Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Holiday Rescue travel insurance
Compare Holiday Rescue travel insurance policies that offer first-class medical care.
With a worldwide network of hand-chosen medical providers, you can have confidence in the travel protection that Holiday Rescue travel insurance (HRTI) provides.
Holiday Rescue offers well-thought-out policies and it values quality of care, which is why you receive unlimited medical cover, with all overseas policies, and 24/7 access to a registered nurse in case of an emergency abroad. So when this company says it wants to change the face of travel insurance, it means it.
What policies can I choose from and how do they compare?
As part of its mission to transform travel insurance, Holiday Rescue offers a few no-nonsense, easy-to-understand policies: One for domestic travel, just called Domestic and two for international travel, Essentials and Comprehensive.
As you’ll see, the policies are so easy to understand, that the only difference between them is the number of benefits on offer. The benefit amounts are the same across the board if Holiday Rescue offers it in that specific policy.
|Holiday cancellation and changes|
|Alternative Travel Expenses|
|Rental vehicle excess|
|Passports, documents, and bank cards|
|Luggage and Personal Effects|
What does a Holiday Rescue policy cover?
Here are some common situations Holiday Rescue covers if your policy contains the benefit mentioned:
- You get appendicitis overseas and need medical attention (international only). Emergency medical covers you for unlimited medical expenses overseas, and that includes transportation to the hospital, medical bills and the cost of a family member or friend to be by your side. The cover even includes emergency air transportation, including flying you back to New Zealand if needed.
- A thief snatches your wallet as you take it out to pay for your hot dog (comprehensive only). Under personal items and cash, Holiday Rescue replaces anything valuable that’s lost or stolen. If documents go missing, the passport, document and bank card cover helps you pay to replace them.
- Someone keys your rental car while you’re buying groceries (all policies). If you have to claim on a rental vehicle without insurance, you could be facing an out-of-pocket expense of $3,000+. The rental car excess benefit on all three HRTI policies caps that at $500.
- You have to have emergency surgery a week before your trip (all policies). If it’s for a good reason, you can cancel your whole trip and get your money back under your policy’s holiday cancellation and changes benefit; this also applies to other emergencies like a death in the family or a disaster striking your home.
- You arrive at your destination, but your luggage doesn’t (comprehensive only). You won’t be without supplies because the luggage delay benefit gives you cash to buy what you need until your luggage arrives.
- A screw up by the airline means you might miss the wedding you’re attending (all policies). Usually, you’d only have cover for a few inconveniences like out-of-pocket expenses. However, if it’s a special event like a wedding, a special event delay benefit pays for last-minute transportation to get you there.
- You pass away on your trip (all policies). The funeral section of your policy helps ease the burden for your family if you pass away.
What are the other options on offer from Holiday Rescue Travel Insurance?
The only other option HRTI offers is cruise insurance, and you tack that on as an option after you get your quote. It doesn’t change anything regarding your benefits or limits. The only difference is that your premium goes up slightly and your benefits now also apply at sea.
HRTI automatically includes ski and snowboard cover. It also includes pregnancy, but your protection is limited if you’re more than 20 weeks pregnant.
What excess do I have to pay?
About half of your benefits have no excess, and half have an excess of $100 per claim.
Here’s what the excess is, for each claim you make:
|Emergency dental||$100 per event||$100 per event||$0|
|Holiday cancellation and changes||$100 per event||$100 per event||$100 per event|
|Special event delays||$100 per event||$100 per event||$100 per event|
|Rental vehicle excess||$100 per event||$100 per event||$100 per event|
|Passports, documents and bank cards||$100 per event||$100 per event||$100 per event|
|Luggage delay||$100 per event||$0||$0|
|Personal items and cash||$100 per event||$0||$0|
What doesn’t my policy cover?
There are a number of reasons Holiday Rescue could deny your claim:
- You have a pre-existing condition that HRTI said it wouldn’t cover.
- You’re more than 20 weeks pregnant and try to claim one of the restricted pregnancy benefits.
- Your doctor told you not to travel, but you went anyway.
- You’re trying to get HRTI to pay for cosmetic surgery.
- You’ve been drinking, doing drugs or breaking the law when the event happened.
- You cancel your trip “just because”.
- You’re going overseas to do manual work.
- You travel somewhere for which the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) issued a travel warning.
Why should I consider Holiday Rescue for my travel insurance?
