TINZ Travel Insurance Review

Compare TINZ Travel Insurance policies to find the right level of cover for your next trip.

Underwritten by Lloyds of London, TINZ has been insuring Kiwis for over 18 years. Compare cover for international and domestic travel with the option to purchase a policy when you’re already at your destination.

What policies does TINZ travel insurance offer?

Frequent Traveller

The Frequent Traveller policy is suited to someone who takes multiple trips during a year and doesn’t want to have to worry about getting a new insurance policy every time they travel. You can take as many trips as you need within the year and are covered for domestic travel.

Already Overseas

If you’ve left New Zealand and forgot to get your insurance sorted, you can purchase a policy while you’re overseas. You still get the same benefits as you would if you’d bought the policy back home, but there is a 72-hour waiting period on all claims.


Because things can still go wrong even if you are just travelling in New Zealand, you can purchase a Domestic policy and have cover for baggage, cancellation, rental vehicle excess and other benefits. To be eligible, your trip must be for no longer than 92 days and you need to be at least 50km away from home.


The Comprehensive policy is for single trips overseas where you want to be covered for everything from personal liability and medical, through to loss of income, luggage and rental vehicle excess. You can also upgrade to the Comprehensive Plus policy, which has higher limits in some cases.


The Essentials plan is for those looking for basic cover for medical, luggage and personal liability.

Benefits of TINZ travel insurance

  • 24/7 assistance. TINZ has a 24/7 emergency assistance helpline so you can get the help you need at any time of day or night.
  • Medical. Unlimited overseas medical expenses, with up to $1,000 for emergency dental.
  • Personal liability. Up to $5 million if you damage property or injure another person while on your trip.
  • Cruises. Cover is automatically included if you are heading on a cruise.
  • Travel delay. Compensation if you are delayed more than six hours.
  • Terrorism. If you are affected by a terrorism attack, your medical costs (up to $10 million) and flight home will be taken care of.
  • Motorbikes. As long as the driver has a valid licence and you are wearing a helmet, you are covered for any accidents while being a passenger on a motorbike or scooter.
  • Cancellation. If you need to travel home early due to unforeseen events, you won’t lose out as cancellation costs are covered.
  • Rental vehicle. $6,000 to cover your rental vehicle excess if you get into an accident or damage the vehicle.
  • Children. Financially dependent children under the age of 21 are covered when travelling with a parent or grandparent.

Additional options available

  • High-value items. You can increase your per item limit for high-value items such as laptops and camera equipment.
  • Snow ski cover. Add on cover for skiing and snowboarding trips, with cover for winter sports equipment, piste closure, bad weather delays and theft or loss of your ski pass.
  • Sport & activities cover. While some sports and activities are covered within your policy, you can pay an additional premium for the higher risk activities that you plan to do while on your trip. Keep in mind, some sports and activities can’t be covered at all.

TINZ travel insurance claims

To submit a claim with TINZ, follow these instructions:

  • Launch the online claim form from the TINZ website.
  • Enter your policy number and personal details.
  • Enter details about what you are claiming for.
  • Input your expenses.
  • Provide your payment details.
  • Submit the form.

Who is eligible for TINZ travel insurance?

TINZ travel insurance policies are available to New Zealand residents. However, there are some age restrictions to TINZ policies, including:

  • Single Trip Overseas. No age limit, but travellers 70 years and older can only purchase for a maximum of 6 months, whereas travellers 69 years and younger can purchase for up to 18 months.
  • Already Overseas. Available for travellers 74 years and younger. For those 69 years and under, you can take out a policy of up to 18 months, compared to only 6 months for 70-74 year olds.
  • Frequent Traveller. 64 years is the maximum age.

If you are unsure if you meet the residency requirements, please contact TINZ for more information.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site