’s worth comparing the Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard against other Airpoints-earning credit cards to make sure you’re getting the best deal. If you have decided that the Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard is right for you, make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the appropriate documentation. You can apply by visiting a Westpac branch during opening hours, or fill in an application form online at a time that suits you. The online application will take 5-10 minutes to complete.
- Be 18 years or older
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Be living in New Zealand
- Receive an income of at least $15,000 per year
If you are a new customer, Westpac will need to verify your income, identity and proof of address. When your credit card application is approved, you will be asked to take the following documents into a branch:
- Valid photo ID: Your passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, government letter or store account statement
- Proof of income: 3 months’ of bank statements
Westpac will inform you of any other documents that are required.