⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- Tap and woe: The 8 credit card sins that 1.1 million Kiwis are guilty of
1.1 million Kiwis have committed a credit card sin in the past 12 months, according to new research by financial comparison site Finder.
- 10 healthy habits that are surprisingly easy to introduce
These 10 little changes can help you live a happier, healthier and wealthier life with a bit of willpower.
- Savvy swaps: Changes that could save you money or improve your health
SPONSORED: Live well and spend less with ease when you follow these highly recommended tips and tricks.
- New Zealand Crypto Exchanges: what features to look out for
SPONSORED: Looking for a crypto exchange and overwhelmed by choice? We take you through some of the most important features to help you make a decision.
- Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
- Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
- Best performing New Zealand shares
We present the 10 best performing shares on the NZX over the last 3 months and show you how you can invest in them.
- Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
- Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
- Day trading : What it is and how it works
How day trading works, what to watch out for and how to pick a broker.