Holiday Rescue aspires to be the new face of travel insurance, so it’s working hard to give you features you’ll love. Here are a few reasons to choose HRTI:
- Unlimited medical expenses with no excess
- Carefully selected network of high-quality medical providers around the world
- 24/7 worldwide emergency hotline, with a nurse at the other end
- No maximum age limit
- Children and grandchildren travel free
Can I make changes to my policy?
HRTI lets you extend your policy with the following conditions:
- You have to ask for an extension before your holiday ends.
- Your holiday can’t last more than a year, even with the extension.
- HRTI doesn’t cover you for injuries or illness that you got before the extension.
- You are not covered until you pay the additional premium.
According to the product disclosure statement (PDS), you can make changes to your policy, but you have to visit the HRTI website and submit your request online.
Can I get cover for a pre-existing medical condition?
Like most insurers, HRTI covers many pre-existing conditions. Its application form requires you to describe any pre-existing condition you have outside of “an everyday cold” or a tummy bug. You have to declare it if any of the following applies to your condition:
- You’re waiting to see a medical professional.
- You’re waiting on a test or the results of a test.
- You require ongoing treatment or check-ups.
- You’re supposed to be on medication for your condition.
- You’ve seen a medical professional in the last three months, or anytime before your holiday begins.
- You’ve had surgery or been in the hospital in the past three years.
- It’s related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; heart problems; stroke or cancer.
After you declare the condition, HRTI decides if they will cover it and treat it in one of three ways:
- They automatically cover it at no additional charge.
- They cover it if you pay an additional premium.
- They won’t cover it (but you are covered for everything else).
Can I get cover for my camera, jewellery or other expensive items?
If you have the comprehensive policy from HRTI, you have a total of $5,000 you can claim for lost and stolen items. However, there’s a limit to what you can claim for each type of item. Here are the sub-limits:
- Clothing, shoes and toiletries: $1,500
- Wedding rings, engagement rings and watches (only): $2,000
- Mobile phone and tablets: $1,000
- Laptops and cameras: $2,000
- Other personal items (excluding jewellery): $1,000
- Essential medication: $500
- Cash: $250
Most insurers let you add extra cover for high-value items. Holiday Rescue doesn’t advertise this feature, but give them a call them to find out if you can insure high-value items separately.
How do I contact HRTI?
HRTI’s 24/7 emergency assistance line is +64 9 890 9726
Here is how to contact HRTI by email if it’s more convenient for you:
- Email: General enquiries: email@example.com; Emergency Rescue: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I claim with Holiday Rescue?
Holiday Rescue makes it easy to claim with their online claims portal. Once you click “Make a claim now” you need to provide the following:
- All relevant claim info. This information includes the type of claim; the reason for your claim; a description of what happened, including the date and location.
- Your personal information. Your name; date of birth; phone number; email address; policy number and bank account details (for the claim payment).
- The total amount of money you want to claim.
- All supporting documents. Examples include receipts; police reports; medical reports; photo evidence and any other relevant document.
If you have any final questions, you may find the answer below
More guides on Finder
Countdown discount codes and coupons March 2021
Whether you want to pick up in store or get your groceries delivered to home, make sure to check out our Countdown promo codes first.
What is the best credit card to use overseas?
Compare credit cards that offer no foreign transaction fees, complimentary insurance, Airpoints and airport lounge passes so you can find the right card to take overseas.
What’s open in Christchurch right now?
Restaurants, shops, attractions and events have all reopened in Christchurch, though things are a little different from before. Here are the details.
The Hut promo codes and offers: Get 15% off
Whatever you want for your home, leisure or fashion, you can get it from The Hut.
How Kiwis can become $15,000 richer in 2021
Kiwis can boost their annual earnings by thousands of dollars by making use of their assets, time or skills, according to new research by Finder, a financial research and comparison site in New Zealand.
8 ways to pocket $15,000 in 2021
Want to make more money in 2021? From a new side hustle to shopping around for the best deal, we show you how you can make up to $15,000.
How much can you really make as an Uber driver?
Is signing up as an UberX driver worth it? Use the calculator and read our guide to find out how much you might expect to make.
Finder’s 2021 Bitcoin Predictions Report
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
Finder Car Insurance Consumer Survey 2020
We asked more than 2,000 Kiwis about their experiences with and thoughts on car insurance in New Zealand. This is what they said.
Toyota HiLux vs Ford Ranger
Find out which ute, the Ford Ranger or Toyota HiLux comes out on top.