Named the best airline in the region by Skytrax for 2017, Virgin Australia gives you the most bang for your buck in Australia/Pacific. You’ll get all the perks of full-service flights, including checked bags, in-flight food and drink and entertainment breaking the bank – especially when you take advantage of some of these offers.
If you’re a Velocity member, you can earn points through the Velocity Program for use on Virgin flights, international partner airlines, hotels and more.
We don’t currently have any Virgin Australia promo codes and deals available but here are some other flight deals:
Virgin Australia Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Virgin Australia check in procedure?
For international flights, Virgin recommends being checked in between 90 minutes and two hours prior to your flight. Online check-in is not available for international flights, so all passengers will need to check in at the airport counter.
What’s the Virgin Australia online check in procedure?
Visit Virgin’s online check-in portal and enter your booking details. You’ll need either your booking reference or Velocity number, surname and the departure airport information to check-in online.
How does the Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer program work?
Virgin Australia’s Velocity Program rewards customers with points to spend on Virgin Australia’s services like flights (including those with partner airlines), hotels, car hire, tours and activities, as well a number of goods and services on the ground. The program is free to join. To start earning and spending points enter your Velocity number at the time of booking. Velocity points can also be collected aboard flights with code share airlines, including Air New Zealand, Airberlin, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Virgin America and Virgin Atlantic. A perk of being a member, is that you may be eligible for additional extra baggage allowance on flights.
Looking for more information about the Velocity Frequent Flyer program? Check out our Complete guide to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program.
What are the Virgin Australia baggage allowances?
- Economy (Getaway, Elevate, Freedom fare) passengers are allowed to bring aboard 23kg of checked baggage for no additional fee on top of their ticket price. Silver and Gold Velocity members can bring two bags up to 23kg each and Platinum members can bring three bags up to 23kg each.
- Premium (Premium Saver and Premium fare) passengers are allowed to bring aboard two bags up to 23kg each. This limit remains the same for Silver and Gold Velocity members. Platinum members can bring three bags up to 23kg each.
- Business (Business Saver and Business fare) passengers are allowed to bring two bags up to 32kg each. The limit remains the same for Silver and Gold Velocity members. Platinum members can bring three bags up to 32kg each.
No checked baggage is included with Go fares. No bag in any class can be more than 32kg each.
What are the Virgin Australia baggage fees?
Most Virgin Australia fares include baggage, but do limit the number of pieces to one or two. For flights within Australia, the first additional piece of luggage is $70, the second piece is $90 and the third to ninth piece is $150 each. If any piece is overweight, there is an additional charge of $70 per overweight bag. For international short-haul flights departing Australia, the first piece of luggage is $120, the second piece is $200, and the third to ninth piece is $250 each. If any piece of overweight, there is an additional charge of $120 per overweight bag. For international long-haul flights to the Americas, the fee departing Australia is $150 per additional bag with an additional charge of $100 per overweight bag. For flights departing the Americas, it’s US$150 per additional bag, with an additional charge of US$100 per overweight bag. For long-haul flights to other international destinations, excess baggage fees are calculated per kilogram and range from $30-$70 per kilogram.
How can I check a Virgin Australia flight status?
To check a flight status, you can either check directly on Virgin Australia’s website and searching by flight number, or checking the website of the arriving airport.
What is Virgin Australia’s Velocity Program and how can I use my points?
Virgin Australia’s Velocity Program is a loyalty program that allows customers to earn and spend points on Virgin Australia’s services such as flights (including those with partner airlines), hotels, car hire, tours and activities, as well a number of goods and services on the ground. Members can take advantage of pet points and combine or transfer points between family members. The program is free to join. To start earning and spending points simply enter your Velocity number at the time of booking. You can now redeem Velocity Points for Tigerair flights. The partner airline has recently joined Virgin’s frequent Flyer program, and points can be used towards flights, taxes, checked baggage, in-flight meals and more. You can also use points toward part of Tigerair flights in Australia and choose to pay the rest with a credit card or bank transfer.
How do I book Virgin Australia holidays?
You can book a holiday through Virgin Australia the same way you book a flight. Simply enter your departure place and destination, numbers of guests, and travel dates and click ‘Search’ to browse through the options.
What forms of payment does Virgin Australia accept?
- American Express
- Diners Club
- Travel Bank
- Gift Voucher (only via the call centre)
What is Virgin Australia’s cancellation and refunds policy?
All bookings can be cancelled, however not all are refundable. You may be charged fees to cancel and/or make changes to your flight depending on your ticket class (Saver Lite, Saver, Flexi, Business). Detailed information about the fare rules of your particular flight can be found on your itinerary and on the Virgin Australia website.
Virgin Australia Review | Pros and Cons
- Get more value with the Velocity Program. Combine your reservations and shop with Virgin’s partners to earn and spend loyalty points on a range of goods and services.
- Book everything in the same place. You can book flights, hotels, car hire, tours and take out travel insurance in just a few easy steps through Virgin Australia’s online portal.
- Easy online management. Log into your Virgin Australia account to make changes and manage your reservations easily.
- Call centre fees apply. Cancellations and changes made through the call centre will incur a fee of $35. Manage your booking online to avoid extra fees.