Westpac Airpoints Mastercard Review
You can still earn Airpoints Dollars with Westpac’s lowest annual account fee Airpoints credit card.
If you’re looking for a credit card with low fees and the ability to earn travel rewards, the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard is worth considering. As well as being able to earn Airpoints Dollars for all eligible spend, you can take advantage of special Mastercard holder offers to use both at home and abroad.
The Westpac Airpoints Mastercard gives you the opportunity to transfer existing credit card balances and pay a lower interest rate, plus international transaction fees are waived when you use participating ATMs.
|Product Name||Westpac Airpoints Mastercard|
|Balance Transfer Limit||95%|
|Purchase Rate||20.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$500|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% of transaction value or $5, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$8|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||N/A|
Benefits of the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard
- Earn Airpoints Dollars. For every $130 you spend on eligible purchases with your Westpac Airpoints Mastercard you earn 1 Airpoints Dollar. Airpoints Dollars can be redeemed for rewards such as products and gifts, flights, upgrades, travel insurance, rental cars and more.
- Mastercard Priceless. Being a Mastercard holder, you gain access to exceptional dining, travel, retail and entertainment offers, both locally and globally.
- Airpoints Dollars Advance. If you don’t have enough Airpoints Dollars for a reward, you can get up to 50 Airpoints Dollars advanced to you.
- Interest-free days. Get up to 55 days interest-free credit on all purchases when you pay your statement balance in full.
Features of the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard
- Interest rate. An interest rate of 20.95% p.a. applies to purchases and a rate of 22.95% p.a. applies to cash advances.
- Account fee. You are charged an annual account fee of $55, split into 6-monthly payments of $27.50.
- Credit limit. The Westpac Airpoints Mastercard has a minimum credit limit of $500.
- Monthly repayments. Each month you will be required to pay $5 or 2% of the balance owing, whichever is greater.
- Joint and additional cards. For each additional or joint card that you request there will be an annual fee of $15.
- Transfer your balance. You could pay just 5.95% p.a. on the life of transferred balances if Westpac accepts your application.
- CashNav. Westpac CashNav lets you track your spending. It also arranges your spending in categories to see where your money goes and helps you understand your money habits.
- No international transaction fee. When you withdraw money from an ATM in the Global ATM Alliance, you won’t pay the usual $2 transaction fee.
- Mastercard PayPass. Tap and go by using contactless technology on in-store purchases.
- CardGuard. Westpac screens your credit card transactions for anything suspicious. If Westpac suspects fraud, it blocks your card and contacts you. If your card is lost or stolen, you are not held responsible for fraudulent transactions on your card, as long as you notify Westpac immediately, and you have complied with the card’s Conditions of Use.
How to apply
Before applying for the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have compared benefits and fees with other Airpoints credit cards. If you are a new customer of Westpac, you can fill in an application form online.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Be receiving an annual income of at least $15,000 per year
Before Westpac can approve your application, you will need to prove your identity, address, expenses and income.
- Proof of identity: A New Zealand passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address: A recent utility bill, bank statement or government letter
- Proof of expenses and income: Westpac recommends showing three months of bank statements that show your credited income and your expenses.
The bottom line
With low fees and Airpoints Dollars, the Westpac Airpoints Mastercard is worth considering. Its balance transfer offer lets you transfer existing credit card balances from other banks and pay a much lower interest rate for the life of the balance. Plus, you can take advantage of unique Mastercard holder offers to use both at home and abroad. However, Westpac Airpoints Mastercard does come with a sizeable interest rate of 20.95% p.a., so be sure to compare your other options before making a decision